Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Old members, new rules    

Old members, new rules

zambia09
Czech Republic

Well, Olga.
Most of the members have enough points so I would give them some time to update these wss �coz even if they �d lose some points it should not affect them too much. I think it is not fair to new members whose single worksheets are removed.
I know loads of people will not like me for saying this but that �s how I feel it.Stern Smile

26 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I understand that rules are rules and  there �s no way to manage a site with "after/before" rules, or rules that apply to new members but not for the old ones. When old wss were uploaded the rules were different because of the size of the site and the number of its members.

The site has grown fast though and needs new rules to adapt to the new reality and number of members. The rules are to be followed by everyone with no exceptions - in MHO.

However old wss should have a period of time for adaptation to the new rules, during which they wouldn �t be reported, but after this period they would be treated as any other ws here. Some of them only need to be updated, and  no one loses points merely updating a work.

26 Oct 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

I mean clearly completely useless as English teaching material for you or any other teacher.

"I was talking about templates and pictures and lyrics without any tasks and so on" and that �s what I was talking about too. I would add text without tasks and any WS that is not mean to teaching/learning English. But not old WS with some L1 which can be useful for a lot of members. Though new ones should not be allowed because as I said the owners now know the rules so they have to take them into consideration before uploading.

EDIT:
As for the server´s space I don´t think the old WS will double or triple their weigh. They are taking the space they took when they were uploaded.

26 Oct 2009     

Akanah
Spain

I �d say there �s a simple way, Zailda: just try to find (and that �s asking Victor) when the rules were set and apply them from that moment on. 
 Giving them a period to be adapted? I think it �s unfair. I don �t know you, but I dont � have time for that.

Off to bed. Good night and thanks for your answers.

Olga

26 Oct 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i think is not fair for those who made the flcards to loose the points if the rules werent there at that time. even if they update them they still loose them and the people who took advantage of the work will still have  them and use them.

26 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hmm...

I think many people here find it so easy to condemn when they are not affected.

What happens if, say, we are suddenly not allowed to use adapted texts or any type of clipart in the future??

Will these members that are so quick at condemning others works because of "new rules", going to be so righteous if all their hard work is deleted from the site - even though, perhaps there might be a clause that allows their work to stay, but because some members think that they need to go through everyone �s work and report it and say "New rules, gotta go"??!

I think that we really, really need to be a bit more tolerant and look at things carefully. If you are going to be a moderator then you know what?! Saying "I am new here and didn �t know..." is no excuse for not knowing when new rules were implemented. It �s a cop out, moderating is a big responsibility and that is why I am extremely careful when voting to remove. I would hate to have somebody remove a worksheet of mine because a silly error was made. Confused

26 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Dear Akanah, I haven �t got much time either.

And losing some points won �t hurt for old members who already have more than enough. It �s unfair to have different rules for the members here, if the problem is space the old wss take the same space as a new one, so they should fit the same rules.

If I want to use an old ws, why should I have to upload 6 wss, if the new contributions have at least 6 flashcards? Why should an old wss "cost" more than a new one?

When rules are changed in my country I have to fit them, and can �t use "lack of time" as an excuse to not fit the rules.

26 Oct 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

A car is a car. It is mechanical and the older the worse.
A WS is a WS. It doesn �t change size or shape or volume. It neither makes noise nor exhausts CO2.

Even in courts when a law is applied for the first time it doesn �t apply to faults committed before it. These faults are judged by the laws of their time.

26 Oct 2009     

Zora
Canada

Yes, ladybird BUT I bet that that law in Germany was not just put in overnight. I think that, like here in Spain, a few years were given to everyone so that they could do something about their "car situation". Neither did the German government just take people �s cars away from them and said "too bad, you shouldn �t be driving this big gas guzzler..."

I still think that people who moderate should look at everything before making a decision and I don �t think that a worksheet from over a year ago is bothering anyone if it �s in different files AND it occupies basically the same amount as if it were in three or four different files instead of 12.

26 Oct 2009     

zailda
Brazil

They use the same space but if 6 flashcards are uploaded as 6 single documents I �ll spend 6 points and not 1 - as the new rules state. No problem for me, but is it fair that the owner gains 6 points for 6 single flashcards and new members have to struggle with the pictures size and digg thorugh tutorials to reduce the image to upload 6 together and receive only 1 point after all this work? Maybe new members have got much time to manage pic reduction and old members haven �t got any to update their old printables.

I agree that the old members should have a period of time to update their printables and that moderators shouldn �t delete old wss until we have a clear decision about this matter.

26 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >