Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Daffynition contest Week of 6/17     

Daffynition contest Week of 6/17

redcamarocruiser
United States

Daffynition contest Week of 6/17

Thank you Martina for choosing my definition of lackadaisical, which actually means, "lacking enthusiasm and determination; carelessly lazy."    Example: �a lackadaisical defense left the Spurs adrift in the second half� " (from google.com search).

Well all of you, I hope you are starting this georgious week off well and rested for the tasks and pleasures it will bring. 
Now, I hope you are not feeling lackadaisical  and will try your hand at creating a nonsensical daffynition for the new Word of the Day:  
 Seplasiary 

I hope it is not a cognate in any of the languages you know. If linguee.com is representative, it is not a common word in many languages, so feel free to define it for yourself or posterity. 

Wishing you all a relaxing week  and lots of fun wherever your journey takes you!!!

images from pixabay.com

17 Jun 2019      

spinney
United Kingdom

Well, well, well! Talk about rubbing our noses in it.
Seplasiary is an adjective connected to gloating, particularly after a significant victory or if one achieves something that somebody else cannot do.
So, for example, "Mary posted two seplasiary photos when the others on the forum said they had trouble uploading just one."  

17 Jun 2019     

jfaraujo
Portugal

"Seplasiary" is an adjective to describe idiotic people like me, who can�t think of a proper daffynition after seeing Dale�s! 

17 Jun 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Dale,I just got lucky with the images. Sometimes I have trouble posting pictures, too. 😊 Jfaraujo, your entry is funny! 😊Thank you both for posting. 😊 🏖I�m just chillin� and relaxing at the beach with you all. Glad you stopped by! 🥗 Anyone want some salad? (I brought lots 😁). 🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗🥗❤💕❤💕❤💕

17 Jun 2019     

karagozian
France

Seplasari is exactly what our dear old Dale used to be.

https://youtu.be/CEJLweNQEEw

18 Jun 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Looking hot, Dale! 

18 Jun 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Seplasiary stems from a group of euphonius words, such as: serendipitous, harmonious, sibillant, soporific and indeed euphonius itself. Words which roll beautifully off the tongue. What does it mean? I think Mary has given some massive clues here! It�s how you feel when you are out on deck, you have the best spot and the best sunbed, the waiter serves you your cocktail - with a bowl of crisps and nuts! -  your partner* massages your shoulders, you get handed the evening�s menu and all your favourites are on it... What am I doing here, when I could be on a cruise, feeling very seplasiary about life? 
Edit: *or somebody who looks like Dale in that clip... LOL

18 Jun 2019     

karagozian
France

@Lynne : Not looking just IS our Dale !

18 Jun 2019     

spinney
United Kingdom

Seplasiary is actually a corruption of Splashiary which is what happens when Dale tries to emulate the video that Monique posted. 

18 Jun 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Monique, that vid is real eye candy! 😎😃😉😁🥰🏖 Whoa, Dale! Your vid is powerful! 😧 Here is some salad for for vid star. 🥗🥗🥗 Take a load off and join me on the beach. 🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖 Plenty of umbrellas to go around 😁 Lynne, thank you for the pretty sounding words. I confess it was very relaxing to look them up while lounging under my beach umbrella. 🏖🥗😸 Dear friends, there are still some choice spots left, which I�m saving for you. 🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖 By the way does anyone want to adopt a cat? 😸😸😸😸😸😸😸😸😸😸😸

18 Jun 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

the meaning is in line with the uploaded piccies! This word comes from the expression: 
C�est un plaisir! It�s the English version for the same french meaning... 

18 Jun 2019     

1    2    3    Next >