Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Sad...    

Sad...

zailda
Brazil

Sad...

I am very upset after reading this thread (http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=13261) specially because Michaela (zambia09) said she plans on leaving the site. She �s been doing a splendid work here, keeping the site clean and reporting tons of stolen & copied material which for some reason were away from our eyes.

Some old members don �t have the time even to update their old printables to better fit the rules, whereas some new members spend a bunch of time working for this community, and they are criticized all the time.

Is there a kind of "hierarchy" here? Do the old members think the newbies have to "respect" them just because they arrived here first?

In a community all the members are valuable and have a place, we have to respect everyone here, but not because they are older than we are, but because everyone �s contributions make the community grow and be the way it is.

Some members left the community because they felt it was time to go, and it happens. They have gone but their contribution, ideas, thoughts and knowledge will be with us forever. But we have many new members arriving each day and some of them also have splendid contributions to share, will we let them do so?

Or all we have to show is a community that regrets the old going but bar the newbies with rules that are not for everyone?

It might be comfortable to have many points and no new contributions at all. You just sit and watch the new struggiling with rules and pictures size. You don �t even have the time to update old contributions and you don �t care whether your wss are following the site rules or not.

Is it fair?

27 Oct 2009      

Portugal

Don �t be sad, Zailda (& Labybird), please.

As far as I �m concerned, I agreed with you both Z&Z, yesterday.

I guess you said it ALL, had nothing to add, thought your contributions should be showing at the board, for as long as possible.

However, since you bring up the subject, I thought there were 2 ethical/practical issues there:

No1: Somehow, new rules shouldn �t apply to old contributions, following the general principle, that laws only apply after being set.

No2: The contributions being discussed put a lot of weight on the site &/or model new members � contributions in an undesirable way. Undesirable, let me clarify, because. 1) some of them could put a lot of weight on the server, which is a current problem & 2) they can model new members � contributions not being compatible with the rules recently set.

What is more important here? No1 or No2?

I guess no2 would prevail, for the community �s sake, development & empowerment.

So, I ask again:

Don �t be sad, Zailda.
Don �t leave the site, Zambia.
Please.

Edit: you are both Z&Z, astonishingly, strong women and I�m not hyperbolizing  (wOOw! This is a big word - Latin origin, sorry!...) here.

Best regards to all.

Idalina Jorge (nikadixon)

27 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

I am going to say this quite simply with a little story that is quite true:

When I bought my center a few years back. One of the main doors opened inwards instead of out - something that is not allowed nowadays. BUT because the building was built before the law was changed I didn �t need to change the door as long as I had another fire exit - which I did, and this was all that what was required by law years ago. Doors could swing inwards as long as there was an alternative fire exit.

Now, the law has changed and all doors must swing outwards. So this means that if I put in a NEW door it must open out and not in.

So in my opinion, old worksheets are like my door - it swings inwards but it harms nobody. I don �t need to replace it and why should I if I don �t need to?

There is always room for the "old" as long as they hurt nobody and quite frankly, "the old ways" are what built this amazing site - like it or not new people - and suggestions were made, one of them being mine which was limiting uploads and so forth... NOW... I suggested this rule because it was impossible to go through so many downloads not because of anything else... - I will admit that I found it a bit annoying having to download worksheets in 2 different files - but I never ever went, after the system was implemented, searching through old work to find old printables that I didn �t like.

It �s a shame new people do not like "what once was" and cannot just let sleeping dogs lie - because quite truthfully - Who even knew about these worksheets before somebody had scoured the site looking for them? They are not "stolen" or as I like to say "taken" from somebody so why bother?? Is Victor complaining?? All that things like this do is cause very bad blood and split us up into three groups - ones for, ones against and ones that could care less.

Personally, I think that lately things are getting out of hand and Zalida, you are very wrong about members leaving because "they felt it was their time to go"... It wasn �t their time - I know that because I know a few of these members - some left because of the negativity and intolerance floating around the site lately...

27 Oct 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

"She �s been doing a splendid work here, keeping the site clean and reporting tons of stolen & copied material which for some reason were away from our eyes."

Zailda, I couldn �t agree more with you regarding Michaela, she, and others like her, are worth more than all the points on this site.

Recently in Samoa the driving law changed so that everyone now has to drive on the left instead of the right. I doubt this law is only for new drivers.

David 

27 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

@Zora - I �m a 52-year-old woman and I �m not intolerant, but in fact I �m strict about rules. For me rules are not to be interpreted, they are to be followed with no exceptions.

@David, I couldn �t agree more with you. Recently my State changed laws and nobody can smoke in public buildings. I have smoked for decades, so is this law to be applied only for the recent smokers? I don �t think so and I follow the rule - strictly.

Rules are necessary to keep the order and the more the community grows, the more we need to be strict concerning to rules.

Is this intolerance?

If I don �t feel comfortable in a place, for me it �s time to go. We regret some old members going away but we also have to provide space for the newer.

27 Oct 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Everybody agrees that Michaela has done a good job here trying to keep the site clean, I told her about it time ago... but, why to leave? Becasue some of us did not agree with her? Come on...

Sometimes nobody agrees with me and it is not reason enough for me to give up and say: ah, you did not agree, then goodbye...

If she is very convinced she is right, she should keep on fighting for her cause... I do not see this as a big deal to leave a site, but I will also respect her decision, this is MHO...

And for everybody else, we ALL should stop saying how things here should be done, we are only moderators who moderate according to Victor�s rules, we�re not here to create rules, and if he says all the old worksheets which do not follow the new rules should be deleted, then of course! all of them should be deleted.

David, Zora, Silke, me, and all of us can give excellent examples about what we think is correct, I gave one... so what? Does it mean we are the ones who are right??!! No way...

So... until Victor says that old worksheets which do not follow the new rules should be deleted, I�ll keep thinking the same way.

Have a nice day everybody =)

27 Oct 2009     

Jayho
Australia

It�s such a shame when valuable members decide to leave and they �ll surely be missed.  But only they know what is best for them.  If this site doesn�t do it for them anymore then that�s ok.  We are all responsible for steering our lives in the direction that we want and we know what is good for us and what is not.  We know what we want and expect out of something, what we want to put in and take out, and what we will and won �t accept. This will be different for everyone because as the expression states, �one size does not fit all�.  We all make our decisions accordingly and we all respect the decisions made by others.

For those valuable members who do decide to move on to greener pastures I wish you all the best in your future ventures and encourage you to return if and when you want.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

@Julieta, moderators are not creating rules, we are only trying to apply them to all members here. And no one suggested the old wss should be removed, I personally think they should stay, but the owners should have a period of time to update them according to new rules.

Isn �t it fair?

I �m sure Victor reads the forum and if he has something to say he certainly will. I think he �s like a father and sometimes he wants us (his kids) to walk with our own feet. He �s a democratic person and more than once he has kindly done what members asked him to do. All we want is the rules being applied to everyone because we feel it will be fair for everyone and not for "one side".

After all it �s very difficult to decide what to do having two kinds of rules here. And it �s  hard work to decide even having only one rule for everybody.

27 Oct 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Ok Zailda so...  I think you all have stated your opinion very clear until now...

We only have to wait for the veredict :P

See you!

27 Oct 2009     

Akanah
Spain

Zora, Julieta, totally agree with you. Zambia, you shouldn �t leave just because we don �t think like you do.

Some of you say that when a law changes everybody has to follow the new law. Ok, no probs, but you don �t have to revise your work to follow these new rules and that �s what is being asked here. It �s not a matter of points, really, it �s a matter of time.

If an old WS is not an ESL resource then, ok, let �s vote for its removal. But, do we have to revise and re-upload our ESL work? Not fair at all. When talking about WSS with only a few points, no probs either, it �s the author �s decision (I �ve removed some of my games coz they only had a few points). But, once again, we �re talking about spending time, time we have to create new WSS, not to revise the old ones.  

My POV. Of course, if Victor says they should be re-uploaded, I will do so. Till then, I �ll keep voting for them to stay.

Olga

27 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I �ll have to leave but will return to see the veredict.

BTW, I want to see Michaela here tonight, we have tons of work to do here.

Don �t be lazy, dear Michaela, lots of work waiting here....

27 Oct 2009     

1    2    3    Next >