Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > NXPowerlite...opinions?    

NXPowerlite...opinions?

brookee
United States

NXPowerlite...opinions?

Hello to the best teachers to be found online!

I �m looking for opinions...

NXPowerlite has been recommended here on the board as a tool to reduce file sizes.  I checked it out, got my free 10 uses and really liked it.

What �s great about the program is rather than worry about saving and compressing each individual image in a file (throught Paint for example), NXPowerlite reduces the size of all images in a document with just a few clicks.  Wonderful!

My question is this, the price is $45, and I want to know if it �s really worth the cost.  I �d imagine that it pays itself back in the time saved in preparing pieces of work, but I �m looking for some user (or non-user) opinions.

Thanks!  ~~Brooke

17 Mar 2009      

penbwl
Japan

Word gives you the option to compress all the images in a document...

17 Mar 2009     

brookee
United States

Yes, that �s true.  I �ve used that option many times but have still been left with a DOC that �s still over 300KB.

On the other hand, NXPowerlite reduced complete file sizes of by 50-90% or more for me.  For example, I had a printable that was over 2000KB (it had some high quality images in it).  The Word option could not come close to getting that under 300KB.

Thoughts??

~~Brooke

17 Mar 2009     

agkk
Turkey

Hi Brooke,

I use this program, too. Yes, it �s really great. But, I don �t know how to use word for this purpose as penbwl mentioned above.

While I was using my 10 free use, some people gave some links about NXPowerlite. Then I downloaded it for free with no limit from one of those links. The links are below but I don �t remember now from which one I �ve downloaded but try both of them.

http://edusoft.synthasite.com/

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/my_documents/my_files/63D_NXPowerLite.v3.5.Multilingual.rar

17 Mar 2009     

wolfy
Chile

NO, I wouldn �t pay for something that word can do for free:

Right click on any image in word:
On the image tab click compress:
Select "all the images in this document" and "for web or screen"
Done.

17 Mar 2009     

REQUIEMFORADREAM
Portugal

unfortunately word  can not  do what powerlite does...

17 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I think Powerlite is great. But I also learned one thing more.
The longer I worked on a WS the heavier it became.
When I am finished - I copy and paste the whole thing into a brand new
Word, compress the pictures and often it is much lighter!!
IF that isn �t enough, then I use Powerlite.
L

17 Mar 2009     

brookee
United States

@ REQUIEMFORADREAM     That was my exact thought too.

@ wolfy  Wolfy, I know your the tech genius on the site, but I �ve never been truly successful using the Word options when my file is super big.

agkk  Thanks!  I will try those links.

More thoughts??

17 Mar 2009     

brookee
United States

libertybelle Wow!  Good tips!  How �d you figure that out??  Sometimes I work on a file for hours (as most of us probably do), so I �ll try that next time.

So, the general consensus of NXPowerlite users is that it �s worth the price if one actually buys it??

~~Brooke

17 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

It �s a nice piece of software - very easy to use BUT beware of �flattening � documents. This will convert your document to images (potentially saving a lot of space) but will also make them very difficult to edit (which will be annoying for a lot of users).

It will also have little if any effect on already reduced images.

Unless you want to get into graphic programs because they are more versatile for editing your images, I believe it would be a very simple & effective program to use. I use Photoshop or GIMP myself - I find they �re very powerful for a variety of work & a lot of fun to mess around with.

On the other hand, if you get some of �The Wolf �s � tips for Office you don �t need to shell out any cash!

You �ll find some really good info from him (& a few convoluted comments from me) if you search the discussions forum... sorry, it �s late & I �m going to bed, so I won �t get the links for you tonight!

Cheers,
AB

p.s. this post has a couple of useful links about editing images with Microsoft Office included software:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=2268

a little about why the �cut & paste� mentioned by LibertyBelle works can be found here:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=4383

Oh well, no luck finding the other stuff (yet...)

17 Mar 2009