Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Why Did You Choose Teaching as Your profession?    

Why Did You Choose Teaching as Your profession?

rach81
Philippines

Why Did You Choose Teaching as Your profession?

Hi dear teachers just want to solicit answers from you regarding the question "WHY DID YOU CHOOSE TEACHING AS YOUR PROFESSION?"

regards to all,

rach c",)

12 May 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

I come from a line of teachers in my family. I grew up watching my mom and family teaching.
Still, I developped a love for learning a second language and because of that I was trying to figure out a way to work in a field that had to do with languages. I started to do a bachelor in translation but after a semester, I realized I would spend a lot of time in books and not a lot with people. I then decided to switch to teaching. I have never regretted my choice. I love what I do.

12 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

I don�t know about anybody else here but for me I�ve always wanted to teach. I loved playing teacher with my teddy bears and stuff. And when my parents renovated an old prairie school house that still had the blackboards in one of the rooms, I almost died and went to heaven... a real blackboard!! And I had it all to myself! I could write on it, explain to my invisible students, write with coloured chalk... it was the best thing ever!

Me being a teacher is my vocation, I�ve always wanted to do it and I love it, no matter how much I complain at the end of the day. (and believe me - there are days ! Tongue ) In fact, I could easily work as a bilingual secretary and make loads of money BUT it�s not what I want to do in life. I choose this, and this is where I am the happiest.

12 May 2009     

Popina
Uruguay

Well, personally  I love challenges, and teaching has many challenges. Everyday is different, different situations, different problems. The students are different each year. You have the challenge of keep your students motivated and I love that ! I have a great relationship with my students. They always tell me their problems and I enjoy helping them. I teach mostly teens and I seem to be the only one who thinks teenagers are adorable!! They really are!! Besides they depend on you, they admire you , and you  are their role model!  and that�s a big thing, a huge responsability, they look up at you. I also like the atmosphere I create in my classes, based on respect for each other. I love applying different techniques, the other day I was working with a song with my 15 year old and I thought that they wouldn�t sing it, but guess what they did!! They sang it four times!! Even the principal came to the classroom to sing with us! It was a grat day! Honestly I got chills because I thought that it would be impossible to achieve. And that is SO REWARDING you know really get yor students! I love the phrase "to teach is to touch a life forever"  that summs it up, don�t you think!!Tongue

12 May 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

can I just complete the question..... and why English in particular
I will have to run now, my students waiting for me
I will be back to post  something about my experience later
Thank you all for your contributions
BRAHIM

12 May 2009     

roneydirt
United States

I grew up taking care of kids, way we secretly made food money.  Grew up in officers country where wives weren �t suppose to work and we military brats were suppose to smile all the time.  I enjoyed helping with the kids and teaching them new things.  My other hobby was studying history.  I went to school working on getting a multi-level history speciality degree.  Still working on that but want to expand my studies so added an ESOL certificate and came to Asia to teach English while expanding my history studies in Asian history.  I like the look on kids faces light up when they get it correct even if they said the wrong word but was spoken correctly.  (Have a few troubled students, like many on here probably.)  No matter how bad the administration and co-teachers make my day when a student �s face lights up and THEY are learning, it is all worth it.

12 May 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Much like Zora, I grew up teaching my dolls the lessons I had learnt at school. I knew that I was going to be a teacher but it was some years after that that I made up my mind towards teaching a foreign language. I was going to choose teaching French but somebody suggested English because the former was diappering as a subject from Argentinian schools.  

12 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

In a former relationship I had 3 step children.

The first was an �A � grade student, but had some issues that caused a lot of personal distress for her as she was finishing high school;

The third was orally, verbally & creatively bright. A really charming lad with a wonderful nature but almost illiterate due to a very bad teacher or two in primary school (he wasn�t the only boy in the school to suffer in this way due to that teacher...)

The middle one was a real issue. You could write a PhD thesis on him & still have more than enough detail to write another!. Behaviour problems, paranoia, assault, finally drugs, the list goes on & on

It was my experiences with these children, their mother & grandfather and a handful of wonderful & dedicated teachers that really sparked my interest in teaching.

A good, interested & empathetic teacher can make a world of difference in so many ways for children & youth.

That & roneydirt �s observation - seeing faces light up when they learn is a priceless experience.

12 May 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I worked as a bank teller for 19 years and when I quit my job the owner of the school where I learned both English and Spanish asked me to teach there. I didn �t want because I �m from a "teachers � family" and never wanted to teach because I knew my aunt, uncle and sisters were overworked & underpaid at this profession, but after a few classes I became hooked on... simply couldn �t help it. I guess teaching is in my blood.

12 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Wow, I �m speechless.. these are really nice testimonies. Thanks for starting that topic.

12 May 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

I love literature! I want to talk about it all the time. I honestly don �t understand numbers. Words are so much easier, and I actually think that grammar is logical.

Well, I should add that I like people, and helping others makes me feel as if I �m contributing to the world. I really don �t know what else I would do.

Carla

12 May 2009     

1    2    3    Next >