Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > and or    

and or

miss noor
Palestine

and or

Hi,

Can u help me , please ?

Which sentence is right :

I will read a short story and a play but I do not have time for both.

or

I will read a short story or a play but I do not have time for both.

Thanks a lot,

Noor

26 Feb 2010      

missola
Palestine

Dear Noor,
I think both of them are incorrect

But you can put it in this way:

I will read a story or a paly but i may not have time for neither

This is what I think

26 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

The second sentence is the correct one.

26 Feb 2010     

missola
Palestine

I �m sorry dear Noor. I think the first one is better since you are saying you dont have time for both. Using "both" makes you use �and � in the first part of the sentence. If you used �because� instead of �but� then you can use �or�.

26 Feb 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

I think both are incorrect

I will read a short story and a play but I do not have time for both.

you are stating that you dont have time for both  and is a conjunction that it is use to join
or

Or gives a choice

So it is better to say : I will read  either a short story or a play (since) (because)  i dont have time for both.

26 Feb 2010     

missola
Palestine

I would agree with you lizsantiago, but Miss Noor is saying that she has to choose between these two sentences. That �s why I think the first one is better than the second one. what do you think?

26 Feb 2010     

missola
Palestine

I would agree with you lizsantiago, but Miss Noor is saying that she has to choose between these two sentences. That �s why I think the first one is better than the second one. what do you think?

26 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

As a native speaker, I will say that the second one is heard ALL the time! And it is grammatically correct...

Sorry ... but I think that other Natives will agree with me that the second sentence is fine...

26 Feb 2010     

missola
Palestine

Dear Zora
I won �t argue with you. I �m sure that if you are a native speaker than you know better than me.

26 Feb 2010     

kaz76
United Kingdom

I agree with Zora that the second sentence is correct.  It can �t be the first sentence because in the second part of the sentence you have stated that you don �t have time for both so you can �t read a book AND a play.

26 Feb 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would agree with Zora.

26 Feb 2010     

1    2    3    Next >