Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > PPT 500kb or less? Upload Unsuccessful!    

PPT 500kb or less? Upload Unsuccessful!

luadosolzinho
Brazil

PPT 500kb or less? Upload Unsuccessful!

Hi, Everybody and Victor,

I have read many messages on the forum about PPTs and uploading problems and size limit as well. But there is one thing not so clear. When we try to upload a PPT we get the message that the limit is 500kb. Ok. I had to make miracles and try to reduce my PPT quality and the size of it of course. It was about 1mb and now it is 500kb. But I can �t upload it at all. I have read some messages here saying that it �ll only be possible it the size is less than 500kb. Is that so? Is it true? So why it says 500kb when we open the upload page? Confused

I have compressed everything I could, and the I could only resize it to 500kb, but the website shows me an error message.

See, I �m not complaining. Don �t get me wrong. I just want understand it, cuz I haven �t uploaded any PPT so far and it �s new for me.

Thanks in advance.

Vanessa

8 Apr 2009      

jovance
Macedonia

I agree with you. That happens to me too. Also when I download other power points , some of them are more than500kb, 600kb or even 700kb and I can �t understand how did they upload them.

8 Apr 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

In order to check the actual size of any document, you need to right click on it and open properties.This shows you the actual size.

8 Apr 2009     

luadosolzinho
Brazil

Dear aftab57, that is what I always do to check the real size of my documents. And in this particular situation, I have done the same. When I open the properties, it says that the PPT �s size is 500kb.

8 Apr 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

I believe that Alien Boy at sometime in the past gave some techno geek information about how file sizes can vary from what is published and what it actually is.

The secret (though it �s not anymore) is to ensure that your presentation is UNDER 500kb and to be really sure it should be below 490.

If you really find difficulty reducing the size  then split it into two and submit two separate contributions.

I have done a tutorial which you can download that shows how you can reduce pictures in PowerPoint from 9mb to 15kb using Microsoft Paint so if you have not tried that then I suggest you have a look.

The other factor is that just lately, PowerPoints seem to be difficult to upload as we have had a number of comments on the forum complaining they could not upload.  You just have to be patient - sometimes it is just the nature of the system, that it works sometimes and others it doesn �t.  Bit tempremental really.

8 Apr 2009     

alien boy
Japan

You can also use a program like NXPowerlite - there are a few comments about it here.

I highly recommend using Logos �s tutorial - it �s very useful. Most of the problems with Powerpoint are to do with the real size of the images, as distinct from the size that is displayed. If you follow the processes in the tutorial you should be able to make your file significantly smaller.

There are other tutorials available too. Just type �tutorial � into the worksheet search box (nearthe top of the home page) & you �ll find some other great ones too - like Ms frenchfrog �s & the delightful HelenMcK �s.

Good luck!
AB

8 Apr 2009     

luadosolzinho
Brazil

Dear Logos, That is what I thought. I � �l take a look at the tutorials Alien Boy has suggested (thanks alien boy). i tried to use to different softwares, however, it didn �t reduce less than 500kb. Maybe the tutorials help me. I �ll try it, because I really don �t want to split my PPT presentation. It doesn �t have so many slides, i don �t think it �s necessary.

Now I know that I �ll have to reduce my file to less than 490kb in order to have it uploaded.

Thank you guys for the tips and explanations!

Thumbs Up

Best Wishes,

Vanessa

8 Apr 2009