Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WHY POINTS MATTER...    

WHY POINTS MATTER...

anitarobi
Croatia

WHY POINTS MATTER...

Dear colleagues,

I just felt like sharing something with you, so bear with me because - in written form- I am a woman of many words. (In life, a woman of actionWink)...

I �ve been a member for exactly a month now (I just checked my e-mail confirmation date, and it �s funny that the dates coincide like this), and I �ve become addicted to it, as many of you have. My husband is very understanding, even happy for me, because I finally have a site where I can chat about teaching problems, share ideas, learn so many new things (even details on using my PC and the internet in a way I hadn �t before), ask for help and get it, and get the necessary motivation and inspiration to be a better teacher. And I �m not only talking about worksheets, powerpoints or online exercises. I �m talking about sharing the problems we have with teaching adults, or teenagers, or preschoolers, the problems some people here had with getting students with all kinds of disabilities and deciding on how to approach them, I �m talking about the debates about some verbal usages that really bug us, I �m talking about the help we give each other providing links (which may seem silly to some people, but I always feel like it opens a new window in my professional, sometimes even personal, life)... And I just wanted you all to know that I am very grateful for having met people, teachers of English or not, who find teaching a vocation, not just a paying job, and who, like me, love/hate it and can �t live without it.

Anyway, what inspired me to post this were the words of one of my friends who is not a teacher, but who had been for a long time, and who now has a child in school and appreciates teaching as a profession. When I told her about this site, with even more enthusiasm than I �m showing now, and explained the rules and everything, she joked around and said: �Points, ha? So, how many have you got? � And I said it didn �t really matter, because it �s not like I �m doing it for the points... She agreed, thought for a while and said something I had never thought about like that...
�What do you mean points don �t matter?!?!?! Can �t you see that if you have 100 points, it means 100 people in the world have downloaded your stuff! And that means... you have helped 100 people, and some of their students as well... �

Enough said...

THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING SUCH SWELL TEACHERS AND COLLEAGUES!

27 Jun 2009      

carinocitalgonzalez
Mexico

I AM ONE OF THE TEACHERS WHO HAVE DOWNLOADED YOUR WSS

THANK U VERY MUCH!!!

I HAVE 222 POINTS AND I REALLY LIKE TO SHARE AND IMPROVE MY WORK!!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY OR NIGHT!!!!
SINCERELY
CARI�O

27 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

PS: I know everybody hates long posts, so I �ll remove this one very soon, don �t worry...Wink

27 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Just last week my hubby and I looked at the flags of the people who have downloaded some of my worksheets and suddenly he said;
"Are you aware that some kids in Thailand, Japan, South America, Canada, France, Germany, Latvia, Russia, Finland and many more countries are sitting in a classroom working with materials you have made?

I was astounded and overwhelmed by this revelation!  Just think of how we help each other but also help children around the world.  We are not only teachers in our own schools and our own classrooms, but classrooms all over the world.  Now THAT is fantastic!

Our classrooms have gone global and the world is now a smaller place!
Teachers are united by this site - isn �t that incredible???

Thanks for your great message - funny to think that we often have the same thought, no matter where we are!

Happy weekend
L

27 Jun 2009     

carinocitalgonzalez
Mexico

DON �T REMOVE IT, I THINK YOUR EXPERIENCE HELPS TO ME LIKE A NEW MEMBER

27 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Don �t you dare remove your wonderful message!!!

I think messages like yours are heart-warming.
If someone thinks your message is too long, they can just skip over it.

Any good message worth thinking - is worth reading!

27 Jun 2009     

procei
Brazil

First of all don �t remove your post...and second you must be a luck person to have nice and full of feeling people around you.....tell your friend that he/she must be a special person like you......

27 Jun 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Dear Anita,
You �re wrong about deleting your lengthy post. I enjoyed reading and rereading it.
It really expresses how I feel.
I can �t deny that at first I cared about points, but day after day this great lovely community proved to me as well as to many other members that it �s more than points and competitions. This site bears great love, support, cooperation, and good friends .
This site has always flourished and is still flourishing daily.

And the biggest joy resides , as Liberty mentioned, in the fact that our contributions are shared all over the world. We are no more national teachers. We are now international teachers. My students know about  many teachers here. They love your worksheets and ask for more. They like the idea of sharing foreign students the same materials. 

Anita, keep the post lively here. It rocks and I �m eager to read more opinions.
Lots of love,
Nebal

27 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Great post Anita!

27 Jun 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

I, too, am deeply impressed by the fact that kids around the globe will be doing or have already done some of my games and worksheets.
There are some people here that I feel rather close to without knowing them, just because I like their style or because we �ve exchanged a couple of messages (like you, anitarobi). It �s SO exciting ...
I caught myself thinking today that one day we should have an international meeting somewhere.
That �s probably impossible, but shows how close this site brings us together.

27 Jun 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Wow, Anita,

thanks for the inspiration...

Beautiful words and beautiful story, my husband also sometimes looks through the site with me, smiling and making sure there are mostly girls here... LOL

I guess that �s the only right way to look at your points - indeed, that many teachers you have helped. We tend to forget about this viewpoint sometimes.

Thanks.

27 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >