Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Parents versus teachers    

Parents versus teachers

Damielle
Argentina

Parents versus teachers

Unfortunately, in my country this is becoming more and more usual. Does it also happen in your country?

translation: WHAT SORT OF GRADES (MARKS??) ARE THESE???

28 Jun 2009      

doccarazo
Spain

Hey, didn �t you know? Teachers are responsible for everything. We have to coddle the students and do all their work so they coast into a top job without actually doing any work. Parents never accept responsibility because they are never around so they deflect their inadequate parenting on the teacher. Yeah, I �m a teacher and a care giver. Shame it doesn �t say that on the door.

28 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

LOL!I have the same thing in French... I guess things are the same everywhere.

28 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

In Japan they �re called �Monster Parents � & there was even a drama series dedicated to them!

28 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

And we also have the "helicopter parents"

28 Jun 2009     

floris79
Chile

Yes those parnets are also very exhausting. Asking for extra tests to fix the grades and that kind of stuff.
But I also have an indifferent group that just dont care. which also is as bad.

28 Jun 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

that �s fantastic !

28 Jun 2009     

Mahalo
United States

I love the cartoon- It is very much a shame- parents seem to rule the roost (tell the administrators what to do) instead of the administrators having backbones and sticking up for their teachers- especially when they do not have tenure- which is 4 years where I live.

There is a school district made up of very "well-to-do" families, and they get to decide what teacher stays or goes every year... I teach adults now instead of children- LESS POLITICS!!!

28 Jun 2009     

lomasbello
Venezuela

I thought it only happens here in Venezuela!! Some parents go to the school twice in the whole year. The first time to register the student and the second one to look for the report cards arguing they did not know anythin or nobody called him / her.  I just ask myself Is it only  teachers � responsability?

28 Jun 2009     

QueenJade
Netherlands

This cartoon is so funny!!! 
A teacher, I became friends with here, sent me this a few days ago by email but it �s in portuguese.

It �s funny how the whole educational system makes sure the teacher becomes responsable and guilty of all the shortcomings and failures at school. 

28 Jun 2009     

eng789
Israel

Being as old as I am,  I remember when the teacher used to always be right and was respected.  Today,  parents have the last word.   Kids can practically say or do whatever they want and we have very little we can do about it.  If a kid behaves badly or doesn �t succeed, it �s the teacher �s fault but when he �s good and successful the parents take the credit.  The funniest part is that when I call parents about a kid who is behaving badly and disrespectful to teachers or other kids,   instead of saying "we �ll handle it"  they say, "we have the same problem at home,  "maybe you can talk to him,  maybe you can do something".  They pass the responsibility to the teacher.  I guess what keeps teachers in the system it the little successes we have once in a while. Like when a troublesome kids suddenly starts working and learning.  Or when a very weak pupil starts to read and you can see in their face they are proud of their new ability.  Or when 3  or more years later, I kid that really gave you a hard time, runs up to you on the street and hugs you and say that you were his best teacher even though all you remember is yelling at him to stay in his seat and stop disturbing the class. 
I really believe there must be a gene called "the teacher gene"  that keeps teachers going back to school every September with a smile on their  face.  

Horace Mann said it beautifully: "Teachers teach because they care. Teaching young people is what they do best. It requires long hours, patience, and care."

28 Jun 2009     

1    2    3    Next >