Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Countable or uncountable?    

Countable or uncountable?

roael
Brazil

Countable or uncountable?

Do we say I need to buy a lettuce or I need to buy some lettuce?
Thanks in advance. 

18 Sep 2019      

FrauSue
France

Hi Roael,

Both are possible.
A lettuce is one single vegetable.
Some lettuce is more vague - it could refer to several lettuces, or a bag of pre-washed leaves. 

18 Sep 2019     

mistertroy2000
Japan

We say "I need to buy a head of lettuce." or "I need to buy some lettuce." If you need to heads, you say "I need two heads of lettuce." the heads (whole round units) are countable. If you want to put lettuce on your sandwich, it�s uncountable and you�d say "I need to put some lettuce on my sandwich." If you are extremely picky and want a specific amount of lettuce on your sandwich, you can say "I�d like two (three, four, five...) leaves of lettuce." We never say "I need a lettuce." please do not teach that to your students.

18 Sep 2019     

kohai
Latvia

Countable AND uncountable. The difference has already been explained in the previous answers.

Honestly speaking, till today, I thought that lettuce can only be uncountable, but even in Oxford Advanced Learner�s Dictionary one of the example sentences says 
"Buy a lettuce and some tomatoes."

18 Sep 2019     

roael
Brazil

Thanks.

18 Sep 2019     

douglas
United States

Is this a BE / AE thing? I don�t think I have ever used lettuce as a countable noun.

19 Sep 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Douglas, you are right, for the American slang lettuce is JUST uncountable, but for British can be both, depending on if you are talking about the lettuce as a whole bud or just the sliced pieces in a salad or similar... 
edit: btw, mistertroy2000  in British English you can say one lettuce, two lettuces and so on so it is perfectly fine to teach that if you are teaching British English instead of American...

19 Sep 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, I am English and I buy a lettuce, usually an iceberg lettuce, btw. You can buy packets of pre-washed, pre-shredded lettuce. Most packets are actually mixed leaves, rather than straight lettuce. 

19 Sep 2019     

douglas
United States

Cool! I learned something new. :)

OBTW: We buy heads of lettuce (or bags, packages, etc.)-- it�s not just slang

20 Sep 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

What the hell is wrong with Americans??? A lettuce is a lettuce as a turnip is a turnip, or a horse is a horse. 

20 Sep 2019     

FrauSue
France

Thanks Cunliffe and Aisha for backing me up! I was starting to wonder if too much time abroad had made my English wobbly ...

21 Sep 2019     

1    2    Next >