Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Seeking help again    

Seeking help again

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

Seeking help again

Hi dear friends, 
     today i am asking for help because on tuesday, i will start my first day at work.     after 11 years giving classes to kids 10yrs old and up, i will start my first day with a new challenge by giving classes to smaller kids. i will have 5 groups, but the only one i am worry is the kindergarten. these students have already started school and my problem is that i dont know what to do  that very first day. what activities to present, since i dont have the books they are going to use. i dont even know how to present myself. the class is 30 minutes, thank god!!!  i am going crazy i feel like i dont have the skills to do this, i am not a singer, i dont know how to do crafts for kids, i dont know how to even make a finger puppet!!!!! please if there are any elementary teachers who can give me some advice i will appreciate it sooooo much.

15 Aug 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

You could prepare nametag templates of different colours. One by one, ask the students to come to the board and give you the colour of their choice. When they come to the board you can say "Hi, my name is Liz, what is your name?" Then you point to the colours and say "which one do you like/want?" Point to the colours and name them. 
Once every one has a tag, ask them to write their name on it and decorate. 

I �ll send you a pm. 

edit: By the way, for crafting with preschoolers this website has a lot of things: http://www.first-school.ws/INDEX.HTM

15 Aug 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Hi! I teach 5/6-year-old children and I always start with "My name is... what �s your name" then I use a hand puppet or a finger puppet to act the presentation after that I sing one of the many songs with this topic.
Dear Liz I really have got a lot of stuff, songs as well, tomorrow I �ll send you some paper finger puppet templates and one or two songs, if you give me permission of using your private e-mail.
See you tomorrow.
Ciao.Thumbs Up

15 Aug 2010     

omfp
Portugal

Hello Liz!

If I were you, I would use a stuffed puppet. Instead of introducing yourself, the puppet would do it for you, and it (you) would ask the children to introduce themselves. It would be very funny if you could change your tone of voice. They will love it. Children also love to say the words very loud and then very low.
Personally, on the first day I would talk about the rules and sign an agreement with them. 

I hope I could help you. Good luck Thumbs Up!

15 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Good Luck Liz!
No real help, just wishing you luck!

16 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi, Liz!

Please, check these old forum threads:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=3825

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=1518

Good luck � Silke

16 Aug 2010     

Cristina Ann
United States

I know you �ll do great!  You don �t have to be a good singer.  Kids that age wouldn �t know good singing from bad, but song helps them remember vocabulary with such ease.  And they �ll be singing and practicing the vocabulary at home just because the songs are so fun to sing, especially if you put actions in it. 

I would start the first day talking in their native tongue, even going over the rules and then asking them if they were ready to speak English.  Have the students stand up, and turn around as you waive a magic wand and say "1,2,3 now we are speaking English."   And then only speak in English.  The key is to constantly be changing activities.  When you see them getting wrestless, have them stand up and jump in place. You could even count as they do it.  Then walk, run, fly, etc  in place.  Touch your nose, Touch your toes, etc. 

I even have them practice standing up and sitting down, first with gestures, and then with out the gestures, and try to see if I can "trick" them.    When you are ready to go back to Spanish, have them stand again, and say �1,2,3 ahora hablamos espa�ol."  Then you can praise them all you want in Spanish.  You are so creative, I know your classes are going to be awesome!  Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

16 Aug 2010     

Kohaku
Japan

I teach this age as well. I don �t however feel comfortable with puppets so I don �t use them. My 3 year olds get a kick out of it at times. However, I just don �t feel that my 5-6 year olds would appreciate the baby approach. Many of them feel like they are bigger than that now and want to play games and do more hands on activities.

If you would really like to incorporate puppetry I would suggest you allowing the kids to pick and color their own finger puppet characters. My students enjoy crafts and this allows them to feel independent and creative. They can name their character and tell you about them.

In my opinion this age is more interested in hand clapping games. I make up my own sometimes with the days of the week or whats my your name. You can maybe incorporate this type of activity later.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIKkKwChZZ0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXJsX7T8fYM

I love this channel for songs and stories. http://www.youtube.com/user/CullensAbcs?feature=chclk#p/a

I also use this website for making crafts. It has a large variety ready to print.
http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/mcat.html

I wish you the best of luck for your 1st day. When I have my class of 5-6 year olds for 1 hour they really enjoy the class. They grow quickly at this age so just be ready to adapt every lesson to their change in attitude. My precious 4 year olds are now different at 5 years old. Now that they are 5 1/2 I have to change my plan more often.

16 Aug 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Hello Liz,�

my youngest pupils are 8 years old. I always emphasize introducing ourselves and building a friendly cooperative atmosphere and good relationships in the first lesson, because I think the kids are more interested in you as their new teacher and how it is going to be than in English itself (or any other subject). I always start saying a few things about myself (I use my mother tongue, no problem) and I want the kids to do the same. They love talking about themselvesWink This takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes, my classes last for 45 minutes and in this very first class I really don �t care about time spent on this introducing. Then I ask them to make name tags that they will use for our next classes, partially because they need to be given something to do and partially because it �s a headache for me to remember their names. Believe me, such a� lesson has always been a success (without any preparation) and 45 minutes run more than smoothly

greetings, Mish

16 Aug 2010     

ellakass
Israel

Hello, Liz!
I teach little kids for many years. Usually I use marionette, the kids like to answer the questions as if they answer to the marionette,they listen to it and repeat the words after it.
It usually works. Good luck!
Elvira

16 Aug 2010     

ditku
Poland

Hello Liz!

First of all, I would like to thank you for your website, which I find truly helpful. It �s admirable that you find time for coming up with the new ideas and sharing them online.

Regarding your question, I basically agree with everyone here (even Frank ;) ), however, in my opinion, Kohaku raised a crucial issue. Namely, the psycho-motor development that takes place via the manual practice (crafts). I believe that drawing, painting, colouring etc. can help a great deal in:
- the development of children �s imagination
- the development of children �s tiny hands, which are not used to holding a heavy pen (drawing would exercise their wrists and fingers).
And most importantly, it �s enjoyable!

Hope it helped!

16 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >