Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help Me Grade this piece of Writing!!!!    

Help Me Grade this piece of Writing!!!!

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi, I have read the paragraph and it is really nice. It does have some spelling mistakes but...despite that, his writing is coherent and the message is clearly understood. Sometimes students have that problem, they write beautiful things but their structures are not correct so you have to guess what they meant to say. This is clearly not the case. I would congratulate him, give him a six (the top?) and I would remind him to be careful about his spelling in a future writing activity :)

8 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I know this is not professional, but have you tried asking kids to grade each other �s work publicly in class? I was wondering if any of you ever have ever done it? I tried a couple of times, just to see, and it turned out kids are more objective than we are... just an idea, don �t anybody go crazy over this now, I know it �s Monday, but let �s all play nice, now...Wink

PS:I have a 3rd grader who writes A4 pages of compositions with 3-4 spelling (not grammar) mistakes and the texts are great, and I like to think it has something to do with my work with him. But then again, I have a 7th grader who would need a dictionary and my help to understand what your brilliant kid wrote, and I have to admit that �s my student as well...that �s life, right?

8 Jun 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

You know Anita, I found that one of the learning effective ways is to have sts. correct each other �s papers. I tried it a lot, and it �s really more beneficial than correcting their papers and asking them to check  their mistakes.

I even used to supply them with expressions to use and write feedbacks.
They loved it and asked me to do it now and then.

8 Jun 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

After reading your encouraging and bright word, I reached a decision. My student deserves 5 out of 6.

Thanks a lot for your support and help, dear friends.
You made me feel how proud a teacher should when having a talented and smart student like mine.

Thanks again.
Nebal

8 Jun 2009     

Montypython
France

Hi dear Nebal!!!

i �d definitely give 6/6 as it �s excellent (a few mistakes are not what matters in my mind. it �s fluent, there are even great idioms! )
Wow! I �m impressed!

Lots of love

Marie

8 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

I am with Monty, it deserves a 6/6... Or no grade just an "Excellent Work" at the top if you are worried about other children seeing the mark.

It �s extremely well done for a child of his age (and the spelling errors are inconsequential, he will improve over time on that). Heck, mine are still struggling with describing an animal correctly!! 

I envy you, I wish I had a student as proficient as yours is for his age.

Smile 

8 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3