Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > My activities have more than 300 KB. Help to diminish them.    

My activities have more than 300 KB. Help to diminish them.

debinha28
Brazil

My activities have more than 300 KB. Help to diminish them.

I need a help. I am new in the site and I am having a great difficulty. When I go to scanner a picture, it comes very heavy, then I can�t make activities that have colorful pictures, because it only allows up to 300 KB. Somebody knows to teach me if exists some form to diminish the quality and the picture to be less heavy? I will wait for the answer. A big kiss.

Thank you very much!!!

18 Mar 2009      

_babz
Canada

Hi there....if you could, try to divide your work into 2 worksheets, this way, you might be able to upload the work.

Now be careful, there are some users that hate this cause they feel that they have to waste 2 points to download, eventhough they waste NONE, cause most of them are premium users, and to download the work costs them NOTHING> I �d ignore their comments!

Just mention that it is 2 parts, that way they know in advance, no surprises.

As for diminishing the quality, it won �t make a difference if you make your image smaller in word, cause it reads the image �s initial size.

another thing, instead of scanning try to find pics on the web....you can see their size by right clicking on properties...
hope that helps.....

18 Mar 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

have you checked that your pictures are jpeg, jpg, or gif, for example??? they are lighter than the others!!!! You can check the file type by using paint. If you use word, there is a tool at the bar to compress images. Besides you can use PTminimizer that is a program very much used by ESLprintables �members

18 Mar 2009     

zeadjr
Brazil

Debinha,
When you use pictures,you can do this:
  Give a  fast double click on the picture and on the left corner (upside)
a window will show This:
(portuguese version)

"compactar imagem, click one time on it

choose the window options

after choose the option (email) (96 ppi)... so youclick on OK !

Try to do this!  

Hope it be useful!

hugs!

18 Mar 2009     

flaviatl
Argentina

There are great tutorials in this site, explaining how to reduce the size with different programs.
Logo �s is great! Let me see if I find the link...

18 Mar 2009     

flaviatl
Argentina

Here �s the link I was telling you about
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=107849#thetop

I hope u find it useful!

18 Mar 2009     

Nuria08
Spain

I agree with damielle. I usually store the images in jpg, because it �s lighter than bmp or others. I just select the image, go to "save as" and change its characteristics. In my computer you can also choose the image definition, and I always choose a light one. I don �t know if it �s useful for you because I work with a mac, not a PC. Anyway, I hope it helps.

18 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Try the following:

1. Search the worksheets under �tutorial �, you �ll find some really useful assistance.

2. Look at this thread - http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=5766 there are links to a few helpful discussions & software info.

3. There have been many discussions in the forum about this very topic, so if the search is working properly (& it hasn �t been working for me on many old posts) you �ll find a very large number of discussions & advice.

Good luck!

When it comes to image types you will find that .jpg or .gif will be the best format to use. Unless you know how to manipulate the images properly to maintain quality wjhile reducing the size you should try to use a program that does it for you (e.g. NXPowerlite) or the native Word options.

Scanning images is great & gives you a lot of editing & minimising control. If you know what you are doing with graphics then it is far superior to downloading graphics from the internet, so don´t give up on scanning - just learn to use some extra graphics software!

Feel free to PM me if you want some ideas about software.

Cheers,
AB

18 Mar 2009     

A.l.i.c.e.
Spain

Hi everyone! I have the size problem most of you have ever had. I �ve been trying to solve it these days but I didn �t get any results. Images are a normal size, I mean they are not what make the document overcome 300kb. This is my doubt, what �s the problem then? is there any kind of program to help me reduce the size of wss when images are not responsible for such size?

19 Mar 2009