Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Worksheets on pop songs    

Worksheets on pop songs

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Cris... Don �t expect me to pity you!! LOL I guess we �re all in the same boat, huh? ;))))

8 Aug 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Pitty....oh no...Drugs!!! Medicine isn �t that advanced to cure me!!!

8 Aug 2010     

mena22
Portugal

Hi everybody!

It �s interesting that you bring up this issue Dorothea, because this morning when I was going through the worksheets that will be available tomorrow I came across one that fits the criteria - a listening activity in which the only task the students had to do was to fill in some blank spaces while listening to a song. I didn �t even think of reporting it, of course, but I thought of sending the member a pm kindly asking if he could create some listening comprehension tasks instead of the gap filling in order to develop the students listening skills, which is, or should be,  the main aim of a listening activity. Then I decided not to send the pm because I realized I couldn �t send a pm to all members that upoload this kind of exercise. That �s why I think your post addresses an important issue and may be very helpful since it may help to clarify some ideas.

When we do a filling in the gap exercise while listening to a song or any other type of text, we are not really developing our students � listening skills. The only thing we can see with such an exercise is if the students understand isolated words, not necessarily their meaning, and write them down. (They don �t even have to understand the song, what it means, the message conveyed by it... anything at all.) Besides, if we give the lyrics to them to fill in a few blank spaces, then we can �t do any other listening exercises, because, as they have the text now, we would be developing their reading skills, not their listening skills. So, I would say that such an exercise - gap filling - is appropriate to introduce something ( a cultural topic, a grammar topic...), to practise a verb tense, for example, or to finish a lesson, but not really to develop the students � listening skills.

If we want to do that, we should create different exercises, with a growing level of complexity according to the students � level of proficiency,  to see if they understood the song -  who it is addressed to, its meaning, the messgage, the author �s intention, the author �s state of mind, his/her attitude to the subject matter being focused, the tone... -  exercises, which make the students think about what they have been listening to and make them interact with the text to complete the  tasks, and not simply to make them understand sounds and convert them into words.

I �m open to hear other members � opinions on this.

Have a nice day,
mena

8 Aug 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

WONDERFUL POST; MENA; THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!

8 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Mena, even if I agree with you to the fullest, what do you suggest should be done with such contributions and where should the line be drawn? There are so many Christmas songs here that do the very same as the contributions discussed and nobody ever minded them.

My listenings never contain any "listen-and-fill-the-blank" exercises, but people may not be able to do much more with their audience, sorry, students, we don �t know the circumstances under which some members here "teach."

I have taught engineers, managers, children, senior citizens, pretty much everything that wants to, has to, should learn English, for whatever reason. I have taught customer-preference-oriented (stupid expression!) classes, thousands of hours � worth and I know that sometimes we simply have to give them what they want, not necesarily what they need. I have been in situations where the students just had to eat it and I have been in situations where I just had to eat it....

I would be the first one to vote for a minimum content rule, but, as said before, we are all different.

There is one important thing that the people who have enjoyed wonderful training and preparation for their job must not overlook: some people here have to learn by doing it, they are learning along with their students. I think you know what I mean.

Regards

EDIT: I once designed a 3-hour listening exercise for a customer in the automotive industry. It was based on a 5-minute video. One exercise was one where the vowels were missing in certain technology-related terms, they had to find the vowels ahead of time and then listen in order to compare, I guess that is as close as my listenings have come to fill-the-blank, and I have  to say, back then it was good and did the trick...

8 Aug 2010     

mena22
Portugal

Hi dear regina! I �m afraid you misunderstood me. It never crossed my mind to make a rule against uploading filling in the blank worksheets. That was not my intention.

I simply wanted to make clear the aim of a listening activity,  which tasks better match it and those which don �t. By doing so, I was hoping that some members would try to create listening comprehension tasks in their next worksheets on songs. That �s all. I mean, that �s also what this site is for, isn �t it? We are all here to learn from each other. I know I do. Every day.
Hugs,

mena

8 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi Mena,

I know it was your intention to teach people between the lines. I am not sure, though, if this thread will reach the target audience. It is, after all, a thread that talks about a ban of contributions that do not meet expectations. People who upload ws like that may simply not be able to do more right now, as Topolina suggested.

Any volunteers for a tutorial? Dorothea?

Regards

8 Aug 2010     

mena22
Portugal

The point is I believe every member can do it, I mean, I know they can do it. It may not be a perfect worksheet at first, but if they have a model and get a little support from other members ( a comment may be enough) I �m sure their 4th or 5th worksheet will be great. After all, a text is a text, whether oral or written. Creating a listening comprehension worksheet is very much like creating a reading one. But to do that, we must be aware of the aim of a listening activity and, consequentely, how to develop students � listening skills.

A post is just a post, so you �re probably right - most members won �t read it. Maybe I �ll send the link next time I see a worksheet like that and find it appropriate, of course.

Hugs,
mena

8 Aug 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

thebestsongs, I can �t remember having criticized you.
I in fact I think I have never consciously come across you and have never heard or seen your avatar or name.

I believe sb else mentioned your name earlier in this thread and when I read it I thought it was a website or something ...

The remarks I made did not refer to any special member but were general. 
I am not a moderator (any more, thank God), true. But does that mean I �m not allowed to make suggestions?

P. S. Will look you up now ;-)

8 Aug 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

OK thebestsongs, I did look you up.
I have no idea why you feel I was talking about you.
In my initial post I talked about people who copy and paste a song and just replace a couple of words by blanks - and add no other tasks to their songs.
Your worksheets are full of tasks and the opposite of what I was talking about - so what �s the hassle?? Having a bad hair day???

8 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >