Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WHAT DOES YOUR NAME MEAN?    

WHAT DOES YOUR NAME MEAN?

svetamarik Svetlana
Russian Federation

WHAT DOES YOUR NAME MEAN?

Dear friends! Yesterday we �spoke about our avatars and the personalities behind them. It was so amazing! �Let �s discuss the meaning of our names today! Do you know the origin of your name and its meaning? I �d really like to know it.�

My name is SVETLANA . It is of Russian and Slavic origin, and its meaning is "light". Svetlana is a common Russian female name, deriving from the Russian word for "light", "clean" or "holy". In Russian Orthodox Church Svetlana is used as Russian translated name as Saint Photina (meaning "enlighted" in Greek,
Etymologically, the most similar name to this is Lucia (of Latin word origin, meaning "light"), Claire (meaning Light or clear in French), Roxana (of Old Persian origin, literally: "little shiny star" or "light") or Shweta in Sanskrit which means "white" or "pure".The short form of the name is Sveta.

What about you?

Have a nice day!Wink

2 May 2009      

nkappa
Greece

How do you know so many things?
Is there a site that gives all that?

2 May 2009     

nkappa
Greece

Means "all holy", derived from Greek παν (pan) "all" combined with �αγιος (hagios) "holy".

Panagiota.... is my name! and this its meaning....
(The mother of Jesus Christ)

2 May 2009     

gilorit
Israel

Hi Svetlana
If you were in Israel your name would be:
Orit , Or, Orly and names with the word Or in them - because Or means Light in Hebrew.
My name is Orit. Back in the year I was born(...) many girls got names with "Or" inside them. It was very popular. In my classes there were lways 2 - 3 other Orit, Orly etc.
Nowadays it is less popular. People prefer "Or" and that �s it.
Another reason I was called Orit is because I had a German grandmother whose name was Klara, and I understood it meant light too.
Orit ;-)

2 May 2009     

Portugal

Idalina.
It seems to be of German origin. In Portuguese we have another similar: Id�lia.
Derived from the Germanic element id meaning "work, labour". This name was brought to England by the Normans, though it eventually died out there in the Middle Ages (guess why....) It was strongly revived in the 19th century, in part due to the heroine in Alfred Lord Tennyson �s poem �The Princess � (1847), which was later adapted into the play �Princess Ida � (1884) by Gilbert and Sullivan.(http://www.behindthename.com/name/ida)
There are also many Idas in the teutonic legends, mostly warriors. ARGH!!!
In fact, my great grandfather was a jew of German origin and his mother �s name was Ida.
On the top of it, I �m a bit "workaholic".
Ida is also a flower and there are two mounts Ida, one un Turkey, another one in Crete.
Other people say my name is of latin origin, meaning coming from the city of Idalia.
Whatever the origin, I feel OK with it (except fot the work: I wish I could get rid of this karma)
:)))

2 May 2009     

daysealvesbarbosa
Brazil

My name, Dayse, comes from the English name, Daisy, which is a flower and whose meaning is Day �s Eye.�From the word denoting the flower. Derived fromday �s eye � because the flower uncovers a yellow centre during the day, which is then covered by petals come dusk.�

2 May 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

Thank you for this nice topic

My name is Arabic and it is in the Holy Qura �an

Noor means Light

2 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

For a long, long time, i thought my name was French, but then i discovered it was Irish !! (to my pleasure because i �m all fascinated with the country and its folklore) and it means �a ewe tree �. In my language i would be, then, called Tisa.

If you need an icebreaker for a group (intermediate+), this is an interesting activity for you. You find the meanings of your students � names and create a matching exercise. You could ask them what they �d like their names to mean and then see whether it matches their real name ...

2 May 2009     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Svetlana, you �re the best, you raise such interesting topics!
Orit, I named my 2nd daughter Linor -  after my grandfather "Meir". We couldn �t find a name we liked with "M", so we went after the meaning and not the first letter.

About my name: Aim�e is the correct spelling - a French name that means "Beloved" - I guess you all know the expression : "Je t �aime" - "I love you" - Here in Israel it �s not easy to say Aim�e, so everybody calls me "Emmy" -

2 May 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

Dear Svetlana,

You always have brilliant and original ideas.

If you were Spanish your name would be: Luz. And if you were catalan: Llum.
They both mean �light �
My name is Mar and it means �sea �. When I was a little girl people used to joke calling me �river � or �swimming pool � which I didn �t like at all Smile

Big hugs to all of you, my dear teachers, and have a fantastic Saturday!

2 May 2009     

svetamarik Svetlana
Russian Federation

Oh Ivona! Great idea. It will be really interesting to use it as an ice-breaker!

THANK YOU.

Wating for some more meanings...

2 May 2009     

1    2    3    4    5    Next >