Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > unfaithful    

unfaithful

abba
Spain

unfaithful

Good night, today we were dealing with �love expressions � and my students asked me for the opposite ones, then �cheat on sb � and �be unfaithful � were the ones that came to my mind, but I was wondering about the slang ones. maybe, native speakers could give me a hand. Thanks :))

14 Feb 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Good evening Abba!

hope this helps.

P.S - Just a word of advice Abba, from someone older lol..... careful with the slang. Kids tend to misunderstand the purpose of the lesson.

14 Feb 2012     

abba
Spain

You �re right lol... the worst is that sometimes the information gets home distorted and a simple situation turns into a terible problem with lots of explanatins, you know. Godd night

14 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

not a native speaker, yet willing to share a few ideas and then we �ll see what the natives will say:)

to dump -  dump somebody (informalto end a romantic relationship with somebody
to fool around with smb - to have a sexual relationship with another person �s partner; to have a sexual relationship with somebody who is not your partner (syn. to mess around)

Sophia 

14 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

I don �t think anyone has spoken the word "cuckold" in the last 50 years. It is definitely a legitimate English word, but not used these days.

to hook up - to have a sexual encounter, often just after meeting the person.

Bruce

14 Feb 2012     

libertybelle
United States

To be unfaithful
Two-timing someone
Playing around.

But I agree about slang.  We �re here to teach English, not slang.
Let them find their own slang words.
If they want to get a job in an English speaking language
the last thing they need it to be confused about between English and slang.

14 Feb 2012     

paugyg
Argentina

@Yanogator... if you watch the movie Crazy Stupid Love, you �ll hear the word cuckold at least a dozen times! It �s a great current movie.
@Libertybelle, In my honest opinion, slang IS language, slang IS English language.Slang is just as an important part of teaching a language as any other, as long as we as teachers take care of how we teach it. I don �t have a problem with teaching slang in the classroom, slang does not equal "bad" language, it �s just everyday current language. Just a thought... And if students are interested in this aspect of language, then we should take advantage of that motivation to learn! Just as long you are careful how you present the language items and how you teach them. And you can always teach it in comparison with the more formal language. 

Now, on the topic of the poster, I read somewhere that "creeping" means to sneak around with someone other than your boyfriend/girlfriend. 

14 Feb 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

These might be useful too:

break up = split up with sb

fall out with sb (have an argument and split up with sb)

end a relationship with sb

15 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Paugyg, I �m very surprised to learn that.

Bruce

15 Feb 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

Although I �m not to totally averse to teaching a choice selection of common slang words, I do think this should only be done when students already have enough basic English skills as you don �t want a bunch of elementary students walking around the school or playground using often offensive words inappropriately just to show off.

I agree with LB that they should find out most of it themselves. If they do, we may need to guide and correct them.

I also agree with Bruce. Unless you want to resurrect an almost defunct word like cuckold, I wouldn �t teach this in the classroom. Expressions like two-timing someone, cheating and playing (or sleeping) around are much more common.

BTW, I associate cuckold with a not-so-young husband whose wife plays away from home.

Edit:
In some cases students end up knowing only slang or rude words for something. I had an 18-year old girl once who only knew the rather vulgar word fCensoredck to describe physical love Thumbs Down. I think in these cases it is useful to teach some more appropriate vocabulary such as have sex, go to bed with someone, sleep with someone, make love etc. and make students aware of the differences. Thumbs Up
Note that pop culture can influence English vocabulary. Remember Lady Gaga�s song Love Games in which she sings I wanna to take a ride on your disco stick? You�d better be prepared to deal with this should your class ask for clarification... Pig

15 Feb 2012     

paugyg
Argentina

I �m not claiming that we should teach slang always or in whatever context. I was only trying to make a point regarding LB �s remark that SS should not confuse English with slang, while in fact, slang IS language. And as I said before, it can perfectly be taught within an appropriate context, with a careful selection of items and with a lot of preparation on the part of the teacher to deal with concepts like the one you quoted from Lady Gaga �s song. I �m not in favor of teaching slang for the sake of it, it has to be taught within an appropriate pedagogical context, with students at the right level and with enough comand of the language as to understand the difference between informal and formal uses of language. My point is, and forgive me if I �m redudant, that slang is part of the language, and is not necessarily "bad" language. In my opinion, there is no such thing as "bad" words or "bad" language. It �s all language! We simply need to know in which contexts it �s appropriate to use it. 
A great writer from my country, Roberto Fontanorrosa, made a case about "bad words" in a Language Congress. I �m going to try and find his speech so you can better understand what �s the point I �m trying to make.

I guess it all comes down to different perspectives on the nature of language...

15 Feb 2012     

1    2    3    Next >