Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > About the use of L1 in worksheets    

About the use of L1 in worksheets

JulietaVL
Mexico

@ Yulia... that is why I asked, but now I can see that my doubt can ONLY be solved by Victor...

I have this doubt since I remember him saying that "as long as"... well you already know.

You do not see my point and I do not see yours. So, I am sending Victor a pm to ask him directly and that �s it. Thanks anyway =)

Mariethe! :)... "voulez-vous coucher avec moi ,ce soir" is the only phrase in French I have learnt :P

5 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I don �t think this is about a song with lyrics partly in another language.
(Michelle by the Beatles, for example)

It �s about activities and translations and instructions being in L1.

I make my WSs with L1, but delete the L1 when
uploading here.

There is another alternative and that is to write:
Now please translate these words into your language!

These WSs are supposed to be time-savers for all of us.
I don �t have the time to go through each and every WS
deleting activities, translations and instructions written in another language.

It is the author �s job - not the person downloading who
should delete the activities and instructions in L1.

So no problem if the song has a French passage, (and not the whole song in French)
but the rest has to be 100% in English.

L

5 Mar 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Whenever a member clicks to send a contribution this is part of what that member must read; if people don �t have the time to read, well, that is a pitty, because then, some of us have to spend our time doing Spring cleaning, even in Winter ( LOL )

Before you send your document or powerpoint, please read the rules:
  • Your contributions must be 100% in English language.

• Your contributions must be your own creations. You can use free images from cliparts or other free sources. You can also use images that you have subscribed to and paid for.

• Worksheets containing watermarked cliparts are not allowed and will be removed from now on.

• Please, don �t use pictures taken from other ESL websites or books, even if you add your own exercises.

• If you have a worksheet that you didn �t make yourself (borrowed from a colleague teacher, for example) don �t send it. It might be taken from a website or book, and your account could be banned on account of it.

• You can use texts from other websites or books in your worksheets if you add your own exercises or activities (For example, reading comprehension questions, etc). Please don �t take texts from other ESL websites or books, it would be unfair.

Obviously I think that we shouldn �t report Doris Day and " Que sera, sera", only because of one reason. The whole song is a realia, so I wouldn �t consider it has a different language, as in  the case of translations or instructions given in the native language. Wherever all around the world, this song will always be " Que sera, sera".

Have a nice weekend
linda

5 Mar 2010     

victor
Spain

Hello everybody,

I made the rules all together so that everything would be clear. Whatever I said in the forum previously should not be considered now.
We must remember that a removed worksheet is just an opportunity for the user to make the neccesary changes and upload it again. It is almost the same as if we send a PM to the user.
The only case that is considered for a possible cancellation of the user are the copied worksheets. In the rest of the cases, the user will get a friendly message suggesting him/her to make the neccesary changes and upload the contribution again.

In conclusion, contributions must be 100% in English language. Anyway, I would not report a worksheet just because the song has a line in other languages. As libertybelle says, this rule refers to activities, translations or instructions being in L1.

Have a nice weekend,

Victor

5 Mar 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Smile thanks for solving this doubt

5 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

It �s a fascinating discussion, but it also prompts a further question: whose English are we talking about? How would you deal with songs like "Auld Lang Syne � - sung all over the English-speaking world at New Year - which is written in a mixture of Scots and Scottish English? Likewise, what about rich English dialect songs like �On Ilkla Moor baht �at � which might sound like a completely foreign language to native and non-native speakers alike? Is Bob Marley �s Jamaican English, with its influences from Patois/Creole, acceptable, and if not, who decides that any �English � song contains too many non-English or non-standard English words? 

Just an idea.

5 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

Actually that �s a very interesting point almaz. What about Shakespeare �s English? Or Chaucer for that matter.

Or to go more modern, any number of rap songs contain examples of non-standard English. Plus English is constantly evolving - what someone decides is not English enough today may be standard tomorrow!

Just thought I �d add to almaz �s idea!

5 Mar 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

I fully agree with Julieta, Zora, Aimee and Mariethe.Thumbs Up

"Too many rules kill the rule" (By Mariehte)Clap

5 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4