Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Leaving Comments: some food for thought...    

Leaving Comments: some food for thought...

Damielle
Argentina

Leaving Comments: some food for thought...

Today I have downloaded this worksheet and left a comment..

check it out: it was the first comment since it was uploaded (or the system was updated)  on 23 - Jan - 2008 but the worksheet has 114   downloads!!!

Is it too difficult to leave a short comment to the people who have shared their work with us?

15 Nov 2009      

baiba
Latvia

The sooner Victor makes the downloader names visible, the easier it will be to see the ungrateful customers!

15 Nov 2009     

Moon22
United Arab Emirates

Dear Damielle,

I agree with you and your topic on this forum, but !

Do we really need someone to leave a comment all the time..?
Yes, I get very happy when i see a comment under one of my worksheet and get happier when the number of download goes up.. not because of the points only ! but also to know that my sheet is valuble and can be taught in other countries around the world Smile

I can �t deny that leaving comments is a joy itself, but i make excuses for people around the world and think that they might be busy and don �t have time to do so !

overall, I think that this issue came on this forum hundred times and there is no solution for it if the person him/her -self don �t leave a comment... there is nothing we can do about it :)

15 Nov 2009     

Morrisons Eyes
France

Well, it �s true that it �s nice to read the comments on your ws but even if I leave many comments, there are times when I don � have time... (OK, I can already hear some people saying that it takes a minute a say thanks, but still, you might be doing a lot of things and being in a rush).

AND I have had one ws that was downloaded 146 times, I would never want to have 146 comments!! c �mon, I �ll never have time to read them all and I �d feel guilty about it.

FINALLY, seeing the downloaders � names makes me think of Big Brother, who �d want that??

STILL, I agree that 114 downloads without even one comment is not nice...

(sigh)
ME

15 Nov 2009     

Nuria08
Spain

I totally agree with Morrisons.
I usually leave a message when I dowload a worksheet, but sometimes, if I �m in a hurry, I don �t do it.
There have been occasions when I have received a private message from people who usually download my worksheets but don �t have time to leave a message. They thank me in private and it �s OK with me.
I really don �t think it is necessary to always leave a message, because the fact that someone downloads your work, means that they appreciate it and think it �s worth downloading. For me, that �s enough.
I don �t need to see the downloaders � names. If someone wants to remain anonymous, I think they have the right to do so.
Sometimes, when I see that someone leaves daily messages on my worksheets, I take the time to look for their worksheets and download some of them, too. So, people who leave messages are sometimes rewarded for it. Of course, they are also more appreciated by the members of the community. But leaving a message or not, is something we should feel free to do...or not. Without pressures!

Have a nice Sunday, guys!

Nuria

15 Nov 2009     

frenchfrog
France

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

When I download a worksheet from a member, this member:
1) saves me time
2) saves me money
3) gives me new ideas

3 reasons to say something!!!

15 Nov 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

My point is that it �s so unusual to see a ws with so many downloads and no comments. If so many people have downloaded it, it may be well done so I wonder why nobody has left some encouragement words for a person who has been kind to take the trouble to share his/her work with us.

I always leave comments and like getting them, even when they are done to suggest some changes. I �m just speaking my mind, not critizing anybody. It �s a matter of choice. I �d rather leave some comments to thank, praise people �s job and encourage them to go on working and sharing.

dear frenchi, I agree with you

15 Nov 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

I agree with Damielle and Frenchfrog.
Leaving a "Thank you or ":))" doesn �t take so much time. Let �s stop to think how much time  we are saving thanks to the person who has done it. It �s just an opinion.
Have  a nice Sunday!!

15 Nov 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I don �t agree with "Sometimes I don �t have time". Seriously, if you were getting that printable in person instead of through a website, you �d take the time to say thanks. Like Frenchfrog says, when I download a printable, that is less time for me spent on building an activity for students. Nothing will keep me from typing thank you because not doing it is a huge lack of respect in my book.

15 Nov 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

This "don �t have time is nonsense".  I usually try to say something nice about a worksheet, but if I am really rushed, like the student is sitting in the class waiting for me,  I just say thank you:)  A total of three seconds to type, 1/2 second to hit submit and you are finished. 
It really doesn �t take much. 

Hugfrom Israel.

Judy

Edit:  We try to teach our students manners.  You shouldn´t teach what you don´t practice.

15 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

A few other perspectives to do with comments/feedback...

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=1918

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=1914

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=2149&page=1

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=3491

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=3412

�Thank you�s � are ok, I suppose... but it�s easy for useful feedback to be drowned amidst a chorus of what some consider to be fairly meaningless �white noise �. One constructive piece of feedback can be worth much more than countless bland �thank you�s �... (to some members, anyway)

Just expressing a different perspective... I �m not looking to cause an argument.

Regards,
AB

p.s. do read this one too!

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=6416

15 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >