Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Libraries Tempting Students!! How????With Coffee!!!    

Libraries Tempting Students!! How????With Coffee!!!

Nebal
Lebanon

I do understand your point Sara, but the problem highlightened in the post is whether you find coffee a good idea to tempt ur students to read.

Well, if you offered them coffee, would they read more. Is it a healthy way?? Can �t this problem be solved in more appropriate ways???

It �s not treating whether coffee should be allowed in libraries. Noooooooo!!
It �s the relationship between coffee and the love to read.

20 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

I have to agree with Sarah... anything that promotes students to go to a library and use it, is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with studying quietly with a cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate on hand.

In fact, a lot of book stores are using this idea in Canada and every person I saw there, was basically quiet, respectful and reading quietly at their tables. To me this is basically the same idea. It �s just a harmless gimmick but it works...

20 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Just a simple question and it my last one.

Have you just looked carefully at the picture �s scene? Does it really show a quiet and serene atmosphere of a library for studying and concentrating?
Then, in libraries as we know them I don �t think it �s forbidden to bring your cup of tea or coffee with you as long as you respect the place. It would be as if you forbid bringing your bottle of water to drink.
Again, the problem is not the cup of tea or coffee. It is putting a commercial stand with all that it implies (noise, shouting, arguing...) in the middle of a library.

EDIT

20 Aug 2009     

Portugal

I �ve not read other people �s opinions, sorry. I �m just responding, not minding at all if I sound like a cranky old lady.

NO WAY!!!

I love libraries. I �m  (we all are, at home) still an intensive user, though I surf online databases on a daily basis, for fresh research. I �ve been a bookworm since I started reading, started spelling tram signs, granny amAAAzed. There were some "van-mobile libraries"  coming to town. 3 books could be borrowed every 2 weeks,  I was exceptionally allowed to borrow 4. Hired more for a penny at the bookshop.

College and British Council libraries were my best resources ever, back in the 70ies. I just couldn �t afford buying all the books I wanted to read. Still are.

There is a public library just around the corner, always LOAded with young people. Spot for coffee and snack in the Hall: youngsters are deadly hungry all the time. At schools, NO! EITHER you study, take notes, focus, whatever, OR you spill coffee on books, crumbs all over,  butter stains on PUBLIC PROPERTY. What about the SMELL of books?!? Is it to be mixed with the smell (mmmmm...) of coffee, ?!?! And I fancy a nice perfume, too!
So, NO way!

nikadixITGeek

20 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

OH GREAT!!! (NOT!!)
Coffee stains in books - sticky-gooey stuff on the covers
and wet tables for writing. And more noise pollution!

Why does everything have to have a gimmick?
Either a kid wants an education to have a good future or he doesn �t!
I �m tired of always going down to the lowest common denominator!

Why do we have to cater to the young, why can �t they be challenged
by lifting themselves up instead???
Talking about being spoiled and waited on hand and foot!Thumbs Down

Ballets today have to have rap lyrics and break dance - Operas are
sung to a drum rhythms, Shakespeare has to be set in modern times.
The Remote Control/Zap mentality has taken over every quiet nook and cranny.
It seems like the young today don �t understand how wonderful
a quiet place can be. They are so bombarded with impulses and information, millions of
TV channels and Ipods that they get nervous if confronted with silence for a few minutes.Wacko

There has got to be some places where people can go to work in peace and quiet.
I drank my coffee at home - went to the library to find materials and work and then took the books home when I needed another cup of what-ever!

(sorry to vent like this)
Hugs
L

20 Aug 2009     

Silvy_E
United States

Can �t agree more with you, Lisa.

I �m very old-school ...

S

20 Aug 2009     

kristynofis
Chile

Ok i have my own theory with this, it is not about the library but it �s about students, one day i got the good idea to tell my students if they wanna to bring something to the class to eat and they were absolutely happy and they work superfine we did a good activity and although they were eating they were paying attention on my class, students nowadays needs food they don �t have habbits and they eat just crap, and about the library I think that for adolescents this idea may not work but for me that i �m still studying at the university, in the library they sell cofee and stuffs and in the end is your desicion because you create your own strategies to study or to read, for me it �s fine that in the library sell coffee because is a lovely place

pd: don �t judge me for mi opinon

20 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

I don �t agree with the idea of a "libreteria"! Libraries offer culture not coffee or tea, if I need one I go to a cafeteria. I �m myself a library bookworm and I love the silence, the soft noise of pages that are kindly turned... it �s charming!

20 Aug 2009     

nejar
Peru

Well, I love reading and occasionally some coffee, or a glass of wine, in my place. That �s my style, in privacy. What should we consider now? Young people popping in libraries to get together with other students to get some work done? If I were one of them I wouldn �t like to be judged because I have found my way to enjoy myself while reading or doing a paper with my classmates. Even if it is in the middle of food, coffee or noise.  If they were home I am sure they would also have loads of coffee in order to stay awake. I have seen stained and sticky book pages since I was a kid so I am not going to blame these places for them now. If it is a school , I am sure there are regulations about coffee and ages to have it.

Just expressing my feelings about it. Smile

20 Aug 2009     

eng789
Israel

I think libraries should be quiet so students can study or do research.  I know that my daughter often goes to the university library to study because her apartment is hot and the library is air-conditioned - it �s easier for her to concentrate there. 

There is nothing wrong with a coffee shop atmosphere nearby in another room - students also need to socialize occassionally and take a break.

20 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >