Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > About my wprksheet - For or against    

About my wprksheet - For or against

s.lefevre
Brazil

About my wprksheet - For or against

Dear all

I don�t know who of you have seen my worksheet "for or against the use of the Muslim veil in public". First of all, I want to o say that I don�t have any opinion about the matter, but is has been a discussion point in some European countries. My worksheet just opens this discussion and everybody has the right to give an opinion. Unfortunately I got some nasty p.ms. It isn�t my intention to hurt any religion and of course, this discussion isn�t meant for Muslim countries where I wore a headscarf, long sleeves and trousers myself as long as I was in public. Those are the rules in Iran and I followed them. But I don�t understand why we can�t discuss any matter as long as it isn�t offensive.

1 Jun 2019      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

That is a well-balanced presentation of the arguments; I don�t see why people need to get offensive. You have nowhere indicated that you want women to take their hijabs off. If people don�t like your ws, they should move on. I can feel your dismay, Silvia, but forget it. By the way, I have tackled the wearing of the burqa in a picture based discussion, also what constitutes terrorism and arranged marriages. Freedom of speech!
Edit: also, Freedom of speech versus the right to not be offended.

1 Jun 2019     

karagozian
France

Fully agree with Silvia and Sylvie. There is nothing to be nasty about and this is no place to be nasty. How strange that I had the intuition that this would happen !

1 Jun 2019     

L. habach
Morocco

It is considered indecent and biased to interfere in other people�s religions or cultures. Your experience in Iran is the result of a regime. Have you ever visited other muslim states? Don�t you say "when in Rome, do as the Romans". So, when in Iran, do as the Iranians. By teachilg your students to evaluate and assess other cultures, you are teaching them �bigotry, hatred and pushing their noses in things that are none of their businesses. Remember: different doesn�t mean wrong.  Muslim teachers would never dare to discuss your cultures. "You�ve got your religion and we�ve got ours," the Coran. Have a nice day!

1 Jun 2019     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Unfortunately, you haven�t understood anything about the worksheet. Again, it is not about religion, but about an issue that is being discussed in some European countries. As some governments want to ban the scarf in schools and workplaces, I find it appropriate that the concerned population can discuss too. I have never said that I am against the use, but you can�t pretend that the issue doesn�t exist. What kind of teacher does not  have the liberty to discuss? You, it seems.

1 Jun 2019     

karagozian
France

I went thouroughly through your ws again. It is well balanced with pros and cons and absolutely not offensive. I remember making a worksheet "for or against arranged marriages". I do not see any difference. These wss elicit speaking and debating in our classes.

1 Jun 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The idea that you mustn�t express an opinion about other cultures is contrary to freedom of speech and furthermore, anti-education. Quite honestly, I am shocked at this opinion! However, @L.Habach, I accept that it is your opinion, however deluded I may find it and indeed you have the right to express it.

1 Jun 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

L. Habach used the word "interfere" with other cultures. I don�t believe a worksheet or discussion is interference. A worksheet or discussion can explain, introduce the topic, and educate students who are unfamiliar with the custom.

1 Jun 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

I think if you were to add "in Western Schools" or something, it might take the sting out of it. Speaking from experience, I leave religion or politics alone unless I know the students very well and even then, I prefer to assign them their opinions and tell them to defend or argue according to the opinion they have been given. When I first started teaching, there were a couple of topics used that ended up with some very ugly opinions expressed in the classroom which made everybody uncomfortable. If there are Muslims in the class, they could be made to feel uncomfortable, which would be unfair. It is an interesting topic for a number of reasons, but it all depends on who is in the classroom and the kinds of opinions that surface. Personally, I would rather run a mile in tight shoes than debate anything to do with religion or politics. 

2 Jun 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Absolutely Dale, I agree with you. There are classes where I wouldn�t dream of approaching topics associated with religion. Sometimes, it can be worthwhile though and that the choice is available to educators has to be a positive. 

2 Jun 2019     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Just to finish this discussion. I have changed the title of my worksheet to For or against the use of the Muslim headscarf in public schools and workplaces in Western countries. I also put an explanation that the discussion is not about the use of the scarf for Muslim women in their counties, but about the BAN of the scarf in schools and workplaces  that some European counties  want to impose. That was the intention of the discussion and NEVER if Women should use or not. 

2 Jun 2019     

1    2    Next >