Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Text messages    

Text messages

alien boy
Japan

If English didn �t evolve or change then we would be speaking, reading & writing a totally different form of the language...

just compare the following:

Sod Egges: Seeth your Egs almost hard, then peele them, and cut them in quarters, then take a little Butter and put it in a platter upon your egges.

Fygges doth stere a man to veneryous actes, for they doth auge and increase the seede of generacion. And also they doth prouoke a man to sweate: wherefore they doth ingendre lyce.

or my personal favourite recipe for a hangover cure... for someone else!!!

Wi� �on �e mōn hine fordrince. Genīm swines lungenne gebrd 7 on neaht nerstig genim fīf snde simle.

Or maybe Chaucer?
Whan that Aprill with his shoures sote
the droghte of Marche hath perced to the rote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe course yronne,
And smale fowles maken melodye,
That slepen al the night with open y�
So priketh hem Nature in hir corages�
Than longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, couthe in sondry londes;
And specially, from every shires ende
Of Engelond to Caunterbury they wende,
The holye blissful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen, whan that they were seke.

I read recently that SMS/text language was actually allowed in certain examinations in England... I suppose it could also be related to literacy issues & some of the organisations & arguments for a new modernisation of the language.

16 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

@Ivona Smile

I am not against them using it, but I am against them using it for "everything"  or as their only way of communicating. Believe me, big corporations are still going to be using "normal" English in ten years and the kids that are hell bent on using this all the time are crippling themselves in a way... Not knowing how to spell properly is a big thing... what are those kids going to teach their kids...?? "B is 4 bb l8r when I no how 2 spl? Or ask smb ls, I cant hlp u..."

In my opinion, people should know how to spell properly before they play these games.

And I would like to point out that SMS was invented not by kids but by adults! It appeared as the mobile texting craze started up as a way to "save" space when texting. 90% of the people back ten or 12 years ago using cell phones, were adults and not teens or children. This teen thing has been a fad of the last 5 - 6 years... and which I am honestly against, and not for the reasons some think.

Cell phones can cause cancer, the packages even  have warnings on them "Not recomended for people under 16" ... and there are 8 year olds using them!! 

Anyways, enough ranting... this is just how I see things and everyone else is entitled to their opinions. Wink

16 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

"... this is just how I see things and everyone else is entitled to their opinions. Wink"
Now, there was no need to point that out. It goes without saying! Wink
Ciyas. I �m off to do some tedious repetitive work - housework. Approve

16 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello Ivona
I am on your side. Kids are so imaginative when it comes to discovering these codes. I feel it is important ( and I consider it is also teaching English ) to teach them what " LOL " means, for example.

Anyway, we have to talk the way they understand us, if we do talk/write they will feel more confident about us, teachers. Traditional and correct language is also important, but nowadays there are places for both.
BTW, you all know
"  2teach is 2love 4ever ."

Hugs ( I love these topics and comments )

16 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

No matter how we try to hold the tides back the waves of time come like a thief in the night washing what was and what is away piece by piece till all has changed...

As a history teacher you should see the books the way they were written 20, 50, 100, 200 years ago and see how much the English language has changed and evolve.  There was a site by Webster Dictionary with a couple others making lists of words that have become... in my words extinct and what they evolved into.  But alas I have lost that site as well the site that had a listing of each decade worst cuss words.

Do I agree on using computer chat and text language in the classroom...  Only very limited as a special lesson into modern slang with a discussion on when it is appropriate and not.

16 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Olindalima: ( I love these topics and comments )
Ivona: I like them, too. Lovely discussion. And lovely to hear different opinions (to which everyone is entitled Tongue).
Roney: No matter how we try to hold the tides back the waves of time come like a thief in the night washing what was and what is away piece by piece till all has changed...
Ivona: I wonder how a teen would squeeze this one in an sms, or even better, squeeze it into 2-3 words. Could anyone imagine?? Smile Does anyone know? ... Now, back to hoovering. (Oh, i �d better say �vacuuming � after watching Opra �s show on teen �s slang! Embarrassed)

16 Jun 2009     

isabet
United States

I think that it �s not our obligation to teach students that "C U" means "see you" but  I don �t see any harm in doing so since acronyms are part or the language and have become very popular.
Anyway, I think most of us use them but never stop to think that we do. I, myself, use and have actually used BRB, AFAIK or ASAP many times and never thought it was wrong to do so. 

TTFN Hug

P.S. I have to admit that I don �t like the excessive use of online acronyms eirther. Smile 

16 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thumbs Up

Hi dear Ivona

Are you getting lazy ?
What about those fantastic ideas of ...

" !!!!
I �m off to do some tedious repetitive work - housework. Approve !!!!!!!!!! "

Have you finished? No, so stand up, leave your poor laptop to rest a little and start hoovering, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, whatever.
What about ironing? are you sure everything is ready?
Don �t forget to feed the cat.
I want to see everything clean and shiny when I arrive.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 

16 Jun 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Last week two of my teenage students were writing sentences on the white board with verbs that they had chosen.
One wrote something like:

I watched my bff on television last night.

I said to her.... my bff? What �s that?

She replied "My Best F$%king Friend" (which is a TV show with Paris Hilton... sigh)

My response (while I was trying not to show I was a wee but shocked that she had said the F word so confidently....) was to then point out that bff was an abbreviation and therefore the best way to write it was My B.F.F with the letters in capitals with period between each one. Big smile

(I had to admit I was unable to figure out what the F �s stood for when I saw the advert on TV.... now I know....you learn something everyday eh?)

16 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

@ Olinda
Shhh! Just shhhh! I never even got up from the desk! I never left the building! LOL (Btw, i don �t have a laptop, and i iron once in a blue moon. And the blue moon comes when hubby goes red in the face for not having his shirts or pants ironed. LOL)

As to the anecdote Cheezels shared, i get shocks like that myself quite a lot. Paris Hilton is popular, as well as the abbreviations, and it �s all because the society (in a way) made them like them. As Leavis, a literary critic, said (paraphrasing):

There are elaborate mechanisms for stealing of our desires before we have the time to name them. They are reduced, processed and sent back to us, and we end up getting what we like and liking what we get, that is, what we are supplied with.
(Just think of the commercials for things you don �t actually need at all, but that convice you that you do.) The society then boasts of being free and democratic, giving an individual an honorific place withing itself, which in the end proves to be an illusion.

We, the enlightened-smart-dedicated-creative teachers Wink, should endeavour to bring back the stolen desires to our ss... oops, i meant �students � Approve .... and make them ... (now you finish the sentence. the first one that does it will get a point for it. Thumbs Up)

16 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >