Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Worksheets on pop songs    

Worksheets on pop songs

lshorton99
China

I think it depends on the context with song worksheets - I agree that generally I �d prefer something more complete than a few words gapped out.

However, if I �m teaching a low level class and I want a five minute filler or end of class activity then a song with a few words gapped out is perfect. I �ve just made one to �Fighter � for extra comparative practice (don �t worry - having read this topic I won �t be uploading it!) which just consists of writing 4 opposite adjectives, six gapped words and writing 3 comparatives at the end. Is it a complex worksheet with tasks to encourage listening skills and teach students about the meaning of the song? No. Will it work as a fun end-of-class activity? Yes.

With a high level class, I might prefer something different or use songs differently. I once did a lesson based entirely around songs which ended up with students writing their own song lyrics as well as choosing favourite songs based on lyrics first before actually hearing the music. You �d be surprised how many liked heavy metal lyrics and were shocked to actually hear the song! (The idea for the lesson came from �Music and Song � by Tim Murphy - I highly recommend it to anyone interesting in using music and song more creatively than just gapping texts in the classroom!)

I guess the point I �m making is that there �s a place in the classroom for everything. People here provide materials which everyone is free to use, or not, according to personal taste. I don �t think that any worksheet with a task, however small, can be judged to be unsuitable for the site. Generally, the worksheets with little to no task don �t get downloaded. If a worksheet has been downloaded then it must be useful to someone!

Lindsey

8 Aug 2010     

thebestsongs
Brazil

Forget about it. It was just a misunderstanding.... I �m really sorry. I beg your pardon.
The best songs.

8 Aug 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

My students love songs and They feel so enthusiatic when they can listen to the words and complete, on the other hand the work with the song can include others tasks even to teach Grammar, put the sentences in other. I think this is not  a big deal, each one knows what want so there�s no reason to ban something that at least some tecahers use in this website.

Hugs!Smile

8 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4