Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > PREMIUN MEMBERS with just 30 points and don īt work anymore while others do ? THIS IS NOT FAIR    

PREMIUN MEMBERS with just 30 points and don īt work anymore while others do ? THIS IS NOT FAIR

maker1
Turkey

I wasn īt supporting the idea of increasing the number of points required to become a premium member with my message. All I was saying that it wasn īt the only reason why some members contribute as Swetlana said. I am sorry if I have been misunderstood.

14 May 2009     

maker1
Turkey

I will conclude my participation in this forum with another saying wish everybody sweet dreams:

I will smile at friend and foe alike and make every effort to find, in him or her,  a quality to praise, now I realise that the deepest yearning of human nature

is the craving to be appreciated. � Og Mandino

14 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi Curk! Hi to you all!

I understand what you mean curk, but to be honest I really like the rules the way they are, because I believe nothing would change for the better if we had to get one thousand points to become a premium member. Somehow, that sounds too elitist for me. I find it very important that newcomers have the possibility to download worksheets as soon as they can because  they can learn a lot from other memebrs � work. For me, one of the most wonderful things is to be able to follow a new member from the very beginning and see how his/her work improves.

As for the non-active members of the site (we do not know they exist), I never think of them at all. Maybe they are just "takers", but when I upload a worksheet it īs because I want to share it, which in this site means with anyone that has more than  30 points. So I don īt think of it in terms of fairness or unfairness. That īs the way it is.

We also have some precious members that may not upload many worksheets but that are still very active members of this site and we are all very grateful for all the help they give us. I know the names of many but I don īt want to take the risk of forgetting some. Their knowledge, their experience, their  wisdom...  are worth more than a thousand  worksheets.

Wish you all a good night.
Today I īm dead tired.

Hugs,
mena

15 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Dear curk, thank you for sharing your opinion. It is always good to bounce ideas around!

If weīre going to look at īquantity� of input how do we quantify the amount of sharing that happens in the forum, personal messaging and email?

I will echo other members comments by saying that each memberīs situation is different. You will note I have few uploads.

There are 2 main reasons:
- most of my work from the last year is bilingual in format (Japanese & English) so it is not appropriate to upload here.
- the subject of most of my work has been covered very effectively by literally hundreds (or even thousands) of other members� contributions. I donīt want to judge other contributions by apparent usefulness, but I can judge my own! Why should I contribute just another average piece of work to this community when I know there are many wonderful & generally more visually appealing downloads available.

As I have slightly more unusual uploads available, Iīll add them. This site has never been about īgetting points�, becoming a īpremium user� or a power using īmoderator� to me. The point of this site is to share with a community of other teaching professionals who come from everywhere & every culture. The community itself is a larger resource for me than the worksheets. I donīt remember the last time I used my 30 free downloads up. Was it 2 months ago? I really don īt know.

To me those points are īimpulse points� - I īll look out of curiosity & download something if I think it has potential for me to use. Iīve NEVER used anything Iīve downloaded īas is�, many worksheets have small errors and are not necessarily formatted appropriately for my students use - too many pictures, too much colour, too much cluttering a page or pages, just to give some brief examples. If something has been recommended to me, if there īs been a request (by personal message) to review something or provide technical advice, or an interesting discussion in the forum that someone has created an upload for then guess what, I may also download the item in question!

It is very important to share ideas, opinions & suggestions about improving the site for everybody - but it isnīt a competition. Victor started this site for sharing purposes, not to encourage the ego centrism of the membership.

If we start to judge participation in the site, how do we decide the criteria, who judges the quality & who gets to decide? This is a different situation  to the moderating that occurs. īModerators� donīt (or shouldnīt) judge the intrinsic value or worth of a reported item. They should be judging whether an item is a valid upload according to the guidelines provided. Value judgements have no place in that voting.

Otherwise whatīs the next target - those members who upload 1 or 2 pages separately (even if theyīre noted as īpart 1� or īpart 2�) when itīs very easy for those items to be combined? After all, Iīve made a couple of 8+ page items which include colourful graphics, why can īt everyone else? That would streamline things even further for downloading & ensure that the īpoint scrooges � would have to be more fair in the way they share & contribute to the community?
(Iīm just using this as an exaggerated example, so please, donīt take this as my serious belief - Iīm not here to judge the value of a contribution for everyone, I judge for myself simply by downloading an item...)

Enough of my ranting - time for breakfast & then off to school to teach music for the day!
Have fun everyone!

15 May 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

I do ffeel guilty at times for downloading some activities everyday and not uploading...but here īs my excuse :)

I am a literature teacher in upper  classes, my activities and tests arent colorful or funny or visually attractive, therefore not mny pp want them, which is only logical.

So, whenever I create a new WS i upload it, but not many pp find it useful.

Well. I dont know if this is of any interest to anyone, but I did feel guilty when I read the post

Kisses, missveronica

19 May 2009     

juliamontenegro
Brazil

Hum...
In my understanding, the rules of the website is that premium users can dowmload up to 30 activities released on that day, but still have to use points to download activities posted before that day.
Many times what is posted one day has nothing to do with the topics I have to teach and I don īt even use all 30 points that day, but still must have some saved points to download the activities that are really interesting for my following classes...
I got to be a premium user and still after that have posted some activities and some of them were not downloaded or were downloaded only once, but that doesn īt mean I didn īt take time to make something you guys would want to download, but that what was necessary for me in my classes was not necessary for any of you at that moment.
I think the rules are working just fine!
:)

6 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3