Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > About the use of L1 in worksheets    

About the use of L1 in worksheets

teachertonyinchina
China

The rules of this site are printed in black and white, did you read them when you joined?  If you don �t like them find a site that suits you.

5 Mar 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I totally understand your concern, guys... but I guess that ever since the rules were clearly stated, there �s no excuse for not following them. I wouldn �t like to see more wss with sentences in Portuguese that would be of no use for all the teachers in here or that they would have to edit.

Of course, when it happens, a pm could solve the problem, but not always. Many many times that I tried to warn users that their wss might get reported (even by me) because of being somehow not suitable to the site, I got no replies or nasty ones (The nicest one was "Are you the owner of the website to tell me what to do?").

Therefore, I somehow started to report and save myself the trouble of being cautious and receiving no answer or a harsh one - if you stop to think about, who here would have the time and the agenda to write down all the people we would have warned to see if they changed their worksheet to fit the rules?

I don �t know about everyone, but I report almost everything I found to be against the purpose of the website, but only what I feel like I should (I �ve seen many fine contributions being reported as non-ESL resources - can �t remember the last time I reported one of those). To me it would be impossible.

And once Victor stated the rule for the ws being reposted the next day if moderators reason about it and find it �s suitable, I see no problem in reporting things for the moderators to discuss it. But I most frequently report copies (not much to reason over those).

@ Aimee, I always agree with your opinion, I too share a deep sense of sharing (hmmm, what a reductant sentence)... But I beg your pardon to disagree with the watermark matter... with soooo many free clipart online, why use illegal ones!? We must think about the consequences of the company coming here and seeing those cliparts in the site (like mes-english), I don �t think we should put Victor to the trouble of having legal problems because of his website.

I guess that �s all out of me. LOL

See you guys around!!!

5 Mar 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Teachertonyinchina: I think that is not the attitude here, sorry but for me that comment is kind of rude.

I �ve been a member for 1 yaer and a half years and I know most of the changes that this site has suffered and I know what Victor has said too... and as I already said I remember him saying "as long as the L1 does not affect the total understanding of the worksheet it should not be removed"

So... for me it is unfair to delete a perfect worksheet with a line in L1 (instructions, an example or whatever)

I have voted for the removal of wss that contain L1 only if they affect the understanding of the whole wss.

Zora has provided the key words "common sense"... I also feel a bit afraid sometimes, just like Aimee

Anyway, I wish Victor can read this... I am giving him one more problem but I just hate to see worksheets deleted just because of 1 line in L1

5 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

The rules on this site are here to "help us but not break us". Things are not always black or white and some common sense mixed with fairness, should be used by everyone.

A poster with one word in L1 - should probably not be removed.
A song like "Que sera sera" should probably not be removed.
A worksheet with three words in L1, should probably not be removed if it does not affect the ESL purpose.
A worksheet with a one watermark should not be removed... 

For all the above - except the song which should be left alone - a message to the creator would be advised first. We are here to help, not judge and honestly a lot of times we are being a tad petty about things that really make no difference one way or another...

5 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Yes, Bruna, i forgot to mention that. If we send pms to everyone means we have to follow up with those users, means saving or bookmarking their pages, later on checking if anything changed. And next day it would be impossible to report them for any reason other than copies. So to me it seems next to impossible and time consuming since i look through tens of users every day.
So read the rules, guys.

5 Mar 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I think "using common sense" usually leads to grey zones. The new set of rules was made because of many situations where common sense for a person equaled friendship to another. I have read the new rules and I �ve accepted them. Now I have to respect my word. When I chose to remain on the new site some weeks ago, I chose to respect the new set of rules. 

5 Mar 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@ Yulia ... That �s why the reporting system works. If people have their worksheet removed because of something, they can just fix it and upload again, don �t see the problem.

If I hadn �t reported a ws this week, we wouldn �t have found out of a website that was taking wss from ESLp and putting them online.

Edit: At the end of the day, having a ws reported is not the end of the world, at least I don�t think so. Although I agree that we ought to be sensible.

5 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

@ Bruna. I agree with the reporting system as well as i agree with the rules.
I never look for watermarked clipart or non-english wss on purpose, but if i find them, i report them. Why should i bother and waste my time when people don �t bother and spend 5 minutes to read the rules which are SO clear?

5 Mar 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

This time I have to disagree with julieta. I think the rules now are 100% clear if we start  looking for different colors the objectivity will go overboard. Some might say is ok one line, others 2 lines, then everyone will start to vote according with what they think is fair and we will start having discussions and fights among us, havent you notice how peacefull it is now on the reporting page? i havent seen any big discussion since the new rules, no nasty comments. Besides whats the big problem when the member can fix it and upload it again?

5 Mar 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@ Yulia. Exactly!

I never look for them either... and to tell you the truth, I don �t like reporting those, mainly because I feel that the member didn �t do it on purpose, and most frequently I send a pm, only when I really don �t have the time. But it �s a risk we take, because if we don �t report them, the user may not listen to the advice, and then it stays forever, because there �s no option other than �copy � after the day of the contribution.

A bit tricky to play nice at all times, isn �t it?! After all, rules are rules.

5 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >