Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Not a simple yes-or-no question :)    

Not a simple yes-or-no question :)

ninon100
Russian Federation

Not a simple yes-or-no question :)

Dear colleagues,
Is it Ok if we add the word "yes" or "no" at the end of the question to clarify? Like - 
You�re a new employee, yes?
You�re a new employee, no?

Sounds a bit weird to me, though, but I believe some people will use such constructions all the time. 

22 Apr 2019      

douglas
United States

I usually hear this from non-native speakers. In my experience, native speakers rarely do this. I might say: "You�re a new employee, aren�t you?" but wold rarely end the sentence with an interrogative yes or no.

23 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It sounds a bit patronising to me. Youngsters do it, mind, but usually with a �yeah?� at the end of their question. At the other end of the scale, teachers might do it. �So, we are all agreed? A triangle has three sides? Yes?�

This thread is interesting.

23 Apr 2019     

ninon100
Russian Federation

What a fascinating thread, that one https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/tag-question-yes-no-right-ok.42016/
Thank you!
Bottom line: "right?" and "Ok?" are preferable, "yes?" and "no?" are mostly used by non-native speakers and very rarely by natives and have a comic effect in the latter case. So we should avoid them, although they are not really mistakes.
I�m right, aren�t I? (not "..., no?")

23 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You are right, yes. 

23 Apr 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Hi Lynne, I always read your answers cause I learn much from you... When you said: Youngsters do it, mind, but usually with a ´yeah?´ you put the word "mind" between commas, which I can tell it means "of course" for that reason... I tried to search for this meaning to make sure of it, and also to keep it in my personal vocabulary notes, but I could not see any meaning that could be closed to "clear" "of course"... Could you tell me (if you know...) where I can find that meaning to mark or label the word in my vocabulary list... Thanks so much for everything Lynne, you are the best!
Aisha ;) 

23 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Aisha,
The way I have used that �mind� is a bit colloquial. It means �take note� or �be aware�, something like that. I have googled it just now and usually �mind� as a verb is used to warn people, �Mind out the way!� etc. Or to look after/babysit: �will you mind the kids for a couple of hours?�  I can�t find anything which explains this usage of it, but I�m going to have a thorough look! Where I live (God�s own county) we use it all the time. My niece is the worst, when telling off her son! She�ll say, �I�m telling you, mind, if you touch that, I�ll ....� 
Sorry I don�t think I�ve been terribly helpful here. I�ll mind what I write in future! 
Lynne  

I am genuinely shocked! I intended to include a link for you to God�s own county - and Kerala came up!!! It�s Yorkshire! 

Edit: Oh wow! Kerala gets the prize; it looks wonderful! I want to live there!

23 Apr 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

What I said: YOU ARE THE BEST! 
Love the way you are in every single way, thanks for your speech and about "God�s own county" saying, 
Don�t you worry about not have helped me, cause you did, I understood well the meaning and I will just write it on my own words and will learn it well, I will try to use it as much as possible...
Thanks once more!
Aisha ;) 
PD: I haven�t been to Yorkshire, but all around the UK is wonderful! 
EDIT: Kerala is the paradise!!

23 Apr 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks Aisha and we are agreed about Kerala!

Hey you guys, remember the meet-up in Barcelona? Well, can we swap it to Kerala instead? 

23 Apr 2019     

67Englishteacher
France

Lynne, would you agree that your use of "mind" is short for "mind you"? Maybe a way to rephrase the whole sentence would be: "let me remind you that youngsters...". I�d never thought about it, but that�s what this interesting conversation inspires to me :)

23 Apr 2019     

67Englishteacher
France

Lynne, would you agree that your use of "mind" is short for "mind you"? Maybe a way to rephrase the whole sentence would be: "let me remind you that youngsters...". I�d never thought about it, but that�s what this interesting conversation inspires to me :)

23 Apr 2019     

1    2    Next >