Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Correcting Errors ..     

Correcting Errors ..

Dalya
Kuwait

Correcting Errors ..

Hello teachers,

I have a question ..

for countries like Kuwait where English is taught as a Foriegn language, student are not that confident about speaking in class

there �s also another challenge that is dealing with non-motivated students

students in my country DON �t WANT to study the language ..

this is somehow because of parents or the environment they came from where studying english in not considered important

I �m still in Education college as i mentioned earlier ..

we are studying about correcting students � errors or mistakes ..

if we are dealing with non-motivated students that are also not confident, then correcting errors or mistakes is something you need to be very wary of

how are we going to correct their errors if we don �t want to make them feel attacked ??

there are two ways to correct their errors

one of them is to correct the errors at the time they happen

the other one is to correct the errors at a later time to avoid the problem i spoke about (lack of self confidence)

but correcting errors will make the students affraid of using the language !!

how can you avoid that ?

8 May 2009      

Sylwia G
Poland

maybe don �t correct mistakes as long as they convey a message successfully. once they become more motivated and confident you can try correcting mistakes more often

8 May 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

If it is a big mistake , we can correct it but then ask her him  a simple question to answer it after that encourage her him

I usually encourage my weak sts by nice expression even they answer very simple answer but when engourage her for example by saying GREAT   WoW   you r very good , She feels happy and smiles and she will try again and again. Also , using gifts  is important  for them.

But , may be these strategies are not useful and weak sts still timid and unsure.
In this problem, I just talk tto her lonely and encourage her . I listen to her to her problem with english and try to help her..

I hope this help

8 May 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

In that case or with adult students, I  take note of the mistakes while they speak and once they have finished, I make them find the mistake. Of course, I also write down vocabulary they use and I want to make clear  or to make them produce antonyms/synonyms afterward.

They should understand that we learn by making mistakes.  Mistakes are part of  any learning process.
If they were not expected to make mistakes, they would not need to learn.

As regards motivation, perhaps they need to come across something they really like and would enjoy more if they knew the language.
Finding they are able to communicate with other people outside the class builds up their self-confidence.

Hope it can be of some help

8 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

sylwia

you mean focusing on fluency in the beginning of the year

then focusing on accuracy ..

hmm that might help ..

-------------------

Hi miss Noor ..

umm , ok but are you with or against correcting errors on the spot ?

---------------------

Tere-arg

I think you �re right they have to enjoy or like smething to be able to learn it

I think the main problem is in the definition of  an error or a mistake

most of the people , in Kuwait,  believe that errors shows anything else but progress

while, as you mentioned, we should change that idea and re-define errors

thank you teachers for your help

waiting for the others :)

8 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I think you can correct informally by just rephrasing what the student said.

If a student comes to me and says "I have 12 years old". I might give him or her my age in  a correct sentence or repeat in the form of a question. "You are 12 years old? And when is your birthday?"

There are ways to do it without attacking the students. Also, they have to know they are allowed to make mistakes as long as they have tried.

8 May 2009     

miyoko71
Morocco

I think,we(teachers ) are there to correct students mistakes.So first of all we have to encourage our students to speak English, even though they make mistakes,because this is the best way  to learn.
For example , when I want to introduce a new vocabulary, I try first of all to see if my pupils can guess it, they always give me its equivalent in French but with an English accent.Of course we laugh, but I don �t feel mad  at them.I give them the correct word,and they learn it.
If you don �t encourage them , they �ll feel shy to express themselves, especially if English is a foreign language , which is not  practiced outside the classroom , as is the case in Morocco  and many other Arab countries.

8 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

You may find this earlier discussion interesting too:

On correction: how much do you correct your students?

There �s another good discussion with some great links too, but unfortunately I can �t locate it right now. I �ll add the link when I do find it.

Cheers,
AB

8 May 2009     

kmtr
United States

Hi. I teach English to immigrants to the US, and many of my students are VERY self conscience about making errors and appearing ignorant to their US-born classmates. So I understand! I always have the door closed while class is underway and let them know that our classroom is for practicing and learning and that making errors is part of learning a new language. I also focus on fluency first and then accuracy. I make corrections with them if it seriously affects understanding. If it doesn �t affect understanding, then I usually leave it. If it is something with intermediate students that keeps repeating (not just a one time slip up) then I might make note of it and have a class lesson the next day. I have a lot of reluctant readers-their literacy is not great in their home language. I try to have them read in small chunks and read things that are sort of interesting-real life stories, gross things (middle/high school boys love gross/nasty things!) ghost stories and such. When we have to read things they don �t like because of the curriculum, I just try to connect it to things they are going through. Good Luck!

8 May 2009     

butterflybarby
Argentina

first of all, hello!!!!!! I �m Barbara from Argentina, where English is a foreing language too. if the students are in an elementary level, when they make an oral mistake, you can refrase the mistake ans you encourage them. for example, the stdent says, �she go to the disco � you can say: �very good; she goes to the disco is the correct answer to the question i did � or something of the sort. if the students are in an intermediate or upper intermediate level you can say something like, �sorry? what did you say? i couldn �t hear well �.

i hope you understand my explanation and find them useful.
kisses, barbara

8 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I think it is a mistake to allow them to keep making the same mistakes over and over. We are creatures of habit and what becomes repetitive turns into habit.  Hong Kong kids are very reluctant to answer a question unless they have very high skills.  I have different strategies for correcting.  Sometimes I repeat the mistake back to them and ask them if it sounds right.  At other times, I ask the class if the response is corrrect.  If it is a really funny mistake we all have a good laugh including the one who made it. This can lead to some good times in class.  Another good strategy is to keep repeating the mistake back to them until they realise they made it. This works well for older Ss.  Another thing you can do is write the complete answer on the board including the mistake and analyse it. I often do this coupled with the grammatical rule to correct it. 

8 May 2009     

1    2    Next >