Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Text messages    

Text messages

mhelena
Brazil

Hi everyone...

Sorry, the polemic ws is mine...  so ...

As in Portuguese, in the English language, the widespread use of acronyms is a relatively new linguistic phenomenon, becoming increasingly evident since the mid-20th century. As literacy rates rose, and as advances in science and technology brought with them more complicated terms and concepts, the practice of abbreviating terms became increasingly convenient. The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) records the first printed use of the word initialism as occurring in 1899, but it did not come into general use until 1965, well after acronym had become common.

So, the abbreviated language of SMS messages, ORKUT or EMAIL may be to avoid waste of time and often financial, however, students should also be aware of the standard formal language for cases where it is not this type of language. This way is only to get agility� each situation demands a different language!!!

E-mail for friends is different of writing for important or unknown persons.

But it is a fact� nowadays there is a dialect of our own young people and we can not ignore!!!! Only we must prepare them to transform this daily language in a formal language, just for the moments that probably would need some day.

I think so...

Have a nice day!!!   :))

MH

16 Jun 2009     

Isabelucha
Portugal

I �ve read all the messages up till now and I also agree that text messaging is important too. Though we may not give it an extreme importance (which it doesn �t have), because the "old fashioned" way of writing is the correct one. Of course language evolves but this a process which always takes decades and decades to develop. It �s not all of a sudden. Let �s take it slowly and teach them the correct english writing and speaking.Smile The kind of exercises we are referring to may be used as an extra class activity, or just for fun or even when we talk about the Internet or computers, but we shoudn �t emphasize this topic. That �s my opinionSmile

16 Jun 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Wow I really opened up a can of worms there didn �t I?? Amazing... Thanks for all your comments.
I still think the youth of today (yuck I sound like my mother...) can be different by letting their bums (sorry bottoms) hang out of jeans and colouring their hair red white and blue. I don �t think they should use the English language to do it. I also think it is just a way of being lazy. I am all for languages advancing and developing, but I really don �t see how these abbreviations are an advancement. Great to see you all having a nice little chat though. Its great!!!  Hugs to you all Yeti xx

16 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

A topical �news � item:

Cheers,
AB

p.s. Just a few great quotes about letter writing:

The age of technology has both revived the use of writing and provided ever more reasons for its spiritual solace.  Emails are letters, after all, more lasting than phone calls, even if many of them r 2 cursory 4 u.  ~Anna Quindlen
Grammar is the grave of letters.  ~Elbert Hubbard
I´m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools.  Let´s start with typewriters   - Frank Lloyd Wright
There is then creative reading as well as creative writing - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Omit needless words. Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a
paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary 
lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.    - William Strunk, Jr.

If you can´t annoy somebody, there is little point in writing. - Kingsley Amis

& I´m sure others have their favourites too!

17 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Hey, that �s a great article on texting! I �m pretty fast at it, though i use both thumbs. And i can text blindfolded, too! I proved it to my hubby just some time ago when he challenged me. No mistakes were made and i was so proud. Approve Now, are there any oncoming contests?? Cool

17 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

>>Yeti: How is using "xx" at the end of your message different from using other shortcuts when writing messages?  Why didn �t you write "kiss Kiss"?  Aren �t we talking about (doing) the same thing?

17 Jun 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

OK you got me there. I never really thought about that one. I admit defeat....  Who would like a text message. he he (laugh laugh)  Yeti xx (kiss kiss)

17 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

It �s really weird, but while posting today in other threads, i would go back to the Q i would write and change it to �question � ... weird what �s this thread has done to me! i want things as they were with me! Shocked

17 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

Face it Ivonna,  we have reprogrammed you into a new, improved(?), and less efficient but more personal YvonnaGeek

17 Jun 2009     

yetigumboots
Germany

Yes!  Then to at least get people to think about it is a result???? Yipppeeeee ( is that an abbreviaiton?)

18 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5