Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I NEED YOUR OPINION!    

I NEED YOUR OPINION!

Makol
Russian Federation

I NEED YOUR OPINION!

I �M GOING TO MAKE A REPORT FOR TEACHERS � CONFERENCE AND I NEED YOUR OPINION ABOUT YOUNG TEACHERS: WHAT ARE THEIR ADVANTAGES OVER VERY EXPERIENCED TEACHERS.

I KNOW YOU CAN HELP ME.
THANKS A LOT!

OLGA

20 Mar 2009      

eng789
Israel

As one of the "old" teachers,  I think that young teacher sometimes have an advantage because kids feel they can relate to them better.

But, kids are all different.  They tend to take to different people.  I think it has to do a lot with their home life. 

Yesterday a pupil who I barely know because she isn �t in my class came up to me and told me it was her birthday.  When I wished a great day, she asked me why I wasn �t giving her a hug. 

I have tons of pupils that approach me outside of the classroom to ask me questions or announce things ( like a birthday or a new baby in the family)  - they talk to me as if I am their aunt or maybe even granny. 

So it �s hard to say.

20 Mar 2009     

zoretta
Italy

Hi Olga!
Well I �m a 22-years-old teacher...I guess that young teacher might have a closer relationship with students, however older teacher have more experience and I think this is what makes the difference...I �m not saying that younger teachers are better than older ones, or viceversa...I �m just saying that students might be more interested for lessons taught by younger teachers...
By the way, I think it is MORE important to have as much experience as you can, because sometimes I am afraid I am not able to answer to student �s questions...and the answer for this is EXPERIENCE!

Greetings!

Claudia

20 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

I don �t think it has anything to do with age actually. In my humble opinion (and experience), it has a lot to do with a teacher �s attitude, personality and their being able to relate to what kids like or how they think -  but mostly their attitude towards young people...

Just think of the grandma who takes their kids to a fun fair, or asks their grandchildren about a concert they went to, or offers to go shopping with them because she knows what they like - compared with the grandmother who has no clue what their grandchildren like, nor at times do they care...

Which grandma do you think the children would like to visit on the weekends?? 

Or which babysitter do you think the kids will prefer:

The babysitter who is so immersed in her own world, who thinks kids are a bother because they are just "kids" and "she" is an adult - compared with the babysitter who will do crafts with the kids or play football, or dolls, or whatever...

Also experience is an asset BUT so is being able to relate and understand how kids minds work and I don �t think that is an "age" thing...

20 Mar 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Well, one thing the younger ones have over the "old" ones is energy Wink

20 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

I think we forgot to establish the age group of the pupils.  It makes a big difference.

20 Mar 2009     

gilorit
Israel

I agree with Linda - It is all a matter of attitude.
I am not that young (46) but I think that nowadays I am a better teacher (and person) than I was when I started teaching. Experience does make a difference but it depends a lot on the person itself.
I see young teachers today who do not really connect with the job or the students and it is sad. (of ourse I am not making a generalisation).
To be a teacher is a matter of personality, commitment, dedication and not age.(...but thank God there is a retirment age...;-)...)
orit

20 Mar 2009     

liverpuliana
Spain

Well, I think experience does make a difference, especially solving behavioural problems. I �m not that old, 35, but I �ve been teaching now for 13 years because I started when I was 22. I �ve always loved this job. In fact, I always wanted to be a teacher when I was a little girl. I was full of energy when I started and I �m full of energy now, but now I �ve got lots of interesting ideas on how to work different skills, eg: oral skills, oral presentations, how to introduce literature without making my students dying of boredom, ...and as I said before I know how to deal with behavioural problems much better now than when I was 22, especially because students seem to respect you more as you get older and older, even more if you work in the same school every year. I hardly have any behavioural problems now because students know me now and they know what it is accepted and what �s not in my classes.I suppose it also depends on the age of students. I teach students who are between 12-18.
I hope this is useful and good luck with your project.
Inma

20 Mar 2009     

Lou2002
United Kingdom

I also think it depends on the teacher.  Of course teaching techniques have changed dramatically over the last 20 years (remember those huge vocab and grammar lists?  Wow, it was boring!),  but as long as the teacher has been able to adapt to the times and is able to relate to the kids, of course experience can be a great help.   

20 Mar 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I agree wholeheartidly with Zora,

It is not age and experience but attitude that really tells.

I will tell you what my mentor has always told me:  She (58 years old) says the advantage of working with beginning teachers is their energy, enthusiasm and fresh ideas.  She told me she loves mentoring new teachers as they have just finished studying and therefore have upto date pedagogical knowledge of teaching which she can learn off them.

In my experience of working with this wonderful women who I hope to be as good as one day - I learnt how to implement my ideas - I would have a marvelous idea and have no idea how to implement it.  She would question and question me until we had a whole plan of how to implement the idea.  IT was a wonderful learning experience that has left me richer as a teacher.

If you are going to talk about the benefits of younger teachers - please also say how wonderful the older more experienced teachers are - without them young teachers would never become old and wise.

One good point though - if someone is lacking the right attitude then it doesn �t matter how young or experienced - they will still suck as a teacher.

Cheers
Vicki

20 Mar 2009     

AHHA
Belarus

I �m a relatively young teacher (I �m 28), but I �m amazed by the creativity of new teachers that graduated from the University and came to work at school last September. Although our experienced teachers visit courses and seminars from time to time, they still lack fresh ideas and the ability to adopt to the fast-changing life and new-appearing technologies and techniques. Or, maybe, it concerns only the school i work in...

20 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >