Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you say....    

How do you say....

wilwarin32
Argentina

How do you say....

Hi dear all, I need your help with two expressions, I hope Spanish speakers -or anyone can!- can help me out.
How do you say "arenero" in English? In Argentina we call arenero an enclosed area filled with sand where little kids play. You find these in parks and kindergartens.
then I �d like to know how you would translate this phrase: "death row pardon" Would you say "indulto para condenados a muerte"?
Thank you all!!!!!

25 Apr 2009      

Popina
Uruguay

hello! arenero in english is sandbox. Have a nice day!

25 Apr 2009     

Little Miss Lady
Spain

Im also familiar with the word �sandpit �, and thats the one I use too :)

25 Apr 2009     

wilwarin32
Argentina

Thank you!!!

25 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

Yes - to the second question wilwarin Smile... "un indulto" is a pardon in legal terms... 

25 Apr 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

I would say sandbox.

25 Apr 2009     

Zora
Canada

Sandbox for me too... sandpit just sounds like it should be a huge thing where cement companies come to get sand - like a gravel pit!

25 Apr 2009     

valeska
Chile

SANDBOX

25 Apr 2009     

freddie
Canada

Definitely sand box. I �ve never heard of a sandpit dear ladybird. 

25 Apr 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Wow - how very interesting.

Austalian English - sandpit (same as Standard British English).

In fact, I checked the Australian National Dictionary (MacQuarie) and it defines the following as:

sandpit: a container for holding sand for children to play in

sandbox: a box or receptacle for holding sand, especially for dropping from a locomotive or a tram on to slippery rails. (!)

Here sand pit can be spelt as one or two words.

25 Apr 2009     

douglas
United States

As a child growing up in California I probably would not have known what a "sandpit" was, but the "sandbox" is where we played.  The big ones in the park we just called the "playground" (that happened to be in sand).

I also agree with Linda, "sandpit sounds like a rock or sand quarry or something like that.  Perhaps sandpit is more Oxford and sandbox US

25 Apr 2009     

1    2    Next >