Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Bad news...    

Bad news...

stexstme
France

Bad news...

Hello dear colleagues,
I �ve got two bad news - Can I share ???LOL
1/ I �m just back from - another!!!- staff meeting to prepare the next school year : Cry I �ve been teaching for 20 years...
I teach in a Junior High school & Special Needs Unit. Many classes will be closed down, & as a result, all my classes will be over 30 next year!!! ( except the Special Needs, of course!!!) We have been fighting - a lot!! - to have small groups in our language classes, & here we are!!! I �m so sad, upset, and angry!! The reason for closing down so many classes is financial, as you might guess. "Too many useless teachers " - if you see what I mean...We live in a very poor area, & School is the only place where children can learn, have fun, meet different people, go abroad, etc...! Our kids are between 11 and 15..Soooooo, I �ll be a very good teacher with 32 11-year-old ones...for example!

I do hope this is not the case in your countries, but I �m not that convinced...:o(((
But...I �ll keep loving this wonderful job - & the kids ( Hi ;o) Marieth� ;o)

2/ OK, let �s cheer up!!
 The second bad news is : France is playing Mexico tonight...LOLHugs from a tired teacher,
Sylvie

17 Jun 2010      

donapeter
Romania

Sylvie,
I remember when I was a kid and a student in the same time, we were over 40 in a class. We were during the communism regime and this was the situation.BUT we used to win golden medals in internationals contests (Math, English, Chemistry etc) , we used to listen to our teachers, we used to be real students. I take a look around me: my students ...they are about 20 sts in a class.....I give them printed wss with exercises (they feel they waste time writing in notebooks) , I present them interactive exercises/quizzes (the lesson should be interactive, children should be motivated etc), I talk to them as if they were made of china, they have thousands of rights......AND................and they have never won a prize , they participate to come contests only because we force them to, they have everything and they do not appreciate!!!! 
Our classes will be joined together, too, starting from sept ember. So...I know what you �re talking about.  

I am not sure I love this job!!!Angry

17 Jun 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Enemy for one day, Sylvie!

Why is it a bad new to play against Mexico? grrrrrrrrr Tongue

I am sorry that now you will have groups with more than 32 students, I know the feeling, I work with groups of 35-48 students per group and I know it is difficul, cheer up my friend

17 Jun 2010     

stexstme
France

Hey Dona & Julieta,
I �m sorry to �share bad vibes �! But I �m so upset!! Dona, I think we have the same students...
One - country or person - should take care of children, & give them FREE, High - standard EDUCATION.
My God!! When I first started teaching, I thought the first years were the worst... I was wrong : The worst is ...NOW.
( Lovely Juliet, When Mexico wins tonight, send me a hug, right ?? )
Heart

17 Jun 2010     

falafel
Tunisia

Hi Sylvie. I hope that you are fine. I �m sorry to hear that you �ll have to work with that number of pupils because it �s going to be harder but as far as I �m conserned it �s something usual to have classes of 32 pupils in Tunisia. This year for example I had 5 classes with 32 pupils each. You have to be patient . Great as you are,  I �m sure you �ll manage to deal with this situation.
As for football, I support those who play better. Good luck.

17 Jun 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

I totally second donapeter. I have the same experience from my childhood (communism, classes of 35 children....) but somehow our result were much better and enthusiasm much bigger than I can see at nowadays students. I myself have several groups of 20, the rest is about 15 and I am looking for improving my classes all the time. But lately I am getting the feeling children are more interested in everything else but studying.
Well, I believe you will find a way. But I must say I was surprised reading your thread because I was always convinced education in France is on a very high level.

And I am all for France tonight. Go France Go.Thumbs Up

17 Jun 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi dear Friend,
I know many here have huge classes, just like you ..:o( & I should not be complaining, really. But I thought we - ie : the French government - would give EDUCATION a chance... They don �t - I am not surprised... They have enough money for banks, but not for children.
I �ll never have it, nor support such a bunch of ... !!! ( You know me!!!)
As far as football is concerned, Mexico �s much better.Wink LOL
Take care!
Sylvie
edit : Well, Michaela, it seems we posted at the same time! ;o) Thx for your answer!!
edit 2 : Education used to be important here... sigh!

17 Jun 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Go France go!

Go Mexico go!

We will see, good luck Slvie!

17 Jun 2010     

donapeter
Romania

I want to add smth: I had a group of 11 sts this year - what do you think? - they missed the classes intentionally - they preferred to go for a drink or to enjoy the sun in the schoolyard (we have a gorgeous, huge, green , parkish schoolyard) - classes (not only English) were too boring for them. Poor little students!!! Oh....they were between 18 and 20 years old! 

17 Jun 2010     

stexstme
France

I know, Dona : Same here : My 15-year-old ones just do the same... We call them the �ZAP-generation � ( real French!!LOL)
Now, I feel great with friends like you!! Thx, mates!!Heart 
I �m grateful to this wonderful site : Loads of great ws to save our precious time!
I �m off : We �re having a football party here : Tissues not far!!!LOL
Gros bisous � tous!Hug

17 Jun 2010     

libertybelle
United States

In reality - it should be the parents who are angry.
It �s their children - and until they get off their butts and protest -
politicians are just going to keep making the same stupid decisions and
cut-backs as they always have.
Save on education -children and old people.

But will the politicians agree to a pay cut?
I don �t think so.
Sad but true.
L

17 Jun 2010     

1    2    3    4    Next >