Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar Problem    

Grammar Problem

malouk
United States

Well, Krisztina I can �t understand your key. I even looked it up in several of my grammar books. It seems to me in that particular sentence they shouls be interchangable.  I wish I could help you more.

6 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

Okay, I am not sure about if it �s direct or indirect speech now after reading all the answers BUT:

For example:

A sentence that is in Past Simple in the Direct Speech can be either Past Perfect or just Past Simple... SO if you change it back from indirect to direct... Past Perfect, would be Past Simple...

So it is correct...

She explained that she had been to the hairdresser � changed to - "I went to the hairdresser �s", she explained.

It follows that rule... you are perhaps confused because you are thinking "Present Perfect" goes to Past Perfect... (which would be correct also... since there isn �t a time frame mentioned in the sentence to indicate anything otherwise)

Smile

6 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

In local usage both are acceptable however in my opinion the grammatically correct form is went / gone.

Direct speech: "I went to my grandparents�", she said

becomes

Reported speech: She said that she had gone to her grandparents �

A quick google shows different schools of thought in regards to practice (but alas no theory) however most examples favour the went / gone form

6 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Still not fully convinced on this.  Don �t you know that Americans and Brits are divided by a common language!!!!  I still think �gone � is an American usage and so maybe one day this rule will drift across the pond and even the Brits may use gone in the future.  But never �gotten � - but that �s another argument.

6 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Yes Logos I agree - we use BE and the norm is went / had been, however, this is perhaps not grammatically correct.  At the end of the day it doesn �t matter what is grammatically correct, (unless sitting an IELTS exam) because it �s what �s used locally that matters.  Our students want to be understood locally.  However, if they are preparing for an important uni-entry test then I guess we need to know what is grammatically correct but I am unable to find anything regarding this.

6 Apr 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Hi,
I side with Douglas in saying that both sentences are correct and there �s no need to change the verb while moving from direct to indirect speech.
We �re the winners
Fight hard Douglas
Cheers

6 Apr 2009     

mendiv
United States

I have to go with Douglas on this, too.  They are both correct, but if you have to choose only one, choose the one that more closely matches the original.  I teach test taking skills sometimes, and choosing the answer that most closely matches the original is a common strategy.
Yee-haw from the Americans!
Mendi

6 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

The battle is not over yet.  Need more opinions.  I think the Brits are coming out on top so far as more agree with me than Douglas.  Douglas �s second opinion doesn �t count because he cannot agree with himself.  It �s make your mind up time.  To Been or not to Been, that is the question????

6 Apr 2009     

Apryll12
Hungary

I think I �ve found the solution after reading all of your ideas and comments on this matter.

Let �s say it �s a short conversation, like this: 

A  What did you do yesterday?
B  I went to my grandparents �.

B �s sentence in indirect speech is:  B said he had been to his grandparents �.   (it can �t be had gone as it was yesterday, so he has obviously returned!)

However, in this conversation the situation is different:

A  Where have you been? I �ve been waiting for you for half an hour!
B  I �m sorry. I �ve been to my grandparents �

B �s sentence in indirect speech is : B said he had been to his grandparents �.

So went and have been are had been in these situations.

I have only one further question: when would went change to had gone then?

I �m sure the Americans will say it can change to had gone in all situations. But I �d like to know what the British say then.

6 Apr 2009     

zdeena
Denmark

I �m with the Americans! If the original sentence is "she went", past of "go", the indirect speech should be "she �d gone", past participle of "go". 
"been" could never be considered past participle of "go" in my world...

Direct speech:  "She went to her grandmother �s"
Indirect speech: "She said she had gone to her grandmother �s"

Direct speech:  "She was at her grandmother �s"
Indirect speech: "She said she had been at her grandmother �s"

6 Apr 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >