Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Discipline problerms in the classroom    

Discipline problerms in the classroom

maggiejeria
Chile

Discipline problerms in the classroom

I �m sad and complicated , because I have problems with miy students from 8th grade.
They are�nt agree with me. They have very bad discipline in my class. They throug paper between them. they speak all the time. I can make classes. All these attitude put me very bad and confused. And I Told them things that ar�nt very good for them. Now I am at home with a depression, but I must  return to school at the end of this montyh.
I would like to know What to do in order to have a good relations with them.

13 May 2009      

sazzag
United Kingdom

How old are 8th grade kids?  Sorry for not knowing.

13 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

They are about 13 - 14 sazzag.

13 May 2009     

maggiejeria
Chile

Between 12 and 14 years old

13 May 2009     

sazzag
United Kingdom

What I have done in the past is keep a point system and students gain and lose points depending on behaviour, giving good answers, doing homework etc.  If you have lots of students you put them in teams so that they have the responsibility to their team.  The team with most points at the end of term or end of the month or even end of the week gets a prize. 

Now what I do is that if they all do their homework and work well we play the games they like for the last 10-15 minutes of class.  I use the fun games using English --- there are hundreds here on this site if you need inspiration.  They love to play and we end the class on a high note. IF they have done what they need to do first.

Anything which involves points and competition gets my Spanish students really motivated.  They love winning and will go to great efforts to do so.

To make doing the unit check exercises at the end of the chapters of our book I have made some Formula 1 race cars which I stick on a circuit which I draw on the board.  If the student gets the answer right he/she throws a dice and I move his/her car forward that many spaces.  They love it and now look forward to doing the exercises.

What ever you do.  Try to relax.  Remember they are just kids.  Try to engage them and distract them from their silly behaviour and chatter. 

Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

13 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Do all adults interacting with this group have the same problems? I know that when I have problems with a group, I sit with the other teachers and if need be, we all work together to try to come up ways to work with those students.
In my school, there is an educator I can go to. She can come and observe and then we make a plan of action.

13 May 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

Hello!
Unfortunately I have also some classes where students missbehave... Unhappy

Try these links, maybe they come up with some good ideas for you to manage your classroom:

I hope some of these ideas can help you. I wish you recover from the depression soon...

Hug
Kita

13 May 2009     

maggiejeria
Chile

Thanks a lot for your comments. I �ll try to look for some games...

13 May 2009     

maggiejeria
Chile

If you have some special games to suggest me I�ll be very thankful.

13 May 2009     

hekateros
Portugal

Dear maggiejeria,

I understand you so well!
The first time I taught young teenagers I was shocked at their behaviour in class and lack of respect for the teacher! The thought of quitting crossed my mind several times.
Soon I started talking with other colleagues who were more experienced and then I realized indiscipline was a general problem and not just happening in my class. Together, all teachers of each class,  try to find strategies to diminish behaviour problems in the classroom. Some actions work, but others don �t.
Talk to your colleagues, it does help. Even if it does not solve the situation, it will help you realize you are not alone. These days I still try not to be affected by what goes on in the classroom and try to work hard to gain and maintain children �s respect. Sometimes I feel I lose it, other times I feel I gain it. :) These times are worth all the worries I go through ;)

Good luck!

13 May 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Agree with the talking with the co-teachers to see what they do as well as a reward punishment system.  If anyone recommends the "Love and Logic" technique ignore it, it rarely works. 

Some punishment techniques:  (Just a few techniques.)
Set up with a teacher the students are afraid of a visit with him/her.
Standing with hands over their head.
Long writing worksheet on what they did wrong.
Lost of privilages, like the game thing... "Because you misbehave you can only watch today.  Here write an apology to the class..."
Notes to parents.

13 May 2009     

1    2    Next >