Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Please change avitar    

Please change avitar

Cyn.
Argentina

Frankly, ever since I saw you new avatar Sam, I was waiting for something like this to happen...
I feel you were just being a troublemaker the moment you chose it, and although it might be funny, this is clearly not the place to use it as an avatar, and since it might be insulting to some people, how about just not using it?
This is just my opinion...

24 Nov 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

The choice of an avatar is personal... I can �t always guess the reason behind the choice but I guess it gives us an insight into the member �s personality.

I don �t always like the avatars I see around here... but I never thought that I should get involved. I �ve seen for example an avatar of a woman with a cigarette in her mouth and I �m personally against advertizing or glamorizing smoking. However, I keep this opinion for myself because I don �t think it �s appropriate to ask anyone to change his/her avatar.

About this specific avatar... Well, this person is from Italy and there �s a fair chance that she �s a Catholic! And if she sees humour in her own religion, I honestly can �t understand what �s wrong with it!!! I think that it �s ok ... as long as it �s about our own religion or culture... as long as we �re not making fun of other people �s religious and cultural values.
But some people may not understand me and my (Jewish!) humour... - meaning - the ability to laugh at ourselves! It �s great fun, believe me! It makes life more exciting and colorful!

I personally would not have chosen such an avatar (and to be honest I couldn�t post a picture other than my own... even though I�ve been getting unpleasant "offers" on my pm box here and there) - but it�s a matter of taste! And who am I to tell people how to dress, how to speak or how to present themselves on a public scene?

Have a good day!

24 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Sam,

as for me - your avatar makes me smile - but there might be (and obviously are) people who feel offended by it. As this site is really for people from all over the world, you should think about changing it. Not all the people have the same sence of humour (if any) and it can be really offensive to believers (I consider myself being an atheist respecting other peaceful religions).
Think about it.

BTW, Being called a troublemaker just because you think differently seems tooo strong to me. Sometimes is better to be considered a troublemaker than to become just one of herd of sheep. Wink  (no offence, Cyn.)

@Mahalo: I agree with alien boy that making this thing public wasn�t the best idea. If the avatar seemed disguisting to you, you should write a PM to Sam. That�s my opinion.

Michaela

24 Nov 2009     

Missfrancisca
Spain

I think there are nicest pictures to share than this one I don �t like any pictures taking the mick out of  any religion. We should be more careful , we are teachers.

24 Nov 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

Dear Michaela,
You keep finding my comments too strong... I don �t see why... Out of all the comments there are you have to say something about mine... *sigh*
There �s nothing wrong in saying that somebody was being a troublemaker... In fact, I �m pretty sure (not 100%) this was Sam �s objective, especially since she has been having some problems with people sending her nasty PMS regarding her looks... This avatar, to me, says "kiss my..." and it could have been meant to those people who had been nasty at her...
However, since the woman there seems to be a catholic nun, as a catholic, I am offended.
But again, this is just my opinion...

24 Nov 2009     

zailda
Brazil

The image is just funny in my opinion. It �s taken from a cartoon, that �s all.

But I �ve seen some avatars with the teacher �s pic (or I assume it �s the member in the picture) which are inappropriate in my POV. Teachers wearing a swimsuit or apparently no clothes (deducing from what we can see). But it �s their matter, not mine. If the avatar is ridiculous, they are also looking ridiculous because they decided to. If you care, you should merely send a PM suggesting the member change his avatar.

Some sites ask the members to choose carefully the pic they are uploading as an avatar, because if the pic is considered inappropriate the profile may be removed. The exhibition of cartoons and artists is not allowed and before uploading you have to sign a term stating that it �s a picture of yours and you have the rights on it. And if you don �t want to show your real face, the sites usually provide general avatars.

I also consider this thread sexist or the like. I �ve seen several times people remarking other members � avatar, but it �s always about a female member. Some male members here also have inappropriate (or too suggestive, insinuating) avatars but no one seems to be bothered.

Why are you so vigilant concerning to women �s avatars?

24 Nov 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

I don �t consider this thread sexist at all... I think religion is the main issue here...I would have been disturbed just as much if it had been a priest...

24 Nov 2009     

zailda
Brazil

You may be right, the thread isn �t sexist. Let me correct my previous assessment: the whole attitude of people who keep criticizing women �s avatars here (no matter the main reason is - religion, attitude, clothes) is sexist in my opinion. Of course your opinion may differ from mine.

24 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Daer Cyn,
if you read the first thread:

My class was doing a project today with this website, and came across this avitar, please change this, it is quite OFFENSIVE!

It does not matter what religion you are-it is very disgusting, and as a teacher, very inappropriate!

I must agree with zailda.
This discussion is a lot of fuss about nothing:o( But that�s my point of view.

24 Nov 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

I don �t mind whatever the reason was to make this request... the request is still a valid one to me... Gotta go to work now, bye!

24 Nov 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >