Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dinner, Tea or Supper?    

Dinner, Tea or Supper?

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Homicider definition. In these days of automation and mass production, homicider is really special. It is an artisan cider, made by hand. Well, I can�t approve fully, as it is man made, no women allowed;-) homi (made by man) cider (fragrant apple drink). 

30 Jun 2019     

maryse pey�
France

A 1st crazy daffynition ! Yep !
I have nothing against a FRESH glass of cider made by man hands !

But once again will that suit with cucumber sandwiches, scones and salted butter on bread ?

30 Jun 2019     

yanogator
United States

OK, Lynne, I�ll recreate my post.

In the US, we mostly say breakfast, lunch and either dinner or supper, depending on which your family traditionally says, except that on Sundays, it is breakfast, dinner and supper. That is consistent with dinner being the largest meal of the day. Generally, though, if you eat your evening meal in a restaurant, it is dinner, no matter what your family would call it at home.

On Are You Being Served, Mrs. Slocombe reprimanded Miss Brahms for calling the noon meal "dinner", telling her that only the lower classes (or the "dead common", as she termed it) call it that.

Bruce 

30 Jun 2019     

karagozian
France

OH, let�s brunch together now !

1 Jul 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

Oh, and in Scotland, the difference between a tea and a supper is often whether you decide to sit in or have a carry-out (possibly to be eaten in some sylvan sitooterie somewhere).

1 Jul 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

As it goes, deep fried mars bars are completely divine. Not good for you, but the taste is pretty damn good.

1 Jul 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

How long does one deep fry tem?

1 Jul 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

You�ll have to google that one, Mary. The Scots are reluctant to hand that secret over, and who can blame them? Kind of reminiscent of the Chinese with the silk trade and mulberry trees. Just look what happened there. 
Quite honestly, I would imagine they are deep fried at a pretty high temperature as the mars bars are done in the same oil as the fish and chips. If I am not mistaken, I think the mars bars are frozen when they are battered. I can�t remember where I heard it but there it is.

1 Jul 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Thanks, Dale. On my to do list. While I�m at it I think I will look for a recipe for scones.

1 Jul 2019     

almaz
United Kingdom

Spinney, there�s an embedded link in the Guardian article ("Yes, this really is the best fish supper money can buy") I linked to above. 
The linked article mentions that this "novelty item" has its own Wikipedia page which states that "the chocolate bar is typically chilled before battering to prevent it from melting into the frying fat". 

And, of course, if you wanted your deep-fried confection with chips, you�d ask for a �Mars supper�... 

2 Jul 2019     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >