Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar Problem    

Grammar Problem

arkel
Ireland

Went would be gone if the direct speech was: �Sorry, he can �t see you as he went to Dublin last night � She said he couldn �t see me as he �d GONE to Dublin the night before. (He �s still in Dublin).

6 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Ummm, Logos, I�m not on either side - I�m not American or British.

Actually, this is all quite perplexing - not even Swan addresses this.  My gut feel is that both are still acceptable in local usage but the grammatically correct form, if teaching to a formal test, is went/gone.

6 Apr 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, Kriszti69
Hungary

A  What did you do yesterday?
B  I went to my grandparents �.

B �s sentence in indirect speech is:  B said he had been to his grandparents �.   (it can �t be had gone as it was yesterday, so he has obviously returned!)

I am afraid I can �t agree with you about ""
it can �t be had gone as it was yesterday""

1- When we report what sb said using indirect speech we report mainly the meaning of what he/she said. Yet, we try to use as many of his/her own words as possible.
2- When reporting using direct speech here we must report his/her exact words without any change.
3- When changing a direct quote in indirect speech there is not only the verb tense that is shifted back but the adverbials too. The conversation/quote generally took place at another time and time.

then,

"I went..." becomes "she had gone" and it is correct because "yesterday" is supposed to become "the day before/the previous day" and we can omit it since it can be inferred in the indirect sentence.
However, using "she had been..." is also correct since she is supposed to have come back since the time of the conversation.

Hope it helps

7 Apr 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3