Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Text messages    

Text messages

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

.... and make them ... (now you finish the sentence. the first one that does it will get a point for it. Thumbs Up)

and make them aware that we got a brain when we were born and, it is a good idea to make good use of it, otherwise it can get rusty.

I want my point.Evil Smile

16 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Naw, i was looking for a more creative and imaginative answer. Sawwyyy. You have to use your brain in order to get a point from me. Tongue Ahem. Cool

Btw, i �ve just uploaded my first film ever made (based on the photo stories i did with my ss). take a look. it was filmed within the 60min lesson. no prior practise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVwGPwSNLg

16 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi, I have just been to utube and it was my privilege to be the first to leave a comment.
AMAZING. congratulations.Thumbs Up

16 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Cheezels, I was told that BFF stood for Best friends forever.

16 Jun 2009     

liverpuliana
Spain

I don �t think there is any harm in teaching them the abbreviations as long as we also teach them when to use them. For me it �s like teaching them you don �t talk the same to your teachers as to your classmates.
As far as I �m concerned if it �s the way native teenagers write their text messages they should also be aware of this.
I hope I don �t sound too modern. For me we have to teach them different registers.
Inma

16 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

@ manonski
Do you not think that they deliberately call it BFF? Word play, it seems to me. (Though, i had never heard of the show before Cheezels mentioned it) Ermm

@ olinda
are you trying to bribe me? you �re still not getting the point! you �ll have to try harder. Cool

@ Inma
Yep, different registers. As libertybelle said, ... ahhh i forgot what exactly she said, but you �ve all probably read it above. Lol! Excuse my memory like a sieve. Wacko

16 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

That �s not fair, you keep all the points to you. What is the point of having all the points. Let me point you something. I want my point.

16 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Ivona, I know that in Paris Hilton �s case, the f could mean fu**. I teach elementary and I can tell you that the f stands for forever.
See ya later! Going for lunch!

16 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

I agree with Mano-BFF- is "best friend forever"

Personally, I try to avoid text messaging as much as possible (I am extremely slow at it).

I don �t have a problem with teaching it though: for a spoken English class, if the symbols L8r help a student learn the word "later" then I am all for it.  I don �t see it as being much different than using the IPA (phonetic alphabet). Let �s be realistic--in most cases in the professional world where spelling counts, there are spell checkers available.

Learning a language needs to be fun, if they can have fun with these abbreviations, then I am all for using them.

And as for languages changing with time:  when the h$ll can I start writing lite, nite, and thru--I �ve been waiting for yearsBig smile

16 Jun 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

hmmmmm I guess swedish teenagers are a bit more crude in their meanings of more traditional abbreviations... I am pretty sure now that with Paris Hilton �s show it probably is the rude one.... but the other one is much nicer!
Anyway at least I taught them how to abbreviate it properly... right off to class! Big smile

16 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >