Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Ask for help    

Ask for help

dangminh
Vietnam

Ask for help

Hi everyone!Please help me to put the verb in the correct tense:

At the meeting, John ………………..…(not/speak) until someone…………………..(ask) him some questions.

14 Aug 2019      

jannabanna
France

At the meeting, John didn�t speak until someone asked him some questions. 

14 Aug 2019     

adkal
Slovakia

I would say:
At the meeting, John didn´t speak until someone had asked him some questions.

14 Aug 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

I agree with Adkal.

I fact, I think that I would be even more emphatic:

"At the meeting, John did not speak untll someone had asked him some questions."

14 Aug 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with jannabanana for American usage.

14 Aug 2019     

yanogator
United States

I agree with everybody! As Mary said, Jannabanna�s answer reflects current US usage, but "had asked" is still correct in formal US English.

Bruce 

14 Aug 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you for that kind concession, Bruce.  It�s a pity about the US usage; something has been lost there. 
Lynne  

15 Aug 2019     

sadbird
Belarus

Am I wrong to use the verbs in the following way: Hadn�t been speaking/ asked According to the sequence of tenses first he didn�t speak and later someone asked him a question.

15 Aug 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Bruce that the past perfect is used in American English. Googling turned up the hypothesis that educated Americans use the past perfect and less educated Americans substitute simple past in situations where past perfect would be more suitable. Lynne is right that something is lost when this happens. I believe that precision is lost. 🎓

15 Aug 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks Bruce and Mary! Another thing I�ve noticed creeping in is this �I wish I would have done that� instead of �I wish I had done that� etc. I can see the logic here as you didn�t actually do it, but it still grates to hear that usage!

16 Aug 2019     

dangminh
Vietnam

Thank you for your help.

16 Aug 2019     

1    2    Next >