Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ESLP RULES! OK?    

ESLP RULES! OK?

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

ESLP RULES! OK?

ESLP RULES!  OK?

The first Rule on the ESLP Forum is:

�You are free to use the Forum to express yourself, ask for help, make suggestions, etc.�

(For those of you who are irritated by Posts of more than a few lines, or who are uninterested in this Post, please, feel free to use the �Scroll� Button, which is on the right side of your screen.  You will pass immediately to the next Post.  Thank you!)

In Dublin, a motor-cyclist was arrested for contravening a Traffic Rule, and charged with Impersonating a Police Officer.

Apparently, he had been riding his motor-cycle in public, wearing a white crash helmet, on the front of which was written the word P.O�LICE.

After enquiries, the charge was dropped, and the Police released the defendant, Mr. Patrick O� Lice.

A few days ago, I was criticised on ESLP for starting a new topic in reply to a previous post, �Over� or �Around�.  It related to a Member�s doubt about the suitability of the Answer given in a Key to a Multiple Choice Question.

I contravened ESLP Forum Rule 3: �Don �t start a new topic when you are replying to a previous post�.

I broke a Rule!

I was wrong!

I apologise!

In my defence:

I thought that I was helping to resolve the doubt of a Member!

I was specifically asked to answer the question, by a second Member!

In giving a full, clear answer, I thought that I was serving the wider community of all the Members!

No doubt someone will ask me why I didn�t answer the query when it first appeared on the Forum.

I am like several other Members of ESLP, who don�t have the luxury of free-time when I want it.  I must first devote hours to compulsory chores, before spending a few minutes in-between-times, for �recreation�.

British Universities insist that academic arguments should always be factual, and accompanied by examples and authoritative references.  I am convinced, by the numerous messages to me from non-native speakers of English, that detailed explanations are welcomed by them, because many of them do not have ready access to comprehensive dictionaries and grammar books.  Many do not understand computer technology.

Adult learners tell me that, as children, they had to learn certain concise English �rules�, and that these rules became fixed in their minds:

�Every sentence ends with a full-stop�; �i before e except after c�; �Every Leap Year can be divided by 4�; �If a noun ends in f or fe, the plural ends in ves�; �If a noun begins with a consonant, we say �a�, if it begins with a vowel, we say �an�, etc.

Every one of these rules is concise!  However, because of the Teacher�s desire to avoid a long explanation, every one of these rules is incorrect!

The Student must now unlearn this concise �rule� and learn the correct �rule�, which is more wordy.

On the Forum, there are 10 Rules regarding the behaviour of Members.  Unfortunately, most of these Rules have been broken at one-time-or-another.

To take but one example, Rule 9: �If you want to share photos, wishes, funny videos, etc. please use the �Teachers � Cafe�, not the Forum�.

This Rule is broken virtually every day, with photos, animations, announcements of illnesses, catastrophes, deaths, births, marriages, seasonal greetings, etc.  Some of them occupy a huge amount of space.  Yet, (generally speaking), Members do not complain.  Indeed, usually, other Members join in and also break the rule.

Consequently, I was surprised that, whilst attempting to help someone, I was the object of so much detailed criticism, because I had broken a Rule.

I found some of the comments surprising.

One contributor made the perfectly valid comment that the exam question under discussion was ambiguous and that examinees should not be examined on regional varieties of English.  The question should not have been used.  Broadly speaking, I agree!

Unfortunately, the reality is that the candidate is sitting in the exam room, with the exam question on the desk, badly-worded, waiting to be answered!  In a professional examination, the candidate is powerless to change the words and must answer the question, as written.

In my opinion, the candidate would be unwise to answer: �This is a badly-worded question�.  In many situations that would be academic suicide.  He/she should do the best to answer the question according to the Exam Instructions, (which is what I did), and give a grammatically �correct� answer.

My advice is that the candidate should then ask a senior member of teaching staff to write to the Examining Body, in accordance with the Exam Regulations, explaining the problem with the Exam Paper.

One of the purposes of ESLP is to improve the teaching of English to non-native speakers.  As everyone knows, a �Forum� is �a medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged�.

Strangely, another contributor complained that English grammar queries should not be answered on the �Forum�, visible to half-a-million Members, but should be answered in a �Private Message�, visible to that one questioner only.

I am trying to visualise a similar scene in a classroom, where a Teacher would give a grammar explanation to one student, but would not want other students to hear the explanation.  Why would any Teacher want to do that?

As I read the criticisms of my contribution, I felt that I was being subjected to a complete psychoanalysis.

I am verbose.  Then, by implication, I am also probably unfair; annoying; and discourteous.

And then, apparently, I think that I am �allowed to do things that others aren�t�; that I believe that I am more �valuable� than the average Member; and that I regard myself as �better� than the other Members of ESLP.

All of this was deduced from a Post, (attempting to help someone), that didn�t comply with ESLP Rules.

At one point, I began to worry that I might be dragged before the Human Rights Commission of the United Nations.  What would my darling Aunt Liz and my dear Uncle Walter in Vancouver, Canada, think of me then, when they realised that I had broken Forum Rule Number 3? 

To be on the safe side, I changed into clean vest and underpants!

My only slight consolation was that I hadn�t broken Forum Rule Number 6.

So That Everyone Is Clear

I broke a Rule!

I think that the Rules apply equally to ALL the Members.

I believe that ALL the Members are important.

I regard ALL the Members of ESLP as making a huge contribution to the learning of English, and for that I say: �Thank you!�

Because I have written this Post in a light-hearted manner, you may think that I am unaffected by the replies to my previous Post.

You are completely wrong!

The replies reveal much about attitudes on ESLP.

Les Douglas (ldthemagicman)

10 May 2011      

moravc
Czech Republic

You made me smile. "To be on the safe side, I changed into clean vest and underpants!" - really funny!
Dear Les,
I am absolutely sure there is a vast majority of members who are thrilled to read explanations from a native speaker! No matter whether in a new post or as a reply.
Most members who write on forum regularly broke one or more rules, so IMHO there is no need to make a big fuss and I find it really impolite to slap a HELPING hand. I feel sorry for you...

Maybe you can enlighten me one "big" problem. How do you call a  "project" written by a primary school pupil and presented in front of a class (for 10-15 minutes). The topics are various, eg. fun facts about frogs or a report on books written by... JRR Tolkien. We call it   "referat" because the kids refer about one topic and "teach" the other pupils.
My Canadian friend told me that "project" is not the correct word for that and I don�t like googled expressions such as paper, report, essay either.

10 May 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Canny lad, Les!

You know, of course, that a) someone is going to complain that this rebuttal should have appeared in the original post and b) someone else is going to point out that its length reduces the amount of posts on the page. Aaargh is all I can say.

Personally, I �m always happy to read your thoughtful, careful posts - whether I agree with them or not (although I usually do). The forum �rules � are essentially common-sense guidelines rather than tablets-of-stone commandments and, where there are any doubts, I think most of us - like you - tend to take the more open-minded, flexible approach. A sense of humour helps too (though this can also be a source of contention for some), so don �t worry, dinna fash yersel �, man, and carry on helping as you see fit.

All the best,

Alex

10 May 2011     

doubledecker
Finland

thumbs up Les!!!
I always enjoy reading your posts, they �re witty, useful and interesting even if it may happen that sometimes one or two rules are broken.

so please, do go on, write long, wordy explanations about how English works, only Natives can have this insight!!!

oops, maybe i�ve broken a rule by answering your post here and not sending you a PM??? No offense!!!
Handshake

@ Almaz : keeping your sense of humor is essential I agree but I must confess that sometimes it�s a tough job when you read some posts you can have the feeling that you�re being sermonized and it�s not really enjoyablePinch. I won�t even use this bossy tone with my pupils

10 May 2011     

alexcure
Poland

Dear Les,

I cannot imagine the forum without your posts! I love the English language thanks to people like you, Les, it is an absolute pleasure to read you! It is not only because of your wit (intelligence and humour) but also your eloquent style of writing which I adore.

And thank you for your forum rules thorough analysis ;-).

Have a nice day and please stay with us as you are, even if you were to write a hundred page post
LOL!

Alexandra

10 May 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

Beer

10 May 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Funny, witty, precise, wise but never simply common sensical, your posts are among the best in the forum. It �s always a pleasure to read you.

(Please do change your vest and underpants now and then on behalf on your dear aunt and uncle!)
Hug

10 May 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Les! I love your interventions on the forum! I am a groupie, a fan, a supporter! Whenever I see one of your replies, this is the one I start reading first! Why?
Because your mastery of English is stunning and because your grammar explanations are so complete and clear and helpful  and because your sense of humour is unequalled (maybe by Almaz Wink ) and because you are so caring and respectful in your way of answering people who don �t master the English language the way you do , and because you are so clever ... And because I read you as if I was reading a novel!!! Phew! Have I said it all? Big smile
Now as for the rules, there are no moderators on this forum, is there? Apart from Victor, I guess. Has he said anything? From all I know , he hasn �t! So, please carry on writing! If this is an infringement to the rules, it is very unimportant!
Noone is more important on this forum than anyone else. Some people are more knowledgebla , more competent, more creative, more concise, more enthusiastic, more ( run short of adjectives... Will you help me please?LOL ) Well I am sure you can �t do such good smileboxes as mine!!LOL
 So please, everyone,I pray you,  understand that Les is unique like everyone of us and that he should have the right to express himself in his own way , which , so far has shown very valuable to lots of members!

Best regards Les.

From Marieth�

10 May 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Les, being the one who asked about "over" or "around" in the first place, I feel I have to say thanks to you and all the other members for the clarifying explanations I received.
PhilipR, sorry if it �s a "poor exam question" to you, but that �s how I found it in FCE Masterclass St �s book ... needless to say, having a key and disagreeing with it, I wanted to have an explanation from a native speaker ...
Evidently, Les, most of the teachers here agree with me : your explanations are clear - as long as they may be - and useful. Other members � are concise and shorter and as helpful as yours.
Having said that, thank you all for always giving an answer whenever I have questions - as simple as they may be for some members here ...

10 May 2011     

Greek Professor
Greece

You know...as the saying goes... �Rules are meant to be broken"....

I love reading your explanations Les.....they make me a better teacher....your explanations are just so complete and clear and helpful ...like Mariethe said...
I also find pleasure in reading your posts....

Hope your underpants were white...to show how clean they are...LOL

Be well and continue your extraordinary explanations....

GP

10 May 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Thumbs Up

10 May 2011     

1    2    Next >