Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Again and again!!    

Again and again!!

dareka1
Japan

But if it was four or five users who each have 1000 points or more, then one person abusing it is much less likely. That�s the point of having it reconfirmed 3 or 4 times by other people. And if one of the users abuse it too much (which will probably only happen once or twice anyway) then they can get banned from being able to use the function.

�For the function to be abused with this system, one person would have to set up five accounts and get 1000 points in each or five different corrupt people would have to flag it (or something in between)- very unlikely.

�But I�m only putting my two cents� worth in.

�It�s not going to kill me and it is a little pedantic pointing it out, but would people remember that "dareka1" put forward the idea of freezing the worksheet downloads and then having 1000 points? It seems everyone is getting credit for the idea but me.

19 Sep 2008     

victor
Spain

I agree with you Dareka1.
Is someone wants to abuse the freezing function this person would need to create five different accounts and get 1000 points with each one. Even in that case, people using that function improperly could be detected.
Anyway, if a worksheet is unfailry "frozen", it could be given a new opportunity including it in the recent contributions for a second time.

19 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Another idea. It is not as radical but it can help limiting the damage and especially to prevent those downloading signaled stolen WS from justifying their act by saying they did not remark the comments.

So, what about putting the download link at the bottom of the page just below the comment sending point. And better, make this link active only after we post a comment.
Like this it will be 2 birds with one stone.
1-We cannot pretend we did not see he other comments while writing ours.
2-Oblige those people who only download ready made material without even leaving a simple "THANK YOU" to let a comment in this sense. I am sure you agree with me that the designer�s hard work and time spent deserves at least a simple "THANK YOU".

It can help meanwhile looking for a more efficient way in order not to sanction people who do not deserve it.

19 Sep 2008     

dareka1
Japan

That�s a good idea (Victor). A way of giving compensation in kind/ a chance to try it again to the person whose worksheet was unfairly flagged.

�Putting the download link at the bottom is in principle a �nice idea, but it would get tiresome scrolling down all the time, especially if there were 200 comments (on the assumption it was a good worksheet and everyone said thank you). And, speaking only for me, I don�t want everyone to say thank you, I�d like maybe five thank yous and 2000 downloads Smile�. Enough thank yous to make me feel good, and no more.

19 Sep 2008     

mmargalef
Spain

Whatever you will do Victor, it will be perfect. I don�t know the solution to this problem. I agree with dareka that having the download link at the very bottom can be tiresome (specially when you should scroll down 50 comments).

What I�m sure about is that you are too generous, Victor. I wouldn�t give a second chance to those people who steal worksheets. They know the rules and if they haven�t read them they see them in the forum everyday. So why being so kind to these people?

And just a question: where do these thieves get the worksheets from? They don�t have the points to start downloading. And what do you do when people send you emails asking for worksheets?

19 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

I don�t know Victor.
I am just afraid that some people will use this option as a means to have control over others. You know there are hundreds of contributor with more than 1000 pts. I think we cannot guarantee them all being fair.
I am afraid some people will practice a sort of blackmail on the others such as you download mine or I freeze yours.
Just a remark, there are websites which are designed by a whole team of professionals with enormous means however they are subject to cheating, forgery, and piracy every day. So, what about a website designed and looked after by an individual with I am sure limited means and resources. Let�s try not to ask too much from Victor and behave as teachers who represent all the noble principles (I mean those acting the reprehensible way).
More important, and this is my point, we seem to forget that we are teachers talking about teachers. Then, I think no technical tip or means can stop people who have no self-esteem and professional conscientiousness from cheating and abusing the others.(a the French say "A malin, malin et demi" = there�s always someone who will outwit you. negatively of course)
I just like Victor to consider this option as carefully as possible. I am certain there is another way.

PS: What is the utility of the options relating to stolen/sacnned/empty/Non-esl WS at the bottom of the page?

19 Sep 2008     

dareka1
Japan

I�m not sure on the blackmail part, usually the most likely result turns out to be the one that happens, but-

� "Let�s try not to ask too much from Victor and behave as teachers who represent all the noble principles (I mean those acting the reprehensible way)."goodnesses

I can agree with you on that point (as I can that there is always a loophole to be exploited). It�s easier for me to give out suggestions because I�m not running the show. It�ll be a hard choice because for Victor because all the consequences of any change made can�t be seen until they happen.

�The one point is though, at least it seems to me, it�s not about loopholes as such, it�s about being stupidly, openly deceitful. If I stole an expensive watch from a friend, I wouldn�t wear it while visiting his house, out to a night club with other friends would be better (as an analogy). As in we all know it will happen, do it with some discretion please and don�t rub our faces in it.

19 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Sorry but I am a little bit angry and upset.
Of course, I am upset by this kind of reprehensible acts but what upsets me more is that since at least acouple of days there have been some topics posted in the other categories by members who are really in need of help. Topics that could be very useful to us as teachers if discussed seriously from various points of view. Unfortunately these posts are laying there with nearly no feedback.
But each time someone reports a stolen worksheet or some kind of forgery it provokes a rush of feedback ending in pages and pages of posts most of which just repeating the same fact: stealing/cheating/forgery... are bad.

Sorry if my words seem somehow rude but I had to say it.

Best regards and respect to all of you.

19 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

"Let�s try not to ask too much from Victor and behave as teachers who represent all the noble principles (I mean this sentence is meant to those acting the reprehensible way not to the respectful and respectable ones)

Forgive me if it was misleading still I am not a native speaker.

19 Sep 2008     

dareka1
Japan

(@ goodnesses) No, my mistake as well.�Embarrassed I am a native, but will have to study English a bit harder it seems...

19 Sep 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >