Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Antivirus    

Antivirus

blizzard1
Denmark

Antivirus

Hello

Can someone recommend me a good and reliable antivirus program?

My computer has been working slower than usual since we got the virus.
I have a local  antivirus program but it �s not the first time it lets me down.Cry  Angry

If you have or know of an antivirus program you trust and really works please let me know.
Thanks...          

23 Jul 2009      

mena22
Portugal

Hi Tisha! I �ve had Norton before and although it was very good I replaced it because it was too heavy and made my computer a little bit slow. I �ve had McAfee for a year now and I �m quite happy with it. I haven �t had any problems so far.

P.S. I should add I�m no expert though. So you should really read other opinions. 
Hugs,
mena

23 Jul 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Tisha. I �m using ESET NOD32, and it �s worked wonderfully.  Maybe you can try it.

Hugs,

Mar

23 Jul 2009     

meuge
Argentina

Hi!!
The same happened to me with Norton Mena... but I �ve switched to ESET NOD32.... I cannot complain... IT is working quite well... though the other day I had to run the antimalware that Cheezels recommended... it found some malware that NOD hadn �t noticed...

Hopefully you will receive some more technical explanations from an expert...Embarrassed

Hugs!!!
M. Eugenia

PS This is the thread http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=10497

23 Jul 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Hi Tisha, don �t forget that appart from running the antivirus scanning  you have to clean the temporal files and cookies from the  computer. When we are on this site, we download many things and reduce the virtual capacity of our computer that makes it run slower. Once in a while, we have to do such a cleaning.

Besides, Zaila recommended this spireware remover.

23 Jul 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

My computer didn �t catch the virus, I was in ESL all day, my antivirus detected a "non requested download" that opened each time I logged in but I simply closed the window. I use Avast and in my opinion is the best. I also use SuperAntispyware, that keeps my pcs away from any kind of spy or malicious software. I �ve never have problems with viruses, trojans, etc... I have the same computers since Dec. 2007. I recommend both, one complements the other. I use resident antivirus and make them scan the pc once a week.

Have a nice Thursday

Zailda

23 Jul 2009     

anyteacher
Argentina

Here is another advice...
I have AVG antivirus free, also I have CCleaner and also Spyboot Search and destroy. I always make a pc scan once a week too. Good luck! Anal�a

23 Jul 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Hi

I also had AVG for a few months, it �s good. I use CCleaner every week ang get rid of lots of worms. They are all good, but you have to registrate to get fully protection. In the settings, set the resident protection to be active. I use Firefox and use some addons very good for protection. I never "argue" with my antiviruses, if they say something is not good, I agree with them.

I have a downloader addon that checks every download for virus first. I also use WOT that gives me alerts when sites are not secure. The important thing is to set the antivirus to protect all the time and scan the computer at least once a week.

Cheers

Zailda

23 Jul 2009     

baiba
Latvia

I can only agree with Zailda that Avast is really reliable because I also use it and I did not have any virus problems!

23 Jul 2009     

blizzard1
Denmark

Mena, Mar, Meug, Dami, Zailda, Anyteacher and Baiba THANK YOU all for your help. I �ll work on it immedeately. Have a lovely day.

23 Jul 2009     

mariamit
Greece

Hi Tisha,

I also got the virus a couple of days ago or I should say the virus which was a rogue worm tried to enter my computer but both my antivorus  stopped it. I use the exact same programs as Zailda- Avast and SuperAntispyware. Norton is a wonderful antivirus but it is extremely heavy and should be used only on PC that have the required space and capacity. If you �re using a laptop forget Norton. AVG is pretty good I had it in the past but  the free one is not 100% efficient. In all cases it is better to invest in an antivirus than to download the free version.  The regular ones are great.

23 Jul 2009     

1    2    Next >