Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > My poor Student!!! A Teacher īs Call!!!!    

My poor Student!!! A Teacher īs Call!!!!

Nebal
Lebanon

My poor Student!!! A Teacher īs Call!!!!

Hello guys,
Today was horrible . I entered my 5th graders � classroom happy. But, guess what, one of my student had a big red bruise around his left eye!!!
I was frozen!!! I asked him aside who did that, and he answered his father.
He told me that a teacher sent a note to meet his parents for being undisciplined in the class. So, his father couldn īt stand it, and hit the boy severely. The student even told me that his father was about to keep him outside the house , but his mom begged and cried.
What īs that misery????
I talked with the teacher. She was confused, and told me she won īt send notes anymore. I told her that īs not the solution.

What would u do if u were there?
I feel soooooooooooooo sad.

Hugs and kisses,
Sad teacher Nebal

28 Mar 2009      

source
Turkey

off so bad... I dont know the laws in your country but the first step you can do is talk with the parents or you can wait till your teacher parents meeting... But you must talk I think... very disturbing issue...Im sad too.

28 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

Your school needs to talk to a social worker or someone.  Parents aren īt allowed to hit their kids  that īs physical abuse.   Here it is against the law.  The kid needs help.  And the parent needs counselling.  
I understand that you feel terrible but it isn īt your fault.  (if the father is abusive then he will always find reasons to hit his son.) 
Don īt blame yourself. 
Hang in there. 

28 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

I don īt think you should talk to the parents.  This is beyond a teacher īs reach - someone in authority needs to deal with it.

28 Mar 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

Hi Nebal,
Really, it is a difficult and sad situation

You can be kind with this student
but remeber there are lots of parents who think wrongly
and they can īt deal with these situation rightly

They must know how to deal with their children even they are wrong and disciplined

You can ask a social worker to talk with his parent and I hope his father will be understandable

Anyway,
it is very nice to feel like that

All teachers should be kind with the students and appreciate them

You are a true teacher

Regards,
Noor

28 Mar 2009     

genzianella
Italy

Why don īt you bring the isue up with the school īs principal? He should call he parents and threaten them to call the police if the father does it again!

28 Mar 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Well, guys, I talked with the headminister about it, and he advised me to saty out of it all!!!!!!!!!!

I have to take action unless it īs too late. I didn īt feel he was serious!

28 Mar 2009     

avrupalikoleji
Turkey

Hi Nebal,
It īs really a bad situation for the little boy and the teacher,I have 5 grade students,too,I am a teacher and I don īt understand and can īt stand this kind of rude person,and he is a father????
It is very nice of you to feel like that.Take care..

28 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

Be careful - different countries have different laws for dealing with these situations.  You can get yourself into trouble and make things worse for the boy if you get involved.

28 Mar 2009     

appleaday
Canada

I don īt know if it īll help but quite often I come across kids who are beaten by their parents at my school. Kids at my school come from poor and ignorant families. Of course there are really nice families too but that doesn īt change the general outlook. Usually I try and not tell the parents who I know will beat the kid for sure. Of course there are instances which are way out of your control though. I have this girl in 8th grade and she has a stepfather. Her stepfather constantly beat her and even chased her with a butchers knife around the neighboorhood. She is a very nice girl and doesn īt deserve any of this. I told the teachers about it so they could keep an eye on her. Child services is not much of an option here. Yes, it does exist but in some other school I worked at something similar happened and I ended up being the bad guy who was yelled at by the government officials! Anyway. Back to the story. Since the girls community  is quite traditional and has tight ties I convinced the girl to tell her grandparents. (The girls stepfather is very afraid of his father in law.) The girl told her grandparents and they talked with her stepfather. It helped for a while but a few months later she was chased by her stepfather with a knife in his hand again! This time things were quite serious and her grandparents took action. Since they knew that this had happened before because their grandchild told them about it they took her away from her mother and stepfather. Now the girl is staying with her grandparents.

Maybe my precautions do seem unsatisfactory but in these worst conditions that was all I could do.

In your condition you can try contacting child services and if that doesn īt work let the teachers at your school know what is happening. Try and find teachers who share your concern and sympathy. Talk to relatives who have influence in the family. Also try visiting the family to gain their trust. If you have a school counsellor have the family and the student see him/her at seperate times. The family and child will have to see him/her more than once. Finally if the family is enlightened enough  and of course if they have the money convince them to get therapy.

Let me know what happens.

I will pray for you and your kid.

Filiz

28 Mar 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Hi Nebal.

This is a sad story and I understand your concern and your pain, but I don īt know if you can do anything. It should be the headmaster īs responsibility, but he doesn īt want to be involved, it seems, which is awful. You could try to get a social worker involved , but in my opinion the kid īs parents mustn īt know that you are behind this. You could get into trouble, especially if the headmaster is against any kind of involvement. Here in Israel, everybody is the school would be supporting you, and the school counsellor would not waste any time to deal with this serious problem. A child is a treasure that has to be protected and cherished.  Tell us a little bit about your country. I know that you haven īt been too spoilt there for many years and that it īs quite tough over there. I īm really interested to hear more about it, if possible, good stuff!

Take care,

Aimee

28 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >