Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > BURQQAS    

BURQQAS

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

BURQQAS

Hi, my fellow, AMNA
I am an English teacher and I work in Portugal. First I thought to write you in private, then I decided to post my comment in the forum. For me, this is a very serious problem
I wouldn�t like  to arise a lot of comments in the forum, but, even so,just to say that your worksheet about burqqas didn�t fit me, anyway; sorry, i don�t want to be rude to you, just talking about different social environments... I don�t know where you are from, I can�t recognize your flag, ( my fault, I have never been good with flags ), but in my country, Portugal, we do suffer a lot, because so many women have to use a burqqa, they can�t get out or stay among male friends without hiding their faces. This is rather difficult for us to understand, may be you have very important and reasonable reasons for that, but, for us, in the western countries, where a woman always fights for their rights, this is something which we can�t understand...
So, I didn�t like your worksheet, because I try my best to fight against violations, and the compulsory use of a burqqa is something I consider a woman�s right violation.
May be some of you use them in your country, may be you are talking about others� country traditions, never mind, for me, this is the kind of subject, should never be handled with the word " funny"
Sorry, forgive me, i didn�t mean to be rude, just call everyone�s attention, �cause so many women have their basic rights cut, and we can�t make a joke of that.
hugs,
from me to you

13 Oct 2008      

neuspuigs
Spain

Please...place your mouse on the flag and you will see the country...if you son�t mind (as you say)

13 Oct 2008     

Azza_20
United Arab Emirates

am sorry but i need to copy - paste my message and post it here in case people are wondering what we are talking about!

http://www.eslprintables.com/powerpoint.asp?id=3822#thetop

Amna, thank you for clarifying this to Olindalima!
i was going to comment on her post, although this is not my contribution but i come from this culture and i feel that its my right to pin point and clarify this issue to those who find our practices weird and take away women rights.

Olinda, am sorry but you went too far with ur interpretation of the use of burqas by women and u�re just assuming things! women in the muslim world and in particular the United Arab Emirates have the RIGHT to wear whatever they want including burqa�s because this �accessory� is part of the culture here. If you ever visit the UAE you will find people wearing revealing clothes as much as people who cover up. Besides, the power point is a �funny urban tale� which has been retold for generations that�s why the author referred to it as a �funny story� and i think this contribution was intended for open minded people who are interested in learning about other cultures. So I suggest that you educate yourself and read more about this if you really want to know the facts.
I am so shocked about how shallow some people can be!! Guys we are teachers and sometimes we have to deal with subjects and issues that we don�t feel very comfortable with or feel strongly about! I am not a Christian but when I was training in some catholic school I abided by the school rules and didn�t discuss religion!! actually I attended bible classes with students and respected their culture and when I see contributions about Christmas, Easter and Hanukkah that I really realllyyyyyyyy like I post a nice comment although I wouldn�t necessary use the worksheet!!

and just in case people are wondering, i dont wear it neither my mom or any of my female friends but a lot of grandmothers do wear it!

13 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Thank you for this contribution.  It is an interesting story that suggests the original burqa was empowering for women!!!  Not a sign of enslavement or anything else. 

I believe there is a lot of mis-information and misunderstanding in the western world (or maybe I should say christian based countries) about the use of the burqa.  I for one know very little on this subject, and was actually under the same impression as olindamlima that it was a sign of oppression by males (obviously I am wrong!  Maybe sometimes it is a legal requirement - but obviously not in every country!)

I really appeciate the chance to be part of this forum and learn about peoples cultures - from them - not from television interpretations!  Thank you for informing us all on this topic which can become very controversial at times.  I look forward to further contributions about this rich and interesting culture. 

Regards
VickiThumbs Up

13 Oct 2008     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Dea Azza!

I have the same point of view about the respect of different religions and traditions,Azza! You are right,it doesn�t matter what religion we are ....

Each country has its own history, culture and national conditions,religious belief, has its own characteristics and beauty.

We ALL should respect  people of all ethnic groups, including those who believe in a religion and those who do not.

Therefore the people who believe in a religion and those who do not can unite and cooperate politically, and respect each other�s beliefs.

It is essential to have this knowledge and understanding, as there are so many religious faiths and cultural traditions that form part of the society we live in today.

It is important to appreciate that we are all different!!!
And it�s so interesting to learn about other cultures!

In many situations, some people are in a minority, often because of their ethnicand family background. We should not treat people in a prejudicial manner just because they are different. When we come into contact with other people of a different race, religion or culture,we must respect each individual ontheir own merits.

I feel so thankful to this amazing site which gives us ALL the chance to"meet" each other and to make friends.

hugs,Victoria  

13 Oct 2008     

Amna 107
United Arab Emirates

Thank you Azza for your clarification Thumbs Up
You are absolutely right Clap

In fact, all of us have questions about other people�s cultures and beliefs. It will be nice to ask for information without insulting each other.

We shouldn�t criticize each other just because we are different!

Best regards
Amna ^_*

13 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, All
I have just a little insertion.
If I have to choose between using a ws dealing with male/female genital parts of the body or F*** word AND a ws dealing with other people�s wears and traditions even if they don�t suit my believes or convictions I will CERTAINLY choose the latter.

Regards all and good night.

13 Oct 2008     

manonski (f)
Canada

We all come from different background and cultures. I can see everybody�s point of view. In the end, we know what is best for our students according to the rules of the school we work in, the level of our students and the culture we live in.
Everyday I see worksheets that I know would be inappropriate for my classes for different reasons. I take what I need and there are some sheets I choose to not download even if I can appreciate the time and effort a member has put in making a worksheet.
This is what makes this website rich.
Let�s not turn it in a clash of cultures.

13 Oct 2008     

Mietz
Germany

My first thought was, that olindalima is quite right in pointing out, that there are serious implications with putting "burqqas" and "funny" in one context. I don�t remember any news here about women in Afghanistan wearing burqqas voluntarily (first thing that came to mind). There may well be, but I don�t know enough about it. I�ve only registered the opposite and I�m against that. That�s shallow. I know the world is bigger. I know very little about it. I think - if I understood olindalima right - that was the point of publishing the discussion on the forum. I�m glad she did. It makes me think and I�m torn as usual.

Olindalima said, that she is against the compulsory use of a burqqa. Where does "compulsory" begin and end in our different cultures, though?

I�m from a western culture, too. On the first sight we seem to fight for women�s rights here. But at times I wonder if we really have such a choice about the clothes we wear here. I don�t like wearing  make-up or nail polish, never mind ridiculously high-heel shoes.  Still - if I don�t adjust to a certain dresscode with most of my customers, I wouldn�t be able to keep them. I don�t really have a choice. My bills need paying, there are many English teachers and the unemployment rate is high enough already. It doesn�t matter what shoes or clothes I�d prefer wearing and what my rights on that might be. (I�m not complaining here. It�s life. I�m just trying to give an example.)

I�d really be interested in your different opinions. I don�t have an answer on this one.  

Regards
Mietz

14 Oct 2008     

Azza_20
United Arab Emirates

Vickii, Victoria, Amna, goodnesses, manonski, Mietz

Thanks everyone for sharing ur thoughts. Regardless of our differences, I think its all about respecting different cultures and building on our differences and appreciate the fact that we are different as Victoria declared.

And if anyone has any concern, doubt, question there is no harm in asking and we are here to learn from and about each other not just the �English Language� but beyond that.

Regards

Azza

14 Oct 2008     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello, Azza, and all the others who came to this discussion (?)

Sorry, but the more you write, the further I am from you.
Azza you posted
 " If you ever visit the UAE you will find people wearing revealing clothes as much as people who cover up.", .... this is right, I copied and pasted...ok ?

And Amna wrote

"Well, I wonder why don t you raise the "woman s right issue when women wear unprudish clothes and go out with men, but when a woman decides to wear prudish clothes and cover her face, then you talk about women s right!! ( in the worksheet comments )

So, some now and then you assume you wear "unprudish" clothes, as Azza posted, some now and then you consider that wrong, as Amna says.

If you read my comment, without paying any attention to politics, religion, or whatever it may be, just think BY YOUR HEADS,
the only thing I POINTED was the unhappily use of the word "FUNNY"
IT�S NOT FUNNY TO HAVE A HUMAN BEING FORCED TO DO WHAT HE DOESN�T WANT.
MAy be you never heard, but i know, women with her female genital parts of the body CUT OFF, this is something deeply imoral, in MY HEAD, not in my religion, not in my politics, in the head I have, I received when I was born, to use, and make GOOD use of it.
You can�t imagine how deeply sad I am, cause YOU didn�t understand a word of what I said,
I SAID; AND I REPEAT; HUMAN BEINGS SHOULD BE FREE:
That�s the point, when a woman wears a burqaa because she is forced to, that�s a violation. I can wear a burqa if I think it goes well with my other clothes, as well I wear earrings, necklaces, miniskirts, shorts, bikinis. I AM ALWAYS THE SAME WOMAN, EVERYONE RESPECTS ME , BECAUSE OF WHAT I AM, NOT BECAUSE OF MY CLOTHES, AND I WEAR THE CLOTHES I DECIDE TO WEAR, NOT THE ONES MY RELIGION, MY HUSBAND, MY BROTHER OBLIGES ME TO, OR WORSE...
I DON�T USE THE CLOTHES THAT TRADITIONALLY ARE ACCEPTED.
I AM WHAT I AM....
I RESPECT YOU ALL, I AM SORRY YOU DON�T UNDERSTAND ME, NOT BECAUSE I AM RIGHT, BUT BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU ARE SO RIGHT THAT YOU SAY, YOU WRITE
"
Olinda, am sorry but you went too far with ur interpretation of the use of burqas by women and u�re just assuming things!
I didn�t go far, I didn�t make any interpretations - they are all in your heads, I just felt sorry for the situation.
I don�t care about worksheets with male or female genitals - I HAVE THEM IN MY FAMILY _ we are all men and women, we are not angels with no sex, sex is so important for me as eating and drinking and walking around and breathing...
I AM SO , BUT SO SAD WITH THIS, that probably after this post, or comment, I just don�t know, I will be banished away, if so, long live you all, I will be happy as ever, because I speak, freely, and no one will ever, ever stop me from speaking freely.
Accept, please, my apologies, I don�t want to hurt any of you, and do believe me, I certainly am a woman who accepts every difference, wherever it comes from - skin colour, religion, physical or mental handicapped, anything, I have lived long enough to appreciate and forgive everything, EXCEPT LACK OF FREEDOM.
Hugs to all of you
I do respect all of you, and you certainly are a kind of family for me, and believe, I only get angry with friends, the others I let them go by.
Ying Yang

14 Oct 2008     

1    2    Next >