Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WHAT DOES YOUR NAME MEAN?    

WHAT DOES YOUR NAME MEAN?

aftab57
United Kingdom

Thank you for this interesting topic Svetlana. it is interesting to see that quite a few names mean light. My name Aftab is of persian origin and means light or sun.

2 May 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Oh well, this is so interesting. My name is very popular amongst the Christian world and one of the most common ones . At different times I have read thatit  comes from Hebrew, Greek and Latin, with a variety of meanings, the most common one being "bitter".
Thanks for such an interesting post Svetlana which would be Fotini in Greek

2 May 2009     

giovannademartin
Brazil

Hi dear!
The meaning of the name Giovanna is "God Is Gracious".  The origin of the name is Italian. The Portuguese/Brazilian name would be "Joana" which is the feminine form of "Jo�o" (John).

"It is the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered saints. The first was John the Baptist, a Jewish ascetic who was considered the forerunner of Jesus Christ. The second was the apostle John, who was also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation."

OH MY! I didn �t know!!!!

My family and friends call me "J�".

Thanks and kisses from Brazil!

2 May 2009     

svetamarik Svetlana
Russian Federation

WOW! It �s sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo interesting! Thank you, my friends!

MORE AND MORE AMD MORE ......

2 May 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

More information about your name "Svetlana":

You entered: Svetlana

There are 8 letters in your name.
Those 8 letters total to 22
There are 3 vowels and 5 consonants in your name.

What your first name means:

Russian Female Luminescent.

Your number is: 22

The characteristics of #22 are: The Master Builder, large endeavors, powerful force, a leader.

The expression or destiny for #22:
Your Expression is represented by the master number, 22. The key word for the number 22 is that of master builder. This is a very hard number to fully live up to because it is capable of such great accomplishment. You no doubt will be extremely capable at whatever work you choose to do in life. You are especially equipped to handle large scale undertakings in the material world. Thus, the reference to master builder. The 22 possesses unique qualities and often very unorthodox approaches to problem solving. You are apt to be a very strong leader, and one who is not afraid to lead in new directions. Your perceptions are well beyond the norm.

When the 22 Expression operates within you in a positive vein, you are endowed with the most practical approach, but this practical or material sense is tempered with an awareness of non-material forces. You are very much the idealist, which the material skills to build and develop for the good of mankind. In a positive 22, the inner strength is clearly visible, and if developed, this strength will possess the charisma to attract a following.

If expressed in a negative manner, the 22 may accentuate unorthodox methods to the point of eccentricity. This negative expression can also be very dominating and overbearing.

Your Soul Urge number is: 7

A Soul Urge number of 7 means:
With a number 7 Soul Urge you are very fond of reading, and retreating to periods of being alone and away from the disruptions of the outer world. You like to dream and develop you idealistic understandings, to study and analyze, to gain knowledge and wisdom. You may be too laid back and withdrawn to really succeed in the business world, and you will be much more comfortable in circumstances that are tolerant of your reserve, your analytical approach, and your desire to use your mind rather than your physical being.

You are very timid around people that you don �t know very well, so much so at times that casual conversation and social situations can be strained. You tend to repress your emotions to the extend that some people have a good bit of difficult understanding you. You tend to be very selective with friends and you don �t easily adapt to new environments or to new people very quickly.

The negative traits of the 7 include becoming too much the introvert and isolated from others.

Your Inner Dream number is: 6

An Inner Dream number of 6 means:
You dream of guiding and fostering the perfect family in the perfect home. You crave the devotion from offspring and a loving spouse. You picture yourself in the center of a successful domestic unit.

Hugs,

nebal

2 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

My name, Manon, is a diminutive of Marie or Marianne. My parents gave me that name because of a popular French song in Quebec in the 1960s. (yes, I �m that old).
I read that the name has now become popular again in France lately.

The song was "Manon viens danser le ska" (Manon, come and dance ska)

2 May 2009     

svetamarik Svetlana
Russian Federation

Oh Nebal! Thanks for your interesting characteristic! But where did you get it? If it is not a secret, could you name the source please? I would be really greatful as I like such kind of information.

2 May 2009     

missola
Palestine

this is a very interesting topic.
My name is Ola. it is an arabic name (it is also pronounced differently) and it means highness in rank or position.
Svetlana your name would be Noor in arabic which is a very lovely and popular name in my country.

2 May 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

Interesting topic for a Saturday morning! And I like Ivona �s idea of using it as an icebreaker.  It would be good for a parent �s meeting as well - to ask them the meaning of their kid �s names.  Once we talked about the reason why they had choosen their child �s name and we had a real good time before going on with the meeting.
My name, Anna, is very common worldwide. I just found out that on the Indian subcontinent it is considered masculine and that Anna was the 4th most popular name in Austria in 2006.
Anna means grace, favour but, not to be left out of the �light � that is the meaning of so many names, my second name is Lucia (light).

2 May 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi everyone,
For more detailed information about your names , charaters, number, dreams....

Hugs,
nebal ( arrows that hit the target and never miss it)

2 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >