Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day 21.11.10    

Word of the day 21.11.10

crisholm
Spain

Word of the day 21.11.10

I �ve discovered I �m the lucky winner of the �word of the day � contest, much to my surprise. I apologise about the delay - I was away for the weekend.
So it �s my turn to post a new word. And since it is Sunday the 21st of November, with a full moon, the word is...
SCREELPOKER
I do not know if I have to give any hints, but Dvorak might be a clue ; the moon is a bit far-fetched, I �m afraid; you can �t really see it at noon.

21 Nov 2010      

magneto
Greece

Screaming eel playing poker?Wacko

21 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

close, my dear magneto, close but not quite.. You seem to be trying to make fun of a very serious issue. A little irresponsible I would say. Screaming eels are no laughing matter!
Screaming eels are known to attack anything getting into their waters, especially towards dusk. A screelpoker is a prodding instrument (poker - to poke) to test the waters for the presence of screaming eels, before you enter for an evening swim. My advice, if you forgot your screelpoker, don �t go in!!!

(Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies ever!)

21 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Well, there �s a Screel Hill in Scotland, so a screelpoker must be a person hiking there with a walking stick, poking all the holes searching for rabbits or badgers.

21 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Sounds like a misspelled sleepwalker if the full moon was mentioned. So someone cast a wrong spell on a sleepwalker, hence the screelpoker.

Or some torchure instrument screeching wheel with pokersShocked Horrors!
Sophia

21 Nov 2010     

crisholm
Spain

It isn �t so sinister, the poking might be a figure of speech.
Actually, it �s a phase we �ve all been through.

21 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Oh, no, Crisholm...You �re not supposed to give us cluesShocked

LOL

21 Nov 2010     

crisholm
Spain

Sorry. I wasn �t really trying to be helpful.

21 Nov 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

I was going to say screaming cat playing poker. But, this is not my official guess! This is just my observation.

21 Nov 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

A screelpoker is a slang term for a cat meowing a mournful, off-key tune on a fence at 2 am. Like Garfield and his midnight shows on the fence with his girlfriend, Arlene. And he has to duck as boots and alarm clocks come flying towards him from all directions...

21 Nov 2010     

crisholm
Spain

Some of you are getting closer... I like smoked eels, though!

21 Nov 2010     

1    2    3    Next >