Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just to nag a little    

Just to nag a little

magneto
Greece

Just to nag a little

Sick and tired of hearing about the World Cup...Sick and tired of everyone watching the World Cup all the time...Everything �s going to hell and people are still obsessing about the World Cup...As if our national teams winning a game or the World Cup will save the people from all their troubles...Opium for the masses...Panem et circenses (see reference: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panem_et_circenses)
Sorry about this message. I don �t mean to offend anyone. I just don �t understand...and I �m angry - not with any of you ESLP members, just generally angry.
P.S.: Victor, feel free to remove this post if you feel it may cause trouble in the forum...I just needed to express how I feel.

22 Jun 2010      

izulia
China

I am with you on this magneto. I do understand that when people play and watch sports they do not fight and that it helps to bring people together, etc, etc...  But personally I am just not into football and don �t get all the fuss about it... Sorry if this offends anybody...

22 Jun 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

magneto, when do your holidays begin? I feel you really deserve them....
big, big hug from Germany (where I drove to work at freezing 9 degrees (!!!) this morning and where many people have turned their heatings on again in mid-June ...)

22 Jun 2010     

perma
Greece

lessons have actually finished for most of us here in Greece and holidays are just around the corner, but this doesn �t change the fact that everything �s falling to pieces LOL

22 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

Lessons are over...Just a couple of days left at school for all the paperwork. What I really need is a looooooong holiday "in a galaxy far-far away" (to quote Star Wars) until the whole mess is over...and I don �t see that happening any time soon.
So the holidays are good and they may cheer us up a little, but they do not solve the problem...Not to mention the fact that, usually, all the worst government decisions are made during the holidays...So that most of us will not be informed on time to react...I don �t know if that �s true of other countries, but it �s definitely true of Greece! Angry
P.S.:...9 degrees?! The weather is going nuts!

22 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I soooooooooooooo understand what you mean, magneto. It does seem so frivolous and mind-boggling... And the most depressing fact is that you can �t really do much about that or the problems you talked about... But there �s a season for everything. It may seem silly, but I do believe it - after the rain, there will be sunny days, and I don �t mean just literally, but metaphorically, too. Call me silly or naive, but I do believe it.
 And, Dorothea, same weather here... And I was looking forward to my spring baby and our walks - since April till now I believe we �ve had maybe 7-8 walks in clear weather... I �m sitting here with double socks, complete deep autumn clothes and thinking about turning the heater back on...

22 Jun 2010     

yolprica
Spain

Come to Spain, the weather is great; 26 degrees just now and it really makes you see the bright side of things. We all need our summer break although it is not good to have too much time to think about the way things are going in our country and others near us.
Hugs from Spain
Yolanda

22 Jun 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

for once i do watch the world cup... i �m no football fan, far from it in fact, but there are many interesting documentaries on South Africa so i �m glad it takes place there! and I hope this world cup will bring a little peace and wealth to this country! (it doesn �t hurt to hope, right?)
as far as football is concerned, i �m ashamed of my country - not just the way the team plays, but the way the players behave, the way our government behave. I know what �s happening in Greece, and believe me the grass is not greener here... with the flood in the south of France...
but I think for most people watching the world cup is like forgetting for a little while their everyday problems... and what �s wrong with that?
but I understand why you might be upset!
have a nice evening, here it �s a little warmer and sunnier today (yesterday it was so cold that I turned the heaters back on... it sure is a crazy weather!!!)
take care

22 Jun 2010     

magneto
Greece

Oh, no, Anita...You �re not silly or naive. You �re just optimistic and - clearly - a believer (not necessarily in the religious sense of the word). I wish I could be like that myself...But I can �t - it �s what happens to people who cannot believe in anything, no matter how hard they try...Still trying to convince myself that things will get better, though
We shall overcome...I think...
Edit: Sorry, Yolanda and Elodie. I just saw your posts...We were typing at the same time, apparentlySmile. Don�t think I�m ignoring you...No, nothing wrong with people trying to forget...But, at least here, that�s all people seem to be doing - and not just during the World Cup; they�re always looking for excuses to forget...And closing your eyes doesn�t make the problem go away, does it? That�s why I�m angry...Sorry to bring all my pessimism in the forum...Hope it won�t rub off on you!

22 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I understand what you mean , here the situation is not easy, though at the moment everyone is out in the street , celebrating the match that has just finished against Mexico ... I understand it here, though, as this is  and has always been a traditionally "football country", and most of them are crazy about that sport. And yes, while they worry about the match, they forget about the rest, even if it �s for some weeks ...
I don �t agree with all the fuss - come on, it �s just football ! - but I do understand the fans !
This morning I had 3 students in a 22 students � group and 5 in the other one ... see ? Even parents don �t send the kids to school when Uruguay plays because they too consider it sooo important ! Take it easy, magneto, sadly, as Anita says, we can �t do much about the government �s decisions ... as bad as they may be. A big hug to all .

22 Jun 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

I couldn �t agree more with you alicia!
A warm hug magnetoHug

22 Jun 2010     

1    2    3    4    Next >