Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dinner, Tea or Supper?    

Dinner, Tea or Supper?

Aisha77
Spain

Bruce: parallel universes??

29 Jun 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Bruce, I want to see it! @Jayho - Devonshire tea, that makes sense! 

30 Jun 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

As far as the pronunciation of scone is concerned, my advice to learners is always to defer to the original, ie Scots, pronunciation, which is /skɔn/ (rhymes with John) � although to exercise caution when in deepest Little Englandshire. However, if they were touring around our beautiful country and wanted to know where to find the place our Scottish kings were traditionally crowned, they should ask for /sku:n/ (the only time you�ll get scone to rhyme with �soon�).

And talking of originals, the etymon for the English word �dinner� � as someone pointed out earlier � is the French d�ner, which originally had the meaning �take the first meal of the day� ("prendre le repas du matin"), which itself has exactly the same etymon as the modern French word for �breakfast� (d�jeuner). And there you have it: as good an illustration as any of the shifting nature of lexical and semantic change, the dynamics of borrowing and the perils of giving unquestioning credence to anyone who insists that that the original is always the best 

30 Jun 2019     

maryse pey�
France

How yummy this discussion !

Let�s prepare a giant Devonshire tea for all the members !

As far as I�m concerned about the pronunciation of "scone" I was taught indifferently one or the other one ! And soon I will eat one with you all !

And, as you say Almaz, etymology is really interesting. About a French word like "�nerv�" (in English "agitated" or "angry") the very 1st meaning comes from the Middle Ages and it was a torture. It consisted in cutting someone�s nerves to make them unable to move. Then you linked the person on a raft and pushed them on the river... What a shift of meaning, isn�t it ? Today it means "moving too much" instead !!!

Hugs.

Maryse.

30 Jun 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Wow! Maryse! That topic gives me the creeps! We have also that word, "enervado", as well as "agitado" and I could have never imagined the meaning!  How strange is the language...

30 Jun 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Almaz! Deepest Little Englandshire indeed! Now then, I don�t think anybody cares about how you say �scone�; you wouldn�t be likely to elicit the English equivalent of a Glasgow kiss*, whatever that would be. It does highlight some of the idiosyncrasies of the English language, though. I love Scotland and I wouldn�t stereotype the folks. I�m on Harris at the moment; it�s so beautiful. I was once pulled up by a Scottish man when I claimed that Scotland has the best beaches in the world, he muttered something about the Caribbean. Well, I was at Scarista  beach on Friday, in fantastic weather ... and I can confirm that I am right! I�ll pop a photo on the teachers� cafe if I can... What is wonderful about beaches in Scotland? Fine, white sand, stretching into the distance, clear turquoise sea and normally, you have the beach to yourself. The negative? Oh here we go, an English person whingeing about the weather! I won�t do it!  However, we need some trees on Lewis and Harris, most of the island is barren. Apparently, some 22 million trees were planted in Scotland last year; they need to reach the Hebrides. 
Enerv�, yikes, Maryse!  Literally, �nerv�! 
 Edit: my photos are too big, I�ll get my son to upload a few when I get back as I don�t know how to reduce photo size. 
Lynne  

Noun. Glasgow kiss (plural Glasgow kisses) (Britain, euphemistic, humorous) A sharp, sudden headbutt to the nose, usually resulting in a broken nose.

30 Jun 2019     

maryse pey�
France

Keep calm Lynne ! Keep calm ! Don�t be �nerv�e (you are female... "enerv�" is for a male).

And you are right, today this word also means �to be really excited, impatient�.

And what about accents ? I don�t mean the pronunciation at all but these little signs existing in French, Italian or Spanish.

In French we write "h�pital" but English writes "hospital" like in old French. Yes, you have noticed well : the accent has replaced the missing "s". Same for "forest" ! English writes like in old French and modern French writes "for�t". That is because the �s� is no longer pronounced but it is in �forestier�, �hospitalier� from the same roots !

It exists excellent books about the infulence of languages on the others. I think of Henriette Walter who wrote "Honni soit qui mal y pense". A very interesting book explaining the evolving and mixing of French and English through History... I don�t know if she was translated in other lanuguages but the ones of you able to read the French version will be seduced, I am sure !

And Henriette Walter�s style is really appealing !

Just a little riddle for you - please the French members don�t give clues ! - what is the meaning of the old French term �HOMICIDER� ?

Hugs.

Maryse. 

30 Jun 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Maryse, as a French teacher, I must point out that I was referring just to the word, as in, nerves taken out... denerved, maybe, and not applying it to myself;-) as, besides being a French teacher, I am as cool as a cucumber. And I would lapse into French to prove my credentials, but then I�d have to fiddle with the accents and I�m lazy... Well, I am on holiday. That�s my excuse and I�m sticking to it;-) 
When is the Devonshire tea anyway? And where is Bruce�s post???
Lynne  

30 Jun 2019     

maryse pey�
France

Oh, sorry Lynne for my mistake...

I am a little dizzzzzzzzy with the heat...

And I have noticed too that you are looking for some freshness with a salad of cucumber... May I add some tomatoes ? But will they suit with the cucumber sandwiches of the Devonshire tea then ?

On holiday... I am just starting mine ! And ACTUALLY lazier than you, I�m afraid !

And the riddle is not just for you but as a �transparent� word exists in English, I thought that a short summer game - easy of course - will be a good idea.  ;)

I am sure you will agree that games are one of the best way to catch the students� attention ?

And the discussion is interesting. So I felt like to sharing my ideas here. I am sure that we will be given other surprising details in other languages ! I hope so at least !

Hugs.

Maryse.

30 Jun 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Hey Almaz! So, is it tea or dinner in your neck of the Scottish woods?
Love the poem, Lynne! Personally, I prefer salted butter on mine. SLURP!
Right, I�m off for my tea before it gets too late.  

30 Jun 2019     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >