Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > THE ESL BOOK CLUB! (Continued)    

THE ESL BOOK CLUB! (Continued)

spring
Turkey

Hey there,good morning.
Dona,I also like Russian literature and I strongly advise you Anna Karanina.
And Baiba �alıkuşu is a really good one to start with Turkish literature.I enjoyed it a lot too.
Now I am reading a book by Gilbert Sinoue called  "Des jours et des nuits" ,has anyone read it????
By the way Stephen King is also a great writer.Remember that many of his novels were turned into movie.
*The Green Mile
*Misery

If I just wanna relax and feel the romance in different kinds then my address is Maeve Binchy.
*Evening Class.
*The Glass Lake
*This year it will be different

20 Aug 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Eclipse by James North Patterson.

Thanks to my good, old mother, who remembered the name.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

20 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Turkish members - do you know if �alıkuşu is translated into English?
I would love to read it.

hugs
L

I can see that we all love so many books that is would take forever to write them up here, but if you suddenly remember one you forget - please add it to this list.

I �ve read tons of Russian literature and love them all!!! 

20 Aug 2009     

spring
Turkey

Hi L,
Yes the book is translated into English with the English equivalent Goldcrest.

20 Aug 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Libertybelle, �alıkuşu has been turned into a film too. I loved it when I saw it a while ago! Beautiful actors, great music! It must have been translated into many languages because I read it in Latvian and it is NOT the world �s most widely used language!

20 Aug 2009     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

How about "Papillon" by Henri Charri�re ?

I loved it! It �s a great book turned into a film too.

20 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

You �re still at it - wonderful! Yeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Nebal, The Scarlett Letter by Hawthorne - such an amazing book (and such a disappointing movie for me, despite the fact that it has Gary Oldman)

Douglas, I love sci-fi, but I love time-travelling books, so if you have some to recommend, pls, do! (So far Timeline is my favourite). Jules Verne - fantastic stuff for kids and adults! Talk about imagination there!!!

Judy, I completely agree with you on imagination in kids! But it �s no wonder - if they need a piece of information, they google it! If they need to see sth filmed, they youtube it! They get too many things done! In my school, we �ve been running a project with reading for 11 years now (it �s a reading quiz with prizes which lasts for two and a half months) and the kids go crazy over it - they love reading the stories, and they never get them all, but one part each week. So we really work on imagination, because they keep guessing what could happen next and stuff! I just love it!

Spring, Stephen King is amazing!!! When I first watched Green Mile and loved it, I thought �I have to read this book �. And when I heard it was his, I couldn �t believe it. I mean, it �s the guy who made us afraid of children �s nursery rhymes and clowns, and now he �s all... spiritual! An amazing personality and a fantastic style of writing!

20 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Still going on?!? I must hurry. Yet,  I read  all of your ps people, mostly diagonally. Liberty, I �m almost sure I saw �alıkuşu at Barnes &  Nobles, in North Carolina, 2 years ago. Let me "pull the the fire under my sardines"  as we say in Portuguese (stinky, but delicious):

Jos� Saramago�s  
Memoirs of the Convent,
the story of  Baltasar and Blimunda, some good historical setting, yet hilarious: the guy builds a giadget to fly, two demented wi....s, flying over a Portuguese Convent, "vulturing" Inquisitors sniffing around them.

I mUst be going n....     

20 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

How about The Name of the Rose by Umberto Ecco? We mentioned Mika Waltari yesterday so I thought of this one, too. Btw, people, if you like history and reading about it from a personal point of view, through the life of an individual of a certain era, read Waltari - fantastic stuff!

20 Aug 2009     

fletsch
Canada

Great book everyone.  I look forward to reading many of your suggestions.  My favourite writer is Dean Koontz.  It is hard for me to pick my favourite book of his, but I would have to say, "Life Expectancy"

Have a great night everyone, off to bed for me...

Fletsch

20 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >