Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Please change avitar    

Please change avitar

Mahalo
United States

A good suggestion is to imagine what your mom or grandma would say if they saw this...
Both my parents were teachers, and they would NEVER have approved..

24 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

My mother & grandmother would have laughed at the image... but, as people have observed, because this is a site for teachers from all around the globe it�s not really appropriate.

However, I feel it may have been a little better to PM first & then ask for opinions if necessary. The same way that delicate matters should be approached... & then if there is no reply or an arrogant & ignorant reply you can bring it to the forum for discussion. Sort of like the appropriateness of a poem listed in the forum...

Regards,
AB

p.s. you�re right Harim. Spagman should have said it differently rather than being �back handed� in his example. That sort of post is on par with the image he suggested.

24 Nov 2009     

dennismychina
China

What�s the expression about a picture and a thousand words? Avatars are pretty much a reflection of ones personality I�d say. But if a worksheet such as 28 BAD WORDS IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE can remain on the site with 100 odd downloads, which by the way is aimed at fourteen year olds, then I�d say we can use any dam image we like as an avatar.

I must admit that when I first saw it my initial reaction was oops a bit religiously sensitive.

Enjoy,

24 Nov 2009     

volga
United States

Does someone approve avatars before they appear in our profiles? I thought so.

24 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

No, nobody need approve an avatar. We are, after all, adults here, so we should be capable of thinking things through rather than having to have someone constantly holding our hands!

It �s a little different having an offensive avatar when compared to discussing taboo language. I wouldn �t teach adolescents taboo language, but I have no issue with adults knowing about it.

Cheers,
AB

24 Nov 2009     

volga
United States

;o) I asked because whenever I change my picture, it never changes right away. I don �t mean that moderators are involved in this process, but there �s also a site owner. So... ;o)

Have a good night/good day!
V.

24 Nov 2009     

Mr Jazz
France

Dennismychina is totally right my friends! I �ve been browsing this excellent site for roughly 2 months now, and quite a few ws are absolutely riddled with various problems (spelling, grammar, you name it...) tough downloaded and supposedly given to students dozens of times!!! This detail seems to me much more sensitive than a little picture -which I like, but I �m tattooed too...- occasionally seen by responsible grown-ups!

24 Nov 2009     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Personally, I like it, it makes me smile. But it is inappropriate here. 

24 Nov 2009     

Baadache
Canada

I agree

For me , this picture should  be  in personal sites but not here. Don �t forget it is an educational site.

24 Nov 2009     

mr.dgdln
Turkey

sorry but I don �t agree with the ones who find it inappropriate. it is not the same as showing Mohammed with a bomb in his hand. how poor can one �s imagination be so as to compare it with that funny avatar. it is the first time I agree with Samantha.there is nothing wrong with the avatar.
Samantha please don �t take them seriously if you find it appropriate yourself.

24 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >