Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > " ŋ" and "n"    

" ŋ" and "n"

mari_18cf
Brazil

" ŋ" and "n"

Can anyone help me with the difference between this phonetic sound " ŋ" and "n". I have watched 3 videos and I can �t notice the diference in pronunciation.

14 Jul 2012      

yanogator
United States

Based on the TINY bit that I know about Portuguese, if you said "sim" in Portuguese, it would sound like the English word "sing", which ends in the ŋ sound.
Or I could be totally wrong about this.
Bruce

14 Jul 2012     

Izadeabreu
Brazil

Hey Mari

Iza

14 Jul 2012     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Hey Iza, I �ve already checked this!!

14 Jul 2012     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Hey  yanogator, I dont know if it �s the same sound!

14 Jul 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

THE " ŋ"is ng( velar nasal consonant)

14 Jul 2012     

maryse pey�
France

They are not the same sound :
the 1st one is for the final -ing of a word whereas "n" is for the consonant "n".

To summarize, for the 1st phonetic sound the letter "n" must be followed by the letter "g".

Hope this will help.

14 Jul 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

"ŋ" you can find  in all gerunds - working, sleeping, watching, sitting, smiling, teaching

"ŋ": sing, song, tong, long, king, gang, hung, pong, ring, wing, bring, along, sting, young, strong, oblong, penang, hang, sprung, belong, ...

"n" followed by
"ŋ"  in: cleaning /kli:niŋ/, running, shining, grinning ...

"ŋ" followed by "ŋ" in: hanging, belonging, longing, singing, clinging...

Please note that these words - ("minimal pairs") DO NOT sound same:

sin x sing,
sun x sung, son x song, ton x tong, ton x tongue, tan x tang, tin x ting, thin x thing, kin x king, ran x rang, win x wing,  fan x fang, gone x gong, gen x gang, pin x ping, don x dong, ban x bang, hun x hung, clan x clang, din x ding, Don x dong, baron x barong, sinner x singer...

Don �t add an extra sound at the end when pronouncing bang, because it should NOT sound like bank with a "k" sound at the end - more examples:
bank x bang, think x thing, rink x ring, sink x sing, wink x wing, pink x ping, tank x tang, rank x rang, stink x sting, brink x bring...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0leLr_fO4XE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NduCJKb4iR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1th5v7dXRjk

14 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I beg to differ Maryse, not always "n" has to be followed by g to form that nasal sound, e. g. in "drank" the "n" is nasal. The "n" sound is formed with the tip of your tongue pressing against the alveoli behind the upper teeth, whereas the nasal "n" is formed with the middle of your tongue touching the soft upper palate.

Edit: btw that�s exactly what the lady in the video is saying so why you can�t get it, Mariana, she is really explaining in all details, I don�t think anyone else would do it better.

@Nika: you�re wrong about think and thing, etc. beeing pronounced with a different "n" sound - the "n" in those pairs of words is nasal.

Sophia

14 Jul 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

In my opinion, -N-  in -NK and -NG is nasal in both cases, but the word endings sound different - nk≠ng
The whole word BANK IS NOT pronounced as BANG

As Sophia pointed out, it is important NOT to pronounce G at the end, because it would sound more like K (as in "bank"). These words are not pronounced same, they are not homophones:

bank x bang, think x thing, rink x ring, sink x sing, wink x wing, pink x ping, tank x tang, rank x rang, stink x sting, brink x bring

14 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The difference here is NOT between the nasal "n" sounds in those words but the different vowel sounds which in the position before "nk" are pronounced differently (softer I �d say) but come the same in the transcription, plus a consonant "k" sound at the end.
You can see it explained by the same lady btw  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqW6NZmRzYI 

BTW in American slang the "ing" is often pronounce as a regular "n" sound :)

Sophia

Edit: Found another video where all those cases of pronunciation are contrasted 

@Mariana: is there a soft "n" in Portuguese (�)? If there is, you can pronounce "ng" just like that soft "n" in your language.

14 Jul 2012     

1    2    3    Next >