Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Funny Sayings ...    

Funny Sayings ...

Zora
Canada

Funny Sayings ...

The other day when Yolanda asked for some help regarding a popular saying; I remembered a few other ones from my childhood. Although, these sayings didn �t have anything to do with her question, so I thought I �d wait till the weekend was over to post a new thread.

I fondly remember my grandmother saying, "little piggies have big ears" when my one cousin was snooping around and listening to of everyone �s conversation. Or my mother saying, "it went over his head and under his knees" when someone just didn �t understand something. Also, my personal favorite� Which I tend to use when I �m talking about my big, beautiful, but not too bright Persian cat - "no one said he was the brightest bulb on the tree, but he �s the prettiest�"

Now, I am sure many of you can see that these are variations on popular sayings� Or just downright made-up sayings!

Does anyone else have any funny sayings like these that they like to share with the rest of us? Smile

hugs,
Linda

13 Dec 2010      

colibrita
United Kingdom

Nice thread Linda. Off the top of my head the only one I can think of right now is actually a Spanish expression. Hubby uses it ALL the time, mostly for queues. "Es m�s lento que el caballo del malo" - "he/she�s slower than the bad guy �s  horse(or the baddy �s horse), you know, like in the movies. I love it.

Hugs

Colibrita

13 Dec 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Another Spanish saying, typical of my mom : " He / She �s stranger than a vest �s sleeves " - when a person acts weird or has strange reactions, not what �s expected from a "normal" person. I don �t know if there �s sth like that in English ...
And when a kid is really naughty and makes a mess wherever he/ she is : " He / She �s more dangerous than a monkey holding a gun "!

13 Dec 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi my dear Zora

( sorry, missing my pm answer, I �m sure you �ll understand )
Now, a short break, back to classes, in a while )

My father and my mother were very, very different. They had two different sayings, when refering to work, jobs, tasks...
My father always said:
If it deserves to be done, do it well.

My mother says, referring to her own work
No time to do it, so I gave it one brush and promised another.

I find these two brilliant and they show exactly how different they are/were.

My half penny ( crisis is around, no more pennies )

Hugs, dear aunt Zora  ( my smiles have gone, I wanted a winky , sorry )

The first step to get old is becoming an aunt, next you are old, cause you are no more the Mrs X you used to be, you turn out to be someone �s mother. The last step is mine. I turned to be Rui �s grandmother - LOL

Happy Christmas to you all
Linda

Linda

13 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Great reading Zora!

When we wanted to do the same thing as all the other kids, and my mom thought it was a stupid thing to do - she �d say:

If everyone jumped off a bridge - would you do that too?

and if she was in a really bad mood- she �d say:
Where were you when the brains were passed out?
(I �d answer - behind the barn door!!) Big smile

and last but not least - the great Agatha Christie often wrote:

Sins cast long shadows.

13 Dec 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I didn �t know about the sins... very intelligent, LB. The ones about the bridge and the brains are very common here, too!

13 Dec 2010     

Zora
Canada

lol! The trains one was (is) still quite common for me too. We like to say, "When they were handing out brains, he thought they said "trains, and replied that he had one already!" LOL

PS: my dear Linda (the other one) - I totally understand and as you know, I am "feeling old" and hoping that things calm down on my end. Wink

13 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

This is my own take on an old proverb: "Variety is the spice of life, but too much of it gives you indigestion."

And I bet Roney �s got a million of them...

13 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

But - my favorite is:

Where ever you go..................There you are!!!!

13 Dec 2010     

HollyHirst
United Kingdom

My family has a few strange English ones...

The lights are on but there �s nobody home... (the person is a bit spaced out...they look awake but there �s no brain working in there!)

It �s better than getting a slap in the face with a wet kipper (that �s true about a heck of a lot of life experiences).

A common one and my mum �s favourite (used when you left the door open when coming into the room) - Were you born in a barn?

And my favourite is probably my mum �s own personal and irate phrase when I asked her to help me look for something and she found it really quickly �What? Did you expect it to say hello or something? �

;)

13 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

One that I�ve often heard when someone helps you find something and is was in plain sight; If it had been a dog it wouda bit you.

13 Dec 2010     

1    2    3    4    Next >